Doctors save poisoned tourist using vodka drip

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Indy Gal, Oct 10, 2007.

  1. Indy Gal

    Indy Gal Former Member

    Messages:
    7,003
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21219366/?GT1=10450

    BRISBANE, Australia - Australian doctors said they plugged a poisoned Italian tourist into a vodka drip after running out of the medicinal alcohol they would normally have used to save his life.
    The 24-year-old Italian, who was not further identified, was diagnosed as having ingested a large quantity of ethylene glycol, a common ingredient in antifreeze that can cause renal failure.
    Pure alcohol
     
  2. Loading...


  3. FLMom

    FLMom Former Member

    Messages:
    1,160
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I'm probably the weird one reading this. I just went "oh", lol.

    This has been a long time treatment at vet hospitals for when animals accidentally get into antifreeze. There's a very expensive medicine you can give ( the name escapes me right now), or you can opt for the "poor man's treatment". So, in the safe with all of the controlled substances, were a couple of bottles of Everclear. If the poisoning is caught early enough, the possibility for a good outcome is pretty good.

    Drawback? Yeah, lol. . . . spending the night with a dog that has "tied one on". Most are howlers!
     
  4. close_enough

    close_enough Inactive

    Messages:
    14,956
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    "The patient was drip-fed about three standard drinks an hour for three days in the intensive care unit," he said. "The hospital's administrators were also very understanding when we explained our reasons for buying a case of vodka."

    yes, i heard this on the radio this morning, while at work!....they said he stayed a total of 21 days in the hospital, & is doing fine now....it's rumored, per the radio station i was listening to, that the guy was trying to commit suicide.....wild!
     
  5. Indy Gal

    Indy Gal Former Member

    Messages:
    7,003
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    When i read that article, I have never heard of this and was like, WOW....LOL
     
  6. dingo

    dingo Former Member

    Messages:
    13,720
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    .
    Three standard drinks an hour for three days...I wonder how Lenny Liver is taking this:eek:
     
  7. Autumn2004

    Autumn2004 Inactive

    Messages:
    2,440
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Yikes! I drink a beer anymore and Im buzzed. I cant imagine ingesting that much alcohol.
     
  8. Taximom

    Taximom Former Member

    Messages:
    16,234
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I want to know why alcohol helps! That is so interesting to me. I wonder how many bad jokes and come-on's the nurses, doctors and other patients had to put up with. :D

    I'll never understand why they can't put a bitter taste in anti-freeze. I know this was suicide but a lot of times you hear it was accidental.

    Hmm. I learn something new everyday.
     
  9. Amraann

    Amraann Former Member

    Messages:
    9,705
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Can you imagine the hangover????
     
  10. joyfulmorning

    joyfulmorning New Member

    Messages:
    138
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    This story is awesome. I guess you learn something new everyday. LOL
     
  11. CaliKid

    CaliKid Former Member

    Messages:
    4,646
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    So I guess the moral of this story is to be sure to keep some vodka around in case your child gets into antifreeze.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice