DNA Solves Cold Cases/Parabon Nanolabs & GED/Match.

Here is a video and an article on opposing sides ethical argument regarding LE's use of DNA profiles at GEDMATCH:

Opinion | Want to See My Genes? Get a Warrant

I will post this comment piece as it is related to the above article in the New York Times:

When you take a commercial genetic test, you opt your whole family into warrantless state genetic surveillance

As I have said it is not for me to decide what the US does and it is up to the US and their public and lawmakers but it is an interesting subject and debate and all the facts need to be out in the public domain for people to make decisions.

Here is another recent interest article about DNA genealogy and here is the part of the article where Parabon describe how they only use the technique to solve the most serious crimes:

Detective Michael Webb, who worked the case, told reporters that no one is using Parabon “for small cases… these are cold cases, these are unidentified human remains that they’ve never been able to identify.” But some argue the Bentaas case blurs the line between clear use cases for forensic genetic genealogy and something that’s more difficult to define.

“A Baby Doe case is a special category,” Colleen Fitzpatrick, co-founder of nonprofit DNA Doe Project, told Wired in March. “It breaks apart this neat dichotomy between finding criminals who might still be dangerous and finding victims.”

Speaking to the gray area introduced by the case in Utah, Armentrout told Gizmodo that his personal feeling is that “a more nuanced definition of violent crime would be both useful and palatable to most people on GEDmatch and most American citizens.” He pointed a PLOS One survey conducted last year that found 91 percent of respondents felt law enforcement should be allowed to use genealogical databases to help solve violent crimes, defined by the authors as including rape, murder, arson, or kidnapping. (That figure fell sharply to 46 percent for nonviolent crimes, such as drug possession.)

“Think about that. It’s hard to get 91 percent of Americans to agree on anything,” Armentrout said. “It seems to me that the GEDmatch definition of violent crime is sometimes restrictive. We’ve declined to do genetic genealogy on cases that are clearly heinously violent based on that strict definition and the way it’s defined now. I would be in favor of a conversation among the community about a more nuanced definition of violent crime because the intent to commit to murder—failed attempts where people are maimed for life—clearly needs to be investigated with all the tools in the arsenal. But the terms of service right now don’t allow that.”

Whether or not users agree, these cases raise serious questions about who gets to decide when police are able to use ancestry-testing data to investigate crimes. In Utah, it seems, the genetic privacy of a million GEDmatch users (and an untold number of family members) came down to one man’s decision. And if private individuals are making these choices, where will they choose to draw the line? It’s likely these cases are just scratching the surface of how forensic genetic genealogy will change our lives, and that alone should alarm you.

https://briefgate.com/2019/06/13/ho...llers-but-who-decides-where-we-draw-the-line/

Not released how DNA may have been applied in the arrest of Marc Karun in cold case sexual assault and murder of 11 year old Kathleen Flynn which occurred in Connecticut 32 years ago.

One article -
In 2016, the Norwalk Police Department said it hoped recent advancements in DNA technology would lead investigators to the perpetrator.
----
Another article -
A man was arrested Wednesday in the 1986 cold case murder of an 11-year-old Connecticut girl who was strangled while walking home from school, police said.
----

Man arrested for 1986 cold case murder of 11-year-old girl

Arrest made in Norwalk cold case slaying of Kathleen Flynn, 11

CT - CT - Kathleen Flynn, 11, Ponus Ridge, 23 Sept 1986

Here is a report about the Golden State Killer case winning an award as the DNA hit of the year:

Golden State Killer Case Selected As 2019 DNA Hit Of The Year

Here is the report:

KOBE, Japan, Jun 17, 2019 (Canada NewsWire via COMTEX) -- The forty-five-year investigation resulted in arrest after law enforcement's use of investigative genetic genealogy

Gordon Thomas Honeywell Governmental Affairs (GTH-GA) has announced that the Golden State Killer case was selected as the 2019 DNA Hit of the Year. The case was selected from 70 cases submitted from 20 countries. It was chosen by a panel of seven international judges with career backgrounds in forensic DNA. The recognition was announced during the annual Human Identification Solutions (HIDS) Conference held in Kobe, Japan.

Now in its third year, the DNA Hit of the Year program is organized by GTH-GA, an international authority on DNA database policy, legislation, and law. "The 2019 list of cases expresses the extraordinary commitment police have to solve and prevent crime with forensic DNA databases," said Tim Schellberg, GTH-GA's President.

