Christopher Clements indicted for Isabel Celis & Maribel Gonzales homicides
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Do You Think This Cop Was Off Base?

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Steely Dan, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

This is from last year, but an interesting subject;

[video=youtube;IrgE_c8XgEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrgE_c8XgEM[/video]

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...o-shows-heated-traffic-stop-article-1.1460953

VIDEO: Stun gun-brandishing Ohio officer on paid leave after alarming footage shows heated moments after traffic stop
    The incident at a Washington Township mobile home park escalated Sunday when 40-year-old Aaron Tatkowski confronted Officer Eric Hart, who had just pulled over the man’s daughter-in-law. The video shows Tatkowski, his girlfriend and son on the ground and Hart pointing a stun gun. Police say the internal investigation is ongoing.
    BY Erik Ortiz
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Thursday, September 19, 2013, 10:19 AM

An Ohio cop has been placed on paid administrative leave after a video shows a routine traffic stop after it spun out of control.

The Washington Township Police Department says it’s investigating how Sunday’s incident escalated with a man, his girlfriend and his 14-year-old son all being cuffed — and the officer brandishing a stun gun at the man....

http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-F...n-Twp-officerput-on-leave-returns-to-job.html

Washington Twp. officer put on leave returns to job
    Review of traffic-stop video finds no wrongdoing

A Washington Township police officer is back on the job after authorities found no wrongdoing on a videotape of a traffic stop that had resulted in him being placed on paid administrative leave.

The tape, viewed more than a million times since it was posted online, depicts an encounter Officer Eric Hart had with at least two people Sept. 15 when he stopped a vehicle at 166 Pine Ridge St. in Raintree Village for having a license registration sticker that appeared to have been altered....

2. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

It looks like it crosses the line, but the more I find out about the story :dunno:

3. al66pine

al66pine New Member

Steely
    What else did you find out about this story?

4. angela

angela Member

IMO the people in the car were asking for trouble. I have no problem with the officer pulling out a stun gun when he was outnumbered and people are acting stupid and not following commands.

5. highflyer

highflyer New Member

It is hard to tell because we don't have the first part of the incident.
    But the police car is now blocked in by the pickup truck and the people on the ground are threatening the officer and saying their friends are going to come. Policeman in over his head and alone. Thought the officer should of not responded to the threats verbally, but did not see him hurt anyone. Hard call but the blocked in police car, verbal threats, aggressiveness seem to put the policeman in the right. He did not pull his gun and although he appeared afraid handled it without injury to anyone.

6. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

Everything in the OP is all I know.

7. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

I tend to agree with this.

8. al66pine

al66pine New Member

LEO was outnumbered, and more ppl were gathering in the area, not seeming (to me) to support LE.
    The detainees swore & insulted him, challenged authority, etc.
    Even though 3 ppl were cuffed and on the ground, why did they not shut up, as he requested?
    How hard would that have been for them to do?
    It seems, imo, the detainees were not showing any sign of cooperation w LE.
    I can't see that LEO drawing weapon, in these circumstances, is inappropriate show of force.
    And it was a stun gun, not designed for lethal use.

JM2cts.

9. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

My only big problem with this is that he grabbed a bystanders cell phone and threw it.

10. al66pine

al66pine New Member

Ditto.

11. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

The cell phone grab was over the top.

Having said that what is wrong with that couple? Why are they screaming, yelling and acting like crazy people? If they wanted the cop to calm down why didn't THEY calm down?

12. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

I agree. The only thing that bothers me is throwing the cell phone. The people were wackadoodles. JMO