Found Deceased Dominican Republic - Orlando Moore & Portia Ravenelle, from NY on vacation, April 2019

We have done 5 trips to Punta Cana. Like most Caribbean Islands they are 3rd world. You never leave the Resort on your own. Always book a tour. Your guides will be armed. Our package always included transportation to the Resort. It's a beautiful Island. Bavaro Beach is so picturesque. People are lovely as well. If u are out and about on your own it is dangerous. I don't see a good outcome here. Sadly.
I totally agree with everything you've said!

I have been to the Dominican Republic 6 times (the first time was 31 years ago as a 13 year-old with my family and the most recent time was just over 20 years ago with a group of female friends. )
I have never once gone off the resort(s) without an approved tour guide. Even walking the beach, you get accosted by locals trying to sell you stuff or barter with you for your shoes or t-shirt. This made me slightly nervous. We always had a buddy system at night, even at the resorts because some of the locals were very flirty with us (a group of 5 women) and we weren't entirely comfortable with the how overtly flirtatious some of the men working at the resort were.
I can't imagine feeling confident to rent a car and drive it 100 miles (NOT km's for us Canadians) in the middle of the night. I would be scared ****less!
I really am beginning to think that they were overheard speaking about their late-night departure and that the wrong person overheard them. Someone above posted this suggestion and I strongly agree that this is an unfortunate possibility.
I have been many times as well. In one case a couple wanted to leave the resort at night and the armed security guard refused to take them at night. His exact words were that "the only way he would go from the resort to the airport at night was by helicopter". Driving at night is dangerous. I think your theory that someone overheard them and they have met with some harm as a result is solid.

I have been many times as well. In one case a couple wanted to leave the resort at night and the armed security guard refused to take them at night. His exact words were that "the only way he would go from the resort to the airport at night was by helicopter". Driving at night is dangerous. I think your theory that someone overheard them and they have met with some harm as a result is solid.

I have been to the D.R. about 7 times, I've taken MotoTaxi's at night to different resorts or to different bars, never felt unsafe. I'm beginning to rethink my entire life, I even took public transportation (city bus) from Punta Cana to Higuey, did not have one issue. Is Punta Cana significantly safer than where they were, or am I extremely lucky?

Edited to add: I did get robbed once in the D.R., but it was from the safe at the resort, also thought that resort was super sketchy and NEVER went back.

I have been to the D.R. about 7 times, I've taken MotoTaxi's at night to different resorts or to different bars, never felt unsafe. I'm beginning to rethink my entire life, I even took public transportation (city bus) from Punta Cana to Higuey, did not have one issue. Is Punta Cana significantly safer than where they were, or am I extremely lucky?

Edited to add: I did get robbed once in the D.R., but it was from the safe at the resort, also thought that resort was super sketchy and NEVER went back.
Like Mexico you are safer closer to one of the major tourist areas. These are well protected by the police. If you are in one of the outlying resorts that are farther from those areas the drive goes through very isolated, very dark areas and are less well policed. The opportunity for something to happen goes up exponentially. You will see heavily armed guards at the resort entrance, inside the resorts, and on the beaches.

People let their guard down on vaycay. Alcohol often involved, beautiful surrounding etc. etc. Would folks walk around a high crime area in their own Country? Even drive thru it late at night? Dominican's are lovely people but many are so very poor. Tourism is depended upon and tourist become targets. Go and visit the Islands. Just be smart as you would at home.

I definitely am not getting the feeling that the other couple is involved but perhaps that could be the case. Occam's razor says they were on their way to the airport and met with foul play. It just makes me sad knowing Portia was so concerned with the safety and what she feared is exactly what happened. I hope I am wrong and they are safe, but where could they be?

I have been to the Dominican Republic 6 times (the first time was 31 years ago as a 13 year-old with my family and the most recent time was just over 20 years ago with a group of female friends. )
I have never once gone off the resort(s) without an approved tour guide. Even walking the beach, you get accosted by locals trying to sell you stuff or barter with you for your shoes or t-shirt. This made me slightly nervous. We always had a buddy system at night, even at the resorts because some of the locals were very flirty with us (a group of 5 women) and we weren't entirely comfortable with the how overtly flirtatious some of the men working at the resort were.
I can't imagine feeling confident to rent a car and drive it 100 miles (NOT km's for us Canadians) in the middle of the night. I would be scared ****less!
I really am beginning to think that they were overheard speaking about their late-night departure and that the wrong person overheard them. Someone above posted this suggestion and I strongly agree that this is an unfortunate possibility.
Have we been able to confirm their flight? Is the story of Portia's concern about the late-night drive true?

My first and strongest reaction is that everything happened the way it's been told - and something happened on the way to the airport that night.

But I have two other reactions (I'm a WSer)
* their new friends are not truthful
* the missing couple took off voluntarily, after placing the story that would lead people to think they were attacked by criminals late-night on the road.

Again, my first reaction is this case is a straight-forward missing case story and they were victims of local crime....but would like to rule out other possibilities.

jmo

Snippets.. rbbm
Portia Ravenelle & Orlando Moore: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com
"Loved ones say Ravenelle, 32, and Moore, 43, were communicating via SnapChat and posting photos of their holiday on social media before their disappearance. "

"The family of Portia Ravenelle has since flown to the Dominican Republic to assist with the search while the Moore’s say they are waiting to hear more from authorities."

"The Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC), which advises diplomatic personnel stationed overseas, says that “crime continues to be the number one safety concern,” for both Dominicans and diplomatic staff.

The OSAC’s site says that drive-by robberies are common. “Crime is generally not violent if the victim cooperates; however, an assailant will not hesitate to use violence if the victim resists,”

"In addition to a high crime rate, the Dominican Republic has also been listed as a dangerous destination for driving. According to the 2015 Global Status report on Road Safety issued by the World Health Organization (WHO), the Dominican Republic has the 12th-most dangerous roads in the world."

I just wanted to clarify my post of being hesitant to book clients here. By HeRE I meant the resort itself. I’ve booked many people and myself included have been to the D.R. But we did as other have mentioned with safety.
Beautiful country and people. But I saw a lot of poverty in the DR. Makes me sad to go actually. Was more in the cities and such but heartbreaking seeing little kids beg for money. :(

It would be great if we could sleuth one of these cases and not spend every post talking about how terrifying and dangerous the world is. JMO.

RSBM: Preach! Loved your whole post, @azure. Bet you have had some wonderful experiences!

Back to Orlando and Portia - I am thinking that if some crime has befallen them, they will be found soon. Hoping there is news for those who know and love these folks.

I'd like to confirm flights from DR to NY/NJ. IIRC, they flew out of Newark so I'm assuming that's where they would arrive again, had they made their flight. We should be able to confirm there are flights at 2am between DR and Newark.

Anyone good at that?

I'd like to confirm flights from DR to NY/NJ. IIRC, they flew out of Newark so I'm assuming that's where they would arrive again, had they made their flight. We should be able to confirm there are flights at 2am between DR and Newark.

Anyone good at that?
If we knew what airline.........

Anyone good at that?
There aren't any flights from DR to EWR (Newark) after 5 pm. Maybe they were going to be in place for a very early show time.Flights

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back