Does letter to FBI prove Alcatraz escapees survived?

gregjrichards

Reaction score
For years Americans have wondered what happened to the three inmates who made a dangerous escape from the island of Alcatraz in 1962

Brothers John and Clarence Anglin and Frank Morris disappeared into the night and have never been found - leading many to believe they drowned.

But a handwritten letter, reportedly sent to authorities in 2013 but only made public this week, suggests that at least one of the men, John Anglin, may still be alive.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sts-Alcatraz-escapee-ALIVE.html#ixzz555EAanZd

74D8F783-8752-46F7-A139-8FFAB187D623.jpeg

2F8DBE92-880C-4C08-AA56-0C16B2776A92.jpeg

Nephews to escapee brothers John and Clarence Anglin - who tunneled out of their prison cell along with Frank Morris 56 years ago - believe John, who was claimed to have sent the chilling letter, could still be alive.

Ken and David Widner have slammed the 'inhumane' San Francisco Police Department, after it was revealed authorities had been keeping the letter secret since 2013.

'I know that if that was John, he would have come to us - not gone to the FBI,' nephew Ken said, while speaking with The Sun in an interview.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Alcatraz-escapee-slam-authorities-letter.html

I agree - This case has always fascinated me as well. A while back I heard the brothers survived and went to Brazil and lived their lives (Article below). The pictures certainly resemble the men. But why Brazil? They would have stuck out, especially if they didn't speak the language. And why Brazil?

I don't know why, but I kind-of root for them to have escaped. Even though I know they were criminals who deserved to be in prison.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nt-sentences-commuted-come-home-43-years.html

I saw a show on this a week or so ago. It way pretty creditable. The research mentioned in the Daily Mail article sounds like the stuff I saw. Apparently timing was everything for the success or failure of the escape. I to a look ahead on listings and found "Mysteries of the Missing" on the Science Channel, an Alcatraz episode is on Tues, 1/31 at 2:00. I think that was the show.

_60840290_compalcatraz.jpg

• left to right: Frank Lee Morris, Clarence Anglin, John Anglin

A part of me wishes they made it but I doubt it. I know they had professional swimmers attempt to swim it and some even made it but they were in top physical shape and trained for it. The Anglin brothers and Frank Morris were not good swimmers and there raft probably wasn't top notch either. There was also the temperature of the water which would have affected them.

This fascinates me as well.. We visited Alcatraz years ago, back in the mid 90’s I think it was. Intriguing but also kind of a creepy place. They still had the cells showing the escape route, tools they made, even the paper mache heads in the bed, etc.

I personally think they made it back to shore alive. But, it’s just a feeling I’ve always had.

FBI was told that two Alcatraz escapees had been seen in Rio in 1965 - ten years before smuggler friend took picture that 'proves' they made it out alive | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
If Frank Morris and Anglin brothers really survived they were pure geniuses...and very lucky.

The FBI has always been very quick to put out press releases about their successes in capturing criminals - or in taking credit for it. But they are pretty quiet about the ones who get away or elude them for years.

Alcatraz was supposed to be the ultimate in maximum security federal prisons. Having a successful escape occur would be a major embarrassment for many concerned. While it is true that an escape would have been extremely difficult, these guys proved that it wasn't impossible.

Federal investigations into the escape - which was immortalized in the 1979 film Escape From Alcatraz - concluded that the Anglin brothers and Morris must have drowned in the San Pablo Bay.

But for years, speculation has grown that the men may have survived and continued to live under cover, with theorists pointing to the fact that their bodies had never been recovered, and evidence that a raft was recovered on nearby Angel Island as well as evidence that a car was stolen on the mainland that night by three unidentified men.

Then in 2013, authorities received a handwritten letter suggesting that John may have still been alive, forcing U.S. Marshals to reopen the case in 2018.

It is unclear if there are any new developments in the investigation, but U.S. Marshals have now posted age-progressed photos of the wanted convicts.

On its website, it describes Clarence as having a tattoo 'Zona' on his left arm, and 'Nita' tattooed on his right arm. He is described as having a scar on his right upper arm and a scar on his lip.

Clarence, who was sentenced to 15 years in prison for an armed bank robbery in Columbia, Alabama, would be 91 years old today if he is still alive.

His brother, John, meanwhile, is described as having a scar on his left cheek, another on his forearm and a third on his forehead. His photo was age progressed to 84, but if he were alive, John would be 92 today.