Judges selected the California case from seven finalists. The six runner-up cases were from Austria, Dubai, South Africa, Brazil, Massachusetts, and New York. A full list of submitted cases and a presentation on this year's selected case and other case highlights can be found at DNA: Hit of the Year

The Golden State Killer is accused of committing terrifying crimes between 1973 and 1986. Multiple DNA strategies were utilized while trying to solve these cases. The break in the case occurred when crime scene DNA was placed into a genealogy database and an investigative lead was developed through a distant relative. The announcement of the Golden State Killer's arrest through the use of investigative genetic genealogy set off a national phenomenon to identify suspects in some of the worst unsolved crimes in US history.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said: "Using investigative genetic genealogy to identify those who are accused of horrific crimes has revolutionized law enforcement's ability to solve violent crime. This new law enforcement tool is bringing hope to victims and their families who have waited decades for justice."

"Having the Golden State Killer case chosen as the 2019 Hit of the Year is a great honor. The DNA Hit of the Year program demonstrates the value of DNA databases to solve and prevent crime through real cases. It is my hope that governments continue to expand DNA programs to stop criminals and save lives," said District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert.

View original content:Golden State Killer Case Selected As 2019 DNA Hit Of The Year

SOURCE Gordon Thomas Honeywell Governmental Affairs

View original content: Golden State Killer Case Selected As 2019 DNA Hit Of The Year

SOURCE: Gordon Thomas Honeywell Governmental Affairs

Tim Schellberg tims@gth-gov.com +1 (253) 209-8818
Copyright (C) 2019 CNW Group. All rights reserved.

The murder of a pharmacist who was raped and strangled in her home in a South Dakota city more than half a century ago has been solved with the use of DNA technology and genealogy databases, police said.

Investigators believe Eugene Carroll Field killed 60-year-old Gwen Miller in 1968 when he was a 25-year-old living in Rapid City, Detective Wayne Keefe said at a news conference Monday. He said there was enough evidence to charge Field with first-degree murder, but that he died in 2009.

Investigators crack cold case murder of South Dakota woman

SD - SD - Gwen Miller, 60, Rapid City, 29 February 1968

Here is a report about the Golden State Killer case winning an award as the DNA hit of the year:

Golden State Killer Case Selected As 2019 DNA Hit Of The Year

Here is the report:

KOBE, Japan, Jun 17, 2019 (Canada NewsWire via COMTEX) -- The forty-five-year investigation resulted in arrest after law enforcement's use of investigative genetic genealogy

Gordon Thomas Honeywell Governmental Affairs (GTH-GA) has announced that the Golden State Killer case was selected as the 2019 DNA Hit of the Year. The case was selected from 70 cases submitted from 20 countries. It was chosen by a panel of seven international judges with career backgrounds in forensic DNA. The recognition was announced during the annual Human Identification Solutions (HIDS) Conference held in Kobe, Japan.

Now in its third year, the DNA Hit of the Year program is organized by GTH-GA, an international authority on DNA database policy, legislation, and law. "The 2019 list of cases expresses the extraordinary commitment police have to solve and prevent crime with forensic DNA databases," said Tim Schellberg, GTH-GA's President.

Judges selected the California case from seven finalists. The six runner-up cases were from Austria, Dubai, South Africa, Brazil, Massachusetts, and New York. A full list of submitted cases and a presentation on this year's selected case and other case highlights can be found at DNA: Hit of the Year

The Golden State Killer is accused of committing terrifying crimes between 1973 and 1986. Multiple DNA strategies were utilized while trying to solve these cases. The break in the case occurred when crime scene DNA was placed into a genealogy database and an investigative lead was developed through a distant relative. The announcement of the Golden State Killer's arrest through the use of investigative genetic genealogy set off a national phenomenon to identify suspects in some of the worst unsolved crimes in US history.

Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said: "Using investigative genetic genealogy to identify those who are accused of horrific crimes has revolutionized law enforcement's ability to solve violent crime. This new law enforcement tool is bringing hope to victims and their families who have waited decades for justice."

"Having the Golden State Killer case chosen as the 2019 Hit of the Year is a great honor. The DNA Hit of the Year program demonstrates the value of DNA databases to solve and prevent crime through real cases. It is my hope that governments continue to expand DNA programs to stop criminals and save lives," said District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert.

View original content:Golden State Killer Case Selected As 2019 DNA Hit Of The Year

SOURCE Gordon Thomas Honeywell Governmental Affairs

View original content: Golden State Killer Case Selected As 2019 DNA Hit Of The Year

SOURCE: Gordon Thomas Honeywell Governmental Affairs

Tim Schellberg tims@gth-gov.com +1 (253) 209-8818
Copyright (C) 2019 CNW Group. All rights reserved.

