GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by scriabina, Jun 4, 2019.

1. human

human Well-Known Member

I don’t think the other nations are as poor. And Mexico has been busted.

Do the rest of them have that kind of bottle set up? I have never been to those islands but they seem like they are more expensive than DR. But I do not know.

debbiegarcia36, LadyL and dotr like this.
  2. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

The Mexican incidents with methanol-tainted drinks and the DR incidents of deaths, illness have only come to the attention of US authorities because of intense pressure by relatives for answers.

The DR appears to have had some sort of Medical Examiners "investigation" going on but there are severe questions about the results and the lack of appropriate testing.

It seems the foreign countries have little incentive to really investigate what could be natural deaths in older visitors, but only put resources into obvious murders or incidents involving young people.

Buyer beware

Indy Anna, LadyL, neesaki and 5 others like this.
  3. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

I have never been to the D.R. but have been to AI resorts in other Caribbean locations. They have several different set ups for the "mini-bar" in the rooms, but I suspect most do refill bottles with cheaper booze. I think most use cheaper booze but still legit brands. But the D.R. seems to be a very inexpensive destination and I suspect that they have little or no standards on many things. So it may be that they are refilling with booze that is locally produced with very poor quality control and that results in high methanol content. Some batches are good, some bad. That is why the sickness is random and not happening to everyone. The D.R. government's refusal to acknowledge that something is going on is backfiring on them and they don't even realize it. At least Hard Rock resorts is admitting something is wrong and is attempting some remedy even if its minor.

4. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

more?

https://nypost.com/2019/06/26/engag...-after-poolside-drinks-in-dominican-republic/

An engaged North Carolina woman says she got “deathly sick” on a Dominican Republic vacation after drinking from her resort’s poolside bar.

She returned home to Gaffney, NC, and went to the hospital, where she spent 10 hours in the emergency room. McAbee never received a diagnosis for the terrifying illnesses.

and another new story....

A Denver dad was so sick that he was booted off his return flight from the Dominican Republic, and has spent the past three days there in critical condition — vomiting, alone and screaming in pain in a hospital bed,

https://nypost.com/2019/06/26/denver-dad-in-critical-condition-on-dominican-republic-vacation/

Indy Anna, LadyL, byo and 11 others like this.
  5. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

6. Inthedetails

It's happened before, including in other places like Mexico. as WSers have posted on this thread. The links should be easy to find.

jmo

Trident, dotr and Cryptic like this.
  7. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

How horrible, that poor man. :(

8. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

9. Inthedetails

10. neesaki

11. Cryptic

Cryptic Well-Known Member

As tourism is the equivalent of a national security level interest, they need to get control of the situation fast. I would literally send the police into the resorts to seize all bottles of alcohol.

The rash of deaths cover a period of time at the resorts could imply that a large quantity of potentially lethal street alcohol is being continuously produced. I imagine that the source still(s) would be pretty large, but still easy to conceal in a large city (say warehouse / industrial district) or in rural areas. In either case, the source needs to be identified and shut down.

Maybe start with bar managers and learn who the midnight bottlers are? Then work backwards to the source location?

Indy Anna, LadyL, human and 4 others like this.
  12. Inthedetails

Yes, that's what a legit investigation would look like. Find the source and all the connections.

What would a corrupt investigation look like?

jmo

LadyL, Sherlockhemlock, human and 4 others like this.
  13. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

Indy Anna, human, Trident and 4 others like this.
  14. neesaki

Canadian woman who says she fell critically ill on Dominican Republic vacation says doctor flagged possible poisoning | Fox News

Hammell's condition deteriorated so much, CNN reported, that she was rushed to a hospital in the Dominican Republican and kept there for four days. CNN reported that Hammell's medical records from the hospital documented lesions on her lungs.

After the couple returned home to Ontario, CNN reported, doctors told her that she may have been poisoned by something in the Dominican Republic.

Indy Anna, kay74, turanna25 and 4 others like this.
  15. JerseyGirl

16. JerseyGirl

As with Delta, more airlines offering changes to the DR:

Spirit Airlines said the company is working with customers looking to adjust travel plans to the Dominican Republic by providing a “credit shell,” or voucher, which can be used for future travel. The airline also isn’t charging change fees.

American Airlines , United Airlines, and Sun Country Airlines will review customer requests to change or cancel Dominican Republic itineraries on a case-by-case basis. A spokesperson for Sun Country said that if the airline decides to allow consumers to switch their flight to another destination it will waive change fees, but differences in fares would still apply.

Southwest Airlines noted that while the company does not have a specific policy regarding travel to the Dominican Republic, it will work with consumers to address their concerns.

Airlines offer fee waivers for Dominican Republic flights in wake of tourist deaths

JetBlue has temporarily changed their policy for passengers who planned to travel to the island.

Tourist traveling to Dominican Republic brings own alcohol to ‘make sure that I’m safe’

LadyL, byo, kai and 6 others like this.
  17. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Well-Known Member

Haven’t been getting alerts, almost forgot about this thread till I see another report on Apple news about the Colorado man. This is crazy!!!

dotr and neesaki like this.
  18. Sherlockhemlock

Sherlockhemlock Well-Known Member

Good idea however that would assume that the authorities are not in on it. I believe the corruption and money is vast - the coroner, the crematorium, the local authorities, and quite possibly up to national authorities.

You are right that tourism is important which means a lot of money in a poor country. It also means a lot of back room deals and corruption. JMO

19. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

20. LaborDayRN

LaborDayRN Well-Known Member