Officials also describe Morris - who has previously used the pseudonyms Carl Cecil Clark, Frank Laine and Frank Lane - as having a removed tattoo on his forehead, and scars on his left upper arm and left elbow.

He was sentenced to 14 years in prison for a bank burglary in Slidell, Louisiana, and federal authorities age-progressed his booking photo to the age of 88 - though he would be 96 if he were still alive.

Anyone with information about their possible whereabouts is asked to call the US Marshals San Francisco Office at (415) 436 - 7677 and press Option Two.

In a statement, officials said: 'The ongoing U.S. Marshals investigation of the 1962 escape from Alcatraz federal prison serves as a warning to fugitives: That regardless of time, we will continue to look for you and bring you to justice.' More photos at link:
1655748289597.jpeg

alcatraz2.jpg

(U.S. Department of Justice)

Alcatraz was meant for “prisoners who refused to conform to the rules and regulations at other Federal institutions, who were considered violent and dangerous, or who were considered escape risks”. In the BOP’s own words, it was “designed to be a prison system’s prison”, where prisoners learned how to earn “privileges” (such as “working, corresponding with and having visits from family members, access to the prison library, and recreational activities”) before they could be sent to serve the rest of their sentences elsewhere.

So, how did the Anglin brothers and Morris make it out? According to the FBI, they loosened air vents in their cells, creating enough space to allow them to get out. Then, they used an unguarded utility corridor as a “secret workshop” where they assembled the necessary tools for their escape. These included, according to the bureau, homemade life preservers and a life raft made from 50 raincoats. (The men are believed to have found instructions on how to assemble the makeshift life preservers and life raft in magazines.) They also manufactured a periscope-like tool to keep watch on the guards while they worked, wooden paddles, and a tool to inflate the raft. “Using a network of pipes,” the men “climbed up and eventually pried open the ventilator” at the top of the building. They made a fake bolt using soap to conceal their preparations.

On the night of their escape, the men are believed to have left their cells, collected their supplies, and climbed their way up to the roof. “Then, they shimmied down the bakery smoke stack at the rear of the cell house, climbed over the fence, and snuck to the northeast shore of the island and launched their raft,” per the FBI’s account.

But why Brazil? They would have stuck out, especially if they didn't speak the language. And why Brazil?
Because the USA does not have an extradition treaty with Brazil, so they would be free to live out their days there. The Brazilian police wouldn't be able to arrest them, or extradite them back to the USA.

In the UK, the Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs also went to Brazil for exactly the same reason - the authorities couldn't touch him.

alcatraz2.jpg

(U.S. Department of Justice)

Alcatraz was meant for “prisoners who refused to conform to the rules and regulations at other Federal institutions, who were considered violent and dangerous, or who were considered escape risks”. In the BOP’s own words, it was “designed to be a prison system’s prison”, where prisoners learned how to earn “privileges” (such as “working, corresponding with and having visits from family members, access to the prison library, and recreational activities”) before they could be sent to serve the rest of their sentences elsewhere.

So, how did the Anglin brothers and Morris make it out? According to the FBI, they loosened air vents in their cells, creating enough space to allow them to get out. Then, they used an unguarded utility corridor as a “secret workshop” where they assembled the necessary tools for their escape. These included, according to the bureau, homemade life preservers and a life raft made from 50 raincoats. (The men are believed to have found instructions on how to assemble the makeshift life preservers and life raft in magazines.) They also manufactured a periscope-like tool to keep watch on the guards while they worked, wooden paddles, and a tool to inflate the raft. “Using a network of pipes,” the men “climbed up and eventually pried open the ventilator” at the top of the building. They made a fake bolt using soap to conceal their preparations.

On the night of their escape, the men are believed to have left their cells, collected their supplies, and climbed their way up to the roof. “Then, they shimmied down the bakery smoke stack at the rear of the cell house, climbed over the fence, and snuck to the northeast shore of the island and launched their raft,” per the FBI’s account.
They actually sound like fairly intelligent people who probably could've held good jobs in manufacturing or engineering. I always wonder why live a life of crime instead of using those skills to live a good life?

They actually sound like fairly intelligent people who probably could've held good jobs in manufacturing or engineering. I always wonder why live a life of crime instead of using those skills to live a good life?
Some people don't like the 9 to 5 or having people in charge of them.
Plus, crime quite often pays better wages, if you don't get caught. And no tax to be paid.
So, there are positives, if you don't mind the risk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lover305
Back