Here is a report from a forensic science magazine about this award. I would like to make the point that as of today Mr DeAngelo is an innocent man and the scientific methods used to identify him have yet to come under scrutiny in court:

https://www.forensicconnect.com/201...arners-global-acclaim-as-dna-hit-of-the-year/

Here is a report from a forensic science magazine about this award. I would like to make the point that as of today Mr DeAngelo is an innocent man and the scientific methods used to identify him have yet to come under scrutiny in court:

https://www.forensicconnect.com/201...arners-global-acclaim-as-dna-hit-of-the-year/

BBM

Once again, you do not include any serious link to support your claim. Please read the TOS and stick to them.
Mr De Angelo is presumed innocent until conviction just like any other suspect. Evidence has to be presented in court, just like in the case of any other suspect.

Mr De Angelo has been charged on the basis of DNA, not on the way that was used to find him.

If anything happened as of today where is the news from a MSM? Where are the examples? Not in that link, it leads first to a page with a short notice and from there to a page with access denied.

<modsnip >

Last edited by a moderator:
BBM

Once again, you do not include any serious link to support your claim. Please read the TOS and stick to them.
Mr De Angelo is presumed innocent until conviction just like any other suspect. Evidence has to be presented in court, just like in the case of any other suspect.

Mr De Angelo has been charged on the basis of DNA, not on the way that was used to find him.

If anything happened as of today where is the news from a MSM? Where are the examples? Not in that link, it leads first to a page with a short notice and from there to a page with access denied.

You have been invited to prove your point, you have been informed that you should substantiate your point and you continue to evade it.

Thanks for your post. I will not continue to post on this subject as you are right. I merely stated in my last post that Mr DeAngelo is innocent as of today and that is a fact. It is an important part of civilised societies you are innocent until you are proven guilty. I have provided evidence to support my claim and have clearly stated that I believe another man was the offender. Now is I was to state that again now no doubt you would say I was breaking Websleuths TOS. As an amateur sleuth you can not be clearer than stating the offender is someone else and backing it up with research. I am not in charge of any DNA database so cannot produce a rabbit out of a hat that is the responsibility of the FBI and the FBI alone. I could however give plenty of evidence with my research as to why my offender outside of the 'DNA Hit' is a much more likely suspect. If the DNA genealogy science is so strong it should be able to withstand one amateur sleuth questioning it based on their research. I will follow your advice on not directly post on the person I believe to be the actual offender but if allowed to will continue to post articles I find interesting on this interesting subject. The point I was making is the scientific community are presenting the DNA as scientific fact and it has yet to be confirmed as this in a court of law. Thanks for your interest.

The SCIENTIFIC methods used to identify him (DNA matching) have come 'under scrutiny' in literally thousands of court cases around the world in the last quarter century. They are as vetted and accepted by both the scientific and law enforcement communities as fingerprinting.

The SCIENTIFIC methods used to identify him (DNA matching) have come 'under scrutiny' in literally thousands of court cases around the world in the last quarter century. They are as vetted and accepted by both the scientific and law enforcement communities as fingerprinting.

just to be clear, DNA matching is one thing, but "genetic genealogy," sleuthing a family tree of perhaps 100s of individuals, is a much newer and less-established method -- ideally it will end, reverting back to an actual DNA match (depending how much and how degraded any remaining DNA is), but there are issues involved in it, especially since so few individuals at this point are even trained in doing it, nor strictly standardized criteria established.

A murdered man discovered in a Maryland trash can in 1985 has finally been identified through genetic genealogy, police said.
The victim, Roger Kelso, was killed when he was about 20 years old, Anne Arundel County police officials said at a news conference Wednesday. The murder took place around 1963.

'People still care': Man murdered in 1960s ID'd through genetic genealogy

Two WS threads.

MD - Roger Kelso. Body Discovered 1985. Anne Arundel County. 1963

Identified! - MD - Glen Burnie, WhtMale Skeletal 29UMMD, 18-30, in trash can, Apr'85-Roger Kelso

just to be clear, DNA matching is one thing, but "genetic genealogy," sleuthing a family tree of perhaps 100s of individuals, is a much newer and less-established method -- ideally it will end, reverting back to an actual DNA match (depending how much and how degraded any remaining DNA is), but there are issues involved in it, especially since so few individuals at this point are even trained in doing it, nor strictly standardized criteria established.
But the genetic part is only to find out who to check DNA against. There is still a final direct comparison of suspect DNA vs. evidentiary DNA. THAT science is well established. The genetic part is the detective work that identifies the suspect. Same as phone records or any other investigative tool.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back