• No she doesn't

Votes: 55 20.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Don't care

Votes: 61 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My point is that it does his career no good to alienate the judge and the whole legal system. He will suffer for years to come because of it.

Handled himself well? Maybe you and I have been watching different cases. I will say that I am not an attorney and have never needed one so my scope is limited. I can say that I am familiar with the English language and public speaking. In my job I hear many Fortune 500 CEO's speak. They are fluent and do not start every other sentence with "Umm".

I also follow many cases. The judge seldom has to walk the attorney through how to properly file motions. Other attorneys media statements are clear and concise. Not bellicose and obtuse. I am also not sure if I have ever heard another attorney giving a press conference where he whines about treatment received from everyone involved in the judicial or enforcement communities. It is all just a smokescreen to try and take the focus away from a heinous crime and overwhelming evidence. Give me Mr. Nejame anytime over Mr. Baez.

Cheers y'all

We will have to agree to disagree. I was in Court once, where a lawyer more concerned with keeping the Judge happy than protecting his client's rights, was more than happy to let a trial continue without the accused having an interpreter (the accused didn't speak a word of english). It was a re-trial from a successful appeal and the fellow was serving life without parole for a drug offence, so this was no minor matter and he certainly required an interpreter to understand what was being said. Thankfully there was a lawyer in the Court more concerned with their client than their career prospects, and that lawyer threatened to have the UN attend the court room if the Judge did not get him an interpreter. After that, the Judge got the guy an interpreter. Which lawyer would you rather have?

I am pretty sure we are watching the same proceedings. I'm not saying he's the best lawyer in the USA, but I do think other than his press skills, he is covering his client's position, which is what a good lawyer does.

He is still relatively inexperienced, and has a lot to learn, but I don't think he is anywhere near incompetent.

I voted no simply because I think they deserve each other. I think that a lot of the things he has done so far show a certain immaturity, and we have to remember that no matter what his qualifications or lack there of are, it is KC who is calling the shots. He works for her and has to do what she wants. He can advise her until he is blue in the face, but in the end, it is what she wants that gets done. Thus, the apparent lack of finesse seen so far. As a whole, I think he has done the best he could with what he has been given, but what he has been given so far is a lot of hooey! Imaginary nannys, lie after lie, finger pointing. Nothing of substance. We will have to see how this plays out. KC may very well get an appeal, but not necessarily based on ineffective council. And if she does, so be it. She can hear the awful truth and "guilty" verdict twice! JMO

IMO, there is no way the Court will interfere with her right to choose her own counsel, at least at this stage.

Re John B., I wasn't all that surprised to hear he's an ex-con. I've known other defence lawyers to hire ex-cons before.....not bad for business (criminals know criminals) and who better than a defence lawyer to give an ex-con a break. I know it sounds odd to many of you, but at least SOME (and i'm not saying necessarily John B.) do deserve a second chance after doing their time.

Other than his bumbling in front of the media, I really don't think he's doing that bad a job....please don't hate me for it. He may have lost some of his Motions, but that's the way it goes...you make the application to cover yourself on appeal. At least where I come from, you can't raise a matter for appeal generally, if you did not take the objection, make the applications etc during the proceedings.

He's gathered a decent panel of experts (I'm not saying i like them all), and thankfully is now getting assistance from more experienced counsel.

So, unless there is some proof that he is doing something improper, and right now it's just allegations, I can't see how he could possibly be removed.

Re the bracelet, imo, not a biggy. IMO, pretty obviously put in there by Cindy and I think she has a lot of gall denying it and getting him in trouble for it. I would bet she has a box of them at home, and JB probably never even saw one til it showed up in the media. His big mistake was trusting Cindy to not try to sneak in any contraband. I myself have in the past checked in clothes for people in jail, and have never thought to double check pockets etc if I trusted the people I got them from. At the end of the day, I think it was Cindy with the intent, not JB.

Please don't hate me, but those are my opinions.

I agree!

I don't want her to get an appeal just because he's inept!

That has been my opinion all along. It almost looks like he is doing some of this stuff on purpose - anybody who watches TV knows better.

My vote would be yes.
KC may be rotten to the bone, but it would be best to do a "susan smith" and come clean so that everyone has the relief of getting to the truth.
A good lawyer would make it clear to her that her lies are going to go down like acid the courtroom, dissolving any chance she has of acquital.
JB encourages her to lie and play chameleon in the courtroom.
The whole dream team scenario is embarrasingly circus-like.

:chicken:

i voted yes because i do not think casey is as informed as a client should be. i think she has been tied up into a group of manipulators the likes of which she only hoped at one time she could be. i think she has a bit of stockholm syndrome going on with JB and Co. where she will do or say whatever they want her to without being in the loop. i think in august she was sensing that she was not going to be calling the shots and was pleading with her family. she told them that she knew who she could and could not speak with and that she was not supposed to even be talking to them. that time has passed for them to help her. i wonder if this case would have been over with by now. i tend to think so.

We will have to agree to disagree. I was in Court once, where a lawyer more concerned with keeping the Judge happy than protecting his client's rights, was more than happy to let the trial continue without the accused having an interpreter (the accused didn't speak a word of english). It was a re-trial from a successful appeal and the fellow was serving life without parole for a drug offence, so this was no minor matter and he certainly required an interpreter to understand what was being said. Thankfully there was a lawyer in the Court more concerned with their client than their career prospects, and that lawyer threatened to have the UN attend the court room if the Judge did not get him an interpreter. After that, the Judge got the guy an interpreter. Which lawyer would you rather have?

