Dominican Republic - American tourists found dead in resorts, same cause of death, 2018/2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by scriabina, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Angleterre

Angleterre Well-Known Member

I think as tourists that no matter where in the World that we visit whereby the standards of living are generally of a lesser quality, we have to be extremely careful. It’s certainly pause for thought as to how these deaths are occurring and any patterns that may become evident... OT but I visited an area of Thailand with my husband in 1998 which was on the outskirts but still a touristy destination and we went to a bar at 7pn and ordered a bottled beer each so that we could have some control over the safety of our drinks. I hadn’t even had half of the bottle when I became semi unconscious and fell off my bar stool. I flaked out and Was woke up at 330pm the following day, some 20.5 hours later!!! I was then told that my husband had to get some other English speaking tourists to assist in carrying me back to our hotel because although only 5 ft 5 inches tall and 119lbs, I was apparently a total ‘dead unmovable weight ‘ and the local Thai Police arrived, 4 of them, and proceeded to have a ‘tug of war’ with my husband and assisting public, with my unconscious body! They were trying to take me and my husband,fearing what may happen to me whilst unconscious and in their presence , fought desperately hard to stop them and thankfully was successful. I do not and did not at the time, recall anything of this and my only memory was of being at the bar for approximately 30 minutes and then waking up over 20 hours later with no memory whatsoever of the previous evening events. A truly terrifying scenario.

2. keeponsearching

keeponsearching Wine Drinker

Will be interesting to see if more people come forward. I feel like cases like these were brushed under the rug, so tourist keep coming. I won't be going to the DR. My mom went probably 5 years ago and didn't like the gated resort with men carrying guns around.. That feels extremely scary. I've been to Mexico and never felt unsafe but with the past few years, the amount of tourist deaths, I won't be back again. Which is really sad, to lose tourist, the majority of the people there work very hard and make very little money. I remember one of the host at our resort, work 6 days a week, would travel an hour away to get to work everyday, 9-9. Sorry to go so far off topic, if you read this. I do hope DR and Mexico can make it feel safe again. And I've been to lot of countries around the world, and never met one who hate me because I was from the US.

3. KittyMeowMeow

KittyMeowMeow New Member

Cyanide can be airborne and used to fumigate buildings. It could kill you in a matter of minutes, causing the same symptoms each of the victims had.

oh_gal, StarrChance, Elainera and 8 others like this.
  4. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

I agree on the pesticides issue, and would be interested to know about the health problems or deaths of any workers at the resort. I bet that absolutely nothing would be reported on that, if it occurred.

Most Americans are very fastidious about bugs, cockroaches, which are a norm in tropical climates, especially huge ones. The resort probably uses barrels of pesticides to kill off bugs, so the vacationers don't get freaked.

So glad I don't live in Florida any longer!

5. mickey2942

mickey2942 Well-Known Member

We have a lovely summer trip planned for Canada via rail. So, we travel out of the country as well, but not South of the border.

6. KittyMeowMeow

KittyMeowMeow New Member

GarAndTeed, alexwood, borndem and 2 others like this.
  7. ?mysterian?

?mysterian? Well-Known Member

This link is about organophosphate poisoning

Organophosphate Poisoning

Snipped from article:
    "The primary signs of organophosphate poisoning include: ‘salivation, bronchorrhea, bronchospasm, sweating, colicky abdominal pain, diarrhoea, miosis, fasciculation progressing to muscle paralysis, and bradycardia leading to asystole."

Also from the article:
    "The patient can have wheezing, chest tightness, and productive cough. The bronchorrhea can be significant with frothy and/or bloody sputum and severe pulmonary oedema. Toxic myocardiopathy has been noted in some severe OP poisonings."

8. ?mysterian?

?mysterian? Well-Known Member

This link is about organophosphate poisoning

Organophosphate Poisoning

Snipped from article:
    "The primary signs of organophosphate poisoning include: ‘salivation, bronchorrhea, bronchospasm, sweating, colicky abdominal pain, diarrhoea, miosis, fasciculation progressing to muscle paralysis, and bradycardia leading to asystole."

Also from the article:
    "The patient can have wheezing, chest tightness, and productive cough. The bronchorrhea can be significant with frothy and/or bloody sputum and severe pulmonary oedema. Toxic myocardiopathy has been noted in some severe OP poisonings."

Trident, borndem, Razz and 3 others like this.
  9. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

Dominican authorities say tourist died of heart attack | WTOP

So i’m Confused. They r only doing toxicology report on the MD couple? The PA woman is the one everyone is questioning what she ingested in the moments leading to her death. Why wouldn’t they be running toxicology reports on all 3 victims and why is there suddenly so many changes to the story? Sounds to me like they r trying to dismiss this as PA woman died from natural causes and MD couple died from accidental OD, double suicide, or murder suicide. JMO

10. TedERoosevelt

TedERoosevelt Active Member

I'm almost positive there were other Americans there only from its popularity (of course this is speculation, I don't have proof of other Americans at the resort). My fiance and I are getting married on August 17, 2019 and taking our honeymoon directly after. We are on a tight budget so did our honeymoon shopping on "cheapcaribbean.com" (after it was suggested by several people who took several vacations using that website. Please don't have any ill will toward the site, I only mention it because it is popular for booking Caribbean all inclusives). Bahia Principe (hotel in question) was our original FIRST choice for our honeymoon because they had an incredibly good deal going on and were very well advertised on that particular website. We ultimately changed our minds (prior to this) because we wanted something a little nicer for our honeymoon. Several members of various bridal facebook groups I'm a part of have just changed their plans from that resort, or the DR in general.

I say all this to only mention that this isn't a little mom and pop resort, but a very popular, highly advertised (and given fairly decent reviews, prior to this of course) resort.

