Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and wouldn’t you know another heart attack!

I read that the symptoms of pesticide poisoning mimics the same symptoms of a heart attack. Trouble breathing, tightness or pain in chest. And pulmonary edema is a result of pesticide poisoning, it happened to many of the victims in Bhopal, 1984 Union Carbide disaster.

I wonder if it only affects people who have a health issue already, or if these particular people had been in the same place, drank the same stuff, or if the poisoning was deliberate or random.

I read that the symptoms of pesticide poisoning mimics the same symptoms of a heart attack. Trouble breathing, tightness or pain in chest. And pulmonary edema is a result of pesticide poisoning, it happened to many of the victims in Bhopal, 1984 Union Carbide disaster.

I wonder if it only affects people who have a health issue already, or if these particular people had been in the same place, drank the same stuff, or if the poisoning was deliberate or random.
I was just wondering the same thing because Miranda was 41, Cynthia 49, and Yvette 51. I’m 47 so was thinking my chances of vacationing at this resort just tripled my chances of dying from a heart attack while on vacation...

I was just wondering the same thing because Miranda was 41, Cynthia 49, and Yvette 51. I’m 47 so was thinking my chances of vacationing at this resort just tripled my chances of dying from a heart attack while on vacation...

That is probably the average age of the vacationers who have enough disposable income to travel, and are young enough to enjoy the variety of activities available.

I am actually surprised that this information became such public knowledge. Things occur on vacations, and hardly ever get reported. Which is why it seems not only targeted to this company, but also arranged to have the information about the guests affected so readily available for main stream media.

Mom, don't worry about your own heart attack but it is known that going on vacation is a (small) stressor and they are in the prime age for 'unexpected' heart attacks. Many thousands of people are unaware that they have blocked arteries for instance, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Although two of these people, one via his meds and the lady with pre-existing heart problems, already knew they had higher than average risks.

Anyone, who is considered 'healthy' can suffer a sudden 'cardiac death' from an arrhythmia, as do many young athletes every year.

People DO die everywhere, all the time as well. Sadly.

Just helping to put 'life events'/ 'death events' into perspective.

ETA: also going into a hot climate when not accustomed to the heat can stress the body, they can/do have strokes and heart attacks from the added work required of the heart.

Last edited:
Mom, don't worry about your own heart attack but it is known that going on vacation is a stressor and they are, like it or not, in the prime age for 'unexpected' heart attacks. Many thousands of people are unaware that they have blocked arteries for instance, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Although two of these people, one via his meds and the lady with pre-existing heart problems, already knew they had higher than average risks.

Anyone, who is considered 'healthy' can suffer a sudden 'cardiac death' from an arrhythmia, as do many young athletes every year.

True, but these women are young for MI's. And giving the cause of death as Heart Attack kinda puts the lid on queries and doesn't require a great expenditure of resources by the agency.

I'm pretty skeptical about the DR's interest in doing extensive work that might disclose some malfeasance that would shut down the tourist business

Mom, don't worry about your own heart attack but it is known that going on vacation is a (small) stressor and they are, like it or not, in the prime age for 'unexpected' heart attacks. Many thousands of people are unaware that they have blocked arteries for instance, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Although two of these people, one via his meds and the lady with pre-existing heart problems, already knew they had higher than average risks.

No not worried. Sorry I was being facetious. I’m aware heart attacks can occur at any age. However, of all the middle age women I know, can’t think of a single one who suddenly dropped dead from a massive heart attack. I know of one who had a heart attack but didn’t die. So it’s just crazy to me that there are 3 who possibly died while on vacation at the same location within a very short time frame. Possible? Yes of course anything is possible.

DR says they have 30 million visitors a year. I read that somewhere.

That ‘s a lot of people so deaths happen.

I still think some kind of pesticide issue. But then why did not more people get sick

^^^ exactly. Totally agree.

Organophosphates used to be legal up here and many thousands of people had their lawns sprayed monthly. They weren't dropping like flies although a few got cancers later. Causal?? Who knows.

DR says they have 30 million visitors a year. I read that somewhere.