I am pretty sure we are watching the same proceedings. I'm not saying he's the best lawyer in the USA, but I do think other than his press skills, he is covering his client's position, which is what a good lawyer does.

He is still relatively inexperienced, and has a lot to learn, but I don't think he is anywhere near incompetent.

Being a good attorney does not exclude him from being able to get along with the judge and LE. To ask which I would rather have is not a fair question. It implies that there are no attorneys that can adequately represent their client while maintaining a good personal or professional relationship with those that they contact in the course of their duties.

My sense of fairness makes me want Casey to have an adequate defense. I, once again, do not think an adequate or a great defense is going to change things. There seems to be a heap of evidence against her. But she should have the events and precedings explained to her and understand the steps along the way. I am not concerned with an appeal due to inadequate representation. She is retaining world class experts to help her. Way more than I, and most reading here, could afford.

So you are correct. We will have to agree to disagree. I do agree that your friend was due an interpretor. :blowkiss:

KC has a decent enough team to defend her well. She needs a fair trial. I think JB is capable of that despite his antics. I'd rather she face the jury with him than with some slick wheeler and dealer of an attorney that could actually put her back on the street.

Being a good attorney does not exclude him from being able to get along with the judge and LE. To ask which I would rather have is not a fair question. It implies that there are no attorneys that can adequately represent their client while maintaining a good personal or professional relationship with those that they contact in the course of their duties.

My sense of fairness makes me want Casey to have an adequate defense. I, once again, do not think an adequate or a great defense is going to change things. There seems to be a heap of evidence against her. But she should have the events and precedings explained to her and understand the steps along the way. I am not concerned with an appeal due to inadequate representation. She is retaining world class experts to help her. Way more than I, and most reading here, could afford.

So you are correct. We will have to agree to disagree. I do agree that your friend was due an interpretor. :blowkiss:

Sometimes being a good attorney does require you to put the Judge off side, but that's the way it goes.

I think a good attorney does their best to keep everyone on side if they think it will help their case to do so, but also is willing to forget about his own career prospects and take on a Judge or SA when they have to. I think JB is still quite green, and hasn't quite figured out how to operate other than in aggresive mode...I think quite a few lawyers start out that way, but mellow with time.

He wasn't actually my friend, but he was certainly due an interpreter.

I don't want her to get an appeal just because he's inept!
:clap: That is EXACTLY the reason I wish someone with more experience were defending her. The man cannot even file motions, depose, or issue subpeonas in the right way! It is like a nurse who doesn't know how to take a blood pressure! In my field (open heart) if you cannot manage arterial lines or balloon pumps you don't work there! It seems that the same standard could be cross applied in this case. I do not want to see appeals drag on and on because of the legal infancy of JB (imhoo of course)

It's not KC that needs a new atty, it's Lee, for goodness sake.

No, JB is fine for the job. There may be a ton of lawyers out there who have ex-cons working for them. bunnyphoenix is right... many deserve a second chance. Todd Black did not commit a violent crime.

I think it's interesting how JB became her lawyer... just upon recommendation of people she didn't even know. I think at this point they've created a bond, and she depends on him for some degree of emotional support, and he knows it.

I hope she keeps JB.

I think so too but, imo, she also needs someone with more experience and somebody much more professional.....less "oily".

Also, I still find it strange how they "found one another".

moo

When I look at Baez, I remove all the media hipe, and all the distaste for Casey and family, etc., etc. and only view what happens in court.
I try to do that as well.... (and hi Patty g!) My post above, just to clarify, was based on my opinion because of reports on his failure to properly file paperwork and do things in the correct legal order.

Bunny, since you have court experience, could these things that I mentioned be reason for an appeal? If they are not then I guess I change the way I vote... As long as Casey does not get an appeal based on inadequate representation d/t Jose's immaturity as a lawyer I could care less if she gets a new atty or not. I just would hate to see justice drug one centimeter longer because of something such as inadequate representation.... TIA for your insight, bunny :)

I don't believe KC found JB in the manner that his been publicized. I think there is more to that story.....don't know what....but definitely more....

speaking of "finding one another"....waaaaaaay back in this case (and back when we were on general discussion threads....I will have to dig to find it as there is a media link as well).. it was dug up/figured out here that Jose's daughter, Christina (who also works with him) went to the same high school as Casey and they knew one another..

No way Jose! They are a match made in heaven as far as I am concerned. KC needs someone to bat her eyelashes and flirt with, someone to lighten up her court appearances by making her giggle, someone to keep her from focusing on the reality of the situation, from having to recall the last moments of her daughters life by pretending to believe in her innocence. Jose needs KC for the media attention.

I would like to see Baez off this case even though I think he and Casey deserve each other.

My reason is Baez' carelessly written motions, his demeanor, his distinguished 'spokesperson/media advisor' who is a convicted felon, and because I do want this circus atmosphere to die down before trial. I want Casey to be convicted 'fair and square' with no technicalities for a mistrial. I have seen many lawyers in court, and this guy ain't IT.

I want justice for Caylee and not through a three ring circus.

Personally, I've been highly underwhelmed by his pleadings and courtroom abilities. I don't think his inabilities actually rise to the level of ineffective counsel, but I don't think he's doing her any favors.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an appeal based on poor counsel, though I don't think she'd win. I just would prefer a different atty that I think does a better job, has more experience, and actually has her rights as his foremost concern, not how he looks on television.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back