GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Does the flu shot really work?

Discussion in 'The Poll Forum! Public Welcome To Participate' started by Kimster, Jan 8, 2014.

?

Did you get a flu shot this season?

1. Yes

372 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. No, I don't think they work

134 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. No, they are not safe

86 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. No, I have a health issue that doesn't allow it

21 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. Other: please explain

52 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. tarabull

tarabull Life is a puzzle.

2. Curious Me

Curious Me Long-Time Member from back in the day

I'm sure it was a reaction to the flu shot. Do an internet search on the subject. In general, they say we don't build up an immunity for up to a month after getting the shot.

3. Curious Me

Not to beat a dead horse, but I want to let others know hives can be a common reaction to the flu shot. This is from my doctor's office, in reply, after I notified them of the reaction I had.

"...I am sorry that you had this reaction to the flu shot. This kind of reaction to the flu shot is common. Please continue taking the Benadryl at night (please do not drive or operate any heavy machinery after taking), and you can also try Hydrocortisone cream over the area as well as cool compresses to help with the swelling and itching. If your symptoms are persisting or getting worse, please call the Appointment Center..."

Thankfully, they're gone!

charminglane likes this.
  4. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Curious Me, could you be allergic to eggs? There have been allergic reactions to flu shots that might contain egg-related substance (protein). I'm not allergic to eggs but do have a minor allergy to wheat (extracts) that can also be found in some flu vaccines.

Laughing and Curious Me like this.
  5. Curious Me

Good question. No problem with eggs. I do have some reactions to latex gloves and elastics. I was told not to worry about the shot containing any latex. This is the first year I had a skin reaction.

BetteDavisEyes, you're smart to be aware of what might personally trigger reactions.

I still think it's a good idea to get a flu shot.

6. mynoyb

mynoyb Member

My daughter, 2x when she was a baby. Never had another shot and has never had the flu in 12 years.

Edited to add I'm not anti vax. My daughter has had all recommended vaccinations except for flu.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 4:25 PM
  7. mynoyb

mynoyb Member

I've never had a flu shot and the last time I remember having the flu was 1987. My husband has not had a flu shot since I've known him (20 years) and he's had the flu once.

I believe eating healthy (including cutting out/down on sugar and artificial dyes and preservatives), keeping our immune systems strong and good hygiene have been the reasons we are able to keep the flu at bay.

8. mynoyb

mynoyb Member

Deleted...double post.

9. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

Flu shot last week at Costco, for free. Husband got his at the VA.

The more people who get a flu shot, the less likely the flu will become an epidemic. Herd immunity. I will never miss a flu shot, the flu I caught 20 years ago, debilitated me for months. Never again.

Laughing and ZaZara like this.
  10. mynoyb

mynoyb Member

In a 2014 analysis in the Oregon Law Review by New York University (NYU) legal scholars Mary Holland and Chase E. Zachary (who also has a Princeton-conferred doctorate in chemistry), the authors show that 60 years of compulsory vaccine policies “have not attained herd immunity for any childhood disease.”

11. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

But has it potentially stopped diseases from being an epidemic?

Laughing likes this.
  12. ZaZara

ZaZara Well-Known Member

Mary Holland is an anti-vaxxer advocate who also defends Andrew Wakefield, comparing him to Nelson Mandela and Vaclav Havel to name a few.

[​IMG]

Laughing likes this.
  13. Nadi

Nadi Active Member

I see a few problems with that article, first the site itself, Vaccine Safety Council of Minnesota. The name itself misleadingly implies some sort of official status but in actuality I could go register a website today, call it the Vaccine Safety Council of Ontario and put up any articles I choose. They can publish absolutely anything they want on the site and there is nothing that requires it to be true . Second its not a medical study its an opinion piece. Just because the authors published that they came to that conclusion doesn't make it true. Neither author is a doctor or related professional. They are lawyers. Neither face the same consequences a doctor etc could for publishing a medical study/article. When my mothers doctor and cardiologist strongly advise her to get the flu shot or when my doctor advises me to get the flu shot I will take their advice every time over anything I read online. Not only do they have a vested interest in keeping their patients alive, their advice is actually a MEDICAL opinion and they have to actually stand behind the advice they give or face some pretty serious consequences.

All imo.

Laughing and mickey2942 like this.