That ‘s a lot of people so deaths happen.

I still think some kind of pesticide issue. But then why did not more people get sick
Ok but that’s not 30 million Americans and that’s not 30 million staying at this particular resort. So IMO that’s an awful lot of deaths in one place in one week. And even if we can explain it as normal deaths for the sheer number of tourists visiting. Why is just Americans?

Who says its just Americans? Link please.

Its the Americans getting reported but others will have died there too, IMO

Many Canadians go there as well, its cheap and many people like/love the all inclusive idea.

ABC news has an article where the hotel is fighting back about the 'false information' being given out before the autopsy results are in; the staff are being blamed/threatened.

There was some information about the autopsies, Day had an enlarged heart/liver. Her partner had an enlarged liver and lung. The other lady had a blocked artery.

Seems they were the walking 'sick' about to blow. Between the heat, abnormal exertion and possible drug effects (Day and her partner) they well may be natural deaths.

Who says its just Americans? Link please.

Its the Americans getting reported but others will have died there too, IMO

Many Canadians go there as well, its cheap and many people like/love the all inclusive idea.

ABC news has an article where the hotel is fighting back about the 'false information' being given out before the autopsy results are in; the staff are being blamed/threatened.

There was some information about the autopsies, Day had an enlarged heart/liver. Her partner had an enlarged liver and lung. The other lady had a blocked artery.

Seems they were the walking 'sick' about to blow. Between the heat, abnormal exertion and possible drug effects (Day and her partner) they well may be natural deaths.
I’m saying it’s just Americans reporting they fell seriously ill or poisoned or deceased in recent months. I can’t find anything anywhere where any other person from any other country has reported the same. Which with all the international headlines, if any other country had similar circumstances we would have heard by now.
I’m also well aware of the DR autopsy results and quite frankly i’m A bit skeptical to believe a woman who was 49 and her partner who was 63 both had similar ailments and both happened to die on the same day of natural causes. I’ll wait to hear from the U.S. medical examiner on those reports. Here r photos of that couple from that very trip. Do they look like they r about to drop dead? JMO

Woman died in a Dominican Republic hotel room five days before couple's death | Daily Mail Online

All three US tourists who died in Dominican Republic suffered respiratory failure | Daily Mail Online

Do you happen to have the link where you read that Day had an enlarged heart and liver? Here's what I found about any pre-existing health conditions:

"The couple had internal bleeding, including in their pancreases. Holmes had an enlarged heart and cirrhosis of the liver — both signs of significant pre-existing disease. Day also had fluid in her brain. The couple also had fluid in their lungs, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez Sanchez’s office said in a statement."

Early autopsy results are so far inconclusive for 3 Americans who died at a Dominican Republic resort

Even if Day and Holmes both had severe pre-existing heart disease, the chances that they'd both die at the same time of the same causes -- including something as specific as a bleeding pancreas and pulmonary edema -- would be extremely rare.

Also, I hadn't noticed this before, but in the DailyMail article cited above, it states that Holmes actually called for a hotel doctor on Thursday morning, the same day they were later found dead:

"Day and Holmes were due to leave the island last Thursday - the same day their bodies were found in a room.

"Holmes had called for a hotel doctor on Thursday morning, complaining that he felt ill, but authorities say he refused medical help when the physician appeared."

Woman claims she vomited BLOOD after taking ill at same resort where three US tourists died | Daily Mail Online

I am wondering if that info is reliable. Very odd that he called for a doctor and then refused care. Why? Did the doctor actually see both Holmes and Day alive at that time? If the doctor had come on Thursday morning, and they were both feeling well enough to send the doctor away, and then they were found dead later that day, that's a small window of time for them to both get sick and die. Also, they must have died around the same time, but one of them had to have died first. Why didn't the other call for help? Too sick by then? That would indicate they must have died/fallen violently ill within a TINY time frame, likely minutes.

I am now starting to wonder if Holmes/Day was possibly a murder-suicide. Either that, or they died around the same time because they were exposed to a fatal toxin at the same time. One thing I feel confident about is that these were not natural deaths. Too many coincidences.