I've seen a few different opinions but ultimately do you guys think it is someone deliberately poisoning American tourists or an issue with the hotel? Either now known and trying to hide, or accidental. I feel like my opinion (and perhaps others) might be biased because this information is coming out in the midst of a woman being beaten to near death in the same area. I've personally been following mostly through the eyes of brides and people freaking out about their honeymoons being ruined and thus throwing things out there like "there's a serial killer on the loose!"

Finally, I see a lot of information about pesticides- please help me understand- are airborne pesticides dangerous to some when sprayed? I know there's also discussion she may have drank them.

(All thoughts expressed in this post are MOO)

11. lucylulu

lucylulu Well-Known Member

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/40601827/early-autopsy-results-are-so-far-inconclusive-for-3-americans-who-died-at-a-dominican-republic-resort
    Authorities released details Thursday of the preliminary autopsy reports for the Pennsylvania woman as well as Maryland couple Nathaniel Holmes and Cynthia Day. While it remains unclear what may have caused their deaths, officials offered a glimpse into the conditions of their bodies.

The couple had internal bleeding, including in their pancreases. Holmes had an enlarged heart and cirrhosis of the liver -- both signs of significant pre-existing disease. Day also had fluid in her brain. The couple also had fluid in their lungs, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodriguez Sanchez's office said in a statement.

margarita25, kimpage, haven71 and 9 others like this.
  12. JDG

JDG Websleuther

There are many stories about hotel staff cleaning coffee pots/glasses with industrial cleaners or furniture polish instead of soapy water; washing them with 'toilet water', literally.

If that drink was poured into a glass, it could have been cleaned with anything on their trolley.

We only drink from sealed beverages and from the beverage container. I would never use liquor from an open bottle, just too risky.

I tend to go with poisoning in this case but not necessarily intended to make them ill/kill them.

I also wonder how much 'covering up' will happen, many of these places in paradise are totally reliant on the tourist trade.

13. Hell0000nurse

Hell0000nurse Well-Known Member

My opinion is that it has something to do with the hotel (whether it be pesticides or trying to skimp on the quality of alcohol, etc). I don’t think it’s someone intentionally killing people.

14. NervousNellie

NervousNellie Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I agree with @Hell0000nurse (that the problem stems from the hotel, and not from an individual targeting people). As another poster noted, I have to wonder if they aren't using the pesticides in the rooms? I know that the presence of bugs in the rooms is a frequent complaint on TripAdvisor for many DR resorts. So maybe this property is trying to deal with that problem in an inappropriate way (like heavy spraying for pesticides in the room)? I imagine (even hope) anyone who has ever gotten sick in the DR will come forward with their experience.

Edited to add: Best wishes to you, @TedERoosevelt!

15. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

(Posting this here:
    Mexico Travel Advisory - 22 Aug, 2018 )

16. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

I’m behind here but just wanted to say I saw this in HLN yesterday morning and at that time there was discussion of this been investigated as a flu?

Also, O/T, an American couple just died in Fiji from a “Super Flu”?

lucylulu, Trident, borndem and 2 others like this.
  17. Hell0000nurse

We talked a lot about pesticides in regards to these two and the woman who died 5 days prior in the thread Found Deceased - Dominican Republic - Orlando Moore & Portia Ravenelle, from NY on vacation, April 2019

Atleast twice when I stayed in the Dominican I got a notice under the door saying they were spraying for pests and to stay out of the room during a certain period. Plus with the death/effects the family in St. John it could be a likely cause:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2015/09/10/us...ny-on-vacation-april-2019.436050/page-36&rm=1

18. Hell0000nurse

A flu killing that quickly
    With this couple and the woman 5 days before them- A flu killing that quickly and causing hemorrhage, enlarged heart, and pulmonary edema? Unlikely. But if it was some sort of virus that is extremely scary and likely a lot more people would be ill.

19. human

human Well-Known Member

And no one will be the wiser next year. It will all be forgotten.

Look at how many people are missing or have weird experiences on cruise ships. That does not seem to stop people

20. human

human Well-Known Member

https://www.healthandenvironment.org/docs/ToxipediaPesticideUseinDevelopingNationsArchive.pdf

ngerous and outdated pesticides, most of which have been banned in the US and EU, still pose an immense threat to the health and environment of many developing nations. Many of these pesticides are highly toxic, environmentally persistent chemicals. Developing nations purchase outdated pesticides because they are cheaper. Aid organizations or industrialized nations may offer excess pesticides as donations to developing nations, which lack the means and the funds to dispose of old pesticides. Poor legislative abilities and lack of research also contribute to the problem. Illiteracy and lack of information puts workers at risk, who often fail to protect themselves. These pesticides are also stored in substandard conditions, where they leak, contaminating soil and water. (sources: FAO, PAN-UK, Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, Africa Recovery)
    "Most developing countries are left with large stocks of obsolete pesticides. Generally, these are excess pesticides that can no longer be used because they have deteriorated as a result of prolonged storage, or because their use has been banned while they were still kept in store. They are now regarded as hazardous waste. Due to lack of environmentally sound disposal facilities in developing countries, the total volume of such stocks is gradually increasing. Most of the stocks are kept in sub-standard stores and are in a deplorable state. Drums are stored in the open, exposed to direct sunlight and rain. As time goes by, containers deteriorate and start leaking. This process is

often accelerated by unfavourable climatic conditions. These obsolete stocks invariably pose a severe threat to human health and the environment, particularly if they are located in urban areas or near water bodies, which unfortunately is often the case. Ground water, irrigation water and drinking water are at risk. Direct exposure of human beings, livestock or food is another danger. Disasters caused by obsolete pesticides can be expected if adequate action is not taken to address the present situation."
    (source: Pesticide Action Network UK)

margarita25, Elainera, JDG and 2 others like this.