Three More People Say They Got Seriously Sick At The Dominican Republic Resort Where Three Americans Died

Three more people have told BuzzFeed News they became ill at the same Dominican Republic resort where three visitors recently died.

Edward Nathaniel Holmes and Cynthia Ann Day of Maryland were found dead in their room at the Grand Bahia Principe La Romana hotel on May 30, with police saying they died of respiratory failure and pulmonary edema, or fluid in the lungs.

Five days earlier, another tourist, Miranda Schaup-Werner, collapsed and died at the resort's adjacent hotel, the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville. Local authorities determined that Schaup-Werner died from a heart attack, according to the resort.

(more at link)

*and all the hotel is worried about right now is how these incidents are affecting their reputation:

"And in a statement Friday, Bahia Principe criticized the "dissemination of false information issued publicly, which threatens the image and reputation of the company," although the resort did not specify what reporting it had deemed false."

i truly hope people are cancelling their reservations in droves.

Last edited:

"Myroslav Sparavalo, a 58-year-old in New York, also said he had a medical scare just over a month ago at the Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville [same place as Schaup-Werner].

"Three days into the trip with his wife, he began feeling unwell at dinner. Hours later, he experienced hypertensive crisis...

"There, a doctor noted he had "noisy lungs," typical of a smoker, even though Sparavalo does not smoke. The doctor also noted that he had fluid in his lungs...:

Do you happen to have the link where you read that Day had an enlarged heart and liver? Here's what I found about any pre-existing health conditions:

"The couple had internal bleeding, including in their pancreases. Holmes had an enlarged heart and cirrhosis of the liver — both signs of significant pre-existing disease. Day also had fluid in her brain. The couple also had fluid in their lungs, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez Sanchez’s office said in a statement."

Early autopsy results are so far inconclusive for 3 Americans who died at a Dominican Republic resort

Even if Day and Holmes both had severe pre-existing heart disease, the chances that they'd both die at the same time of the same causes -- including something as specific as a bleeding pancreas and pulmonary edema -- would be extremely rare.

Also, I hadn't noticed this before, but in the DailyMail article cited above, it states that Holmes actually called for a hotel doctor on Thursday morning, the same day they were later found dead:

"Day and Holmes were due to leave the island last Thursday - the same day their bodies were found in a room.

"Holmes had called for a hotel doctor on Thursday morning, complaining that he felt ill, but authorities say he refused medical help when the physician appeared."

Woman claims she vomited BLOOD after taking ill at same resort where three US tourists died | Daily Mail Online

I am wondering if that info is reliable. Very odd that he called for a doctor and then refused care. Why? Did the doctor actually see both Holmes and Day alive at that time? If the doctor had come on Thursday morning, and they were both feeling well enough to send the doctor away, and then they were found dead later that day, that's a small window of time for them to both get sick and die. Also, they must have died around the same time, but one of them had to have died first. Why didn't the other call for help? Too sick by then? That would indicate they must have died/fallen violently ill within a TINY time frame, likely minutes.

I am now starting to wonder if Holmes/Day was possibly a murder-suicide. Either that, or they died around the same time because they were exposed to a fatal toxin at the same time. One thing I feel confident about is that these were not natural deaths. Too many coincidences.
Here is the article I think was referred To. Not sure how accurate it is since it appears to have a difwrent report than all other networks.

Dominican Republic resort where 3 Americans died slams attacks on their staff

is there a thread where we can post all of the cases not specific to this one hotel, since we can't discuss other hotel cases in this thread? i've just found another report (released 4 hours ago) about the death of a man last month, after he drank a small bottle of scotch from a minibar, but it's a different hotel resort in DR. when i search, i only find this thread and the other specific threads attached to all the recent deaths.

This situation is not a surprise to me. It is very well known that any injuries, death or mishaps to tourists does not get reported or covered in foreign countries because of the impact to tourism. I think that the FBI should come into the Dominican Republican and try to gather the facts. Of course, unfortunately the facts will most likely be unavailable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member