Donald "DJ" Edward Fickey, Jr

Nocturnal 911

Reaction score
This case is getting a ton of recent attention on Twitter. I recommended Websleuths to a family member and I promised that I would start a thread for her once their professionally produced podcast was released. His sister, Amanda Shirley, has been relentless in her pursuit to get the manner of death changed from suicide to homicide -so that the local prosecutor will convene a grand jury for a murder indictment. After listening to the podcast, I tend to agree that this is not just another case of a family that refuses to believe in suicide. Useful links below!!
I'm sorry if there was a better place for me to post this!?

PLEASE READ and support this family!!

new podcast: Status: Pending Podcast

Amanda's Twitter:
Justice For Dj R.I.P (@JusticeForDj88) | Twitter

Amanda's webpage with 911 calls, evidence, media coverage etc.
Justice For DJ

more:
The Transparency Project: Suicide or Murder? The Case of Don "DJ" Fickey

more:
What Really Happened To DJ Fickey? - Popucrime.com

A couple of questions.

1) Where was DJ residing at the time of his death?
2) Who owned the shotgun that killed him?

A couple of questions.

1) Where was DJ residing at the time of his death?
2) Who owned the shotgun that killed him?
He was staying at the trailer with the man who owned the property at the time he was killed. The shooter lived in a camper on the property. And the gun belonged to the shooter. We have 7 people that stated that durning interviews

All of djs coverage so far as well as a recap of what happened.

Dj Fickey was a victim of a love triangle between his wife and another man. Brandy, djs wife would go back and forth between Dj and this other man. While texting family and friends begging for a ride out of the situation and place he was staying Dj stated his life depended on getting a ride out of there, that he was going to die there and his life depended on it. That him and his wife needed to leave to save both of their lives. 2 - 3 minutes later a call came into 911 stating there was a guy there that had shot hisself by the person of interest “ex boyfriend”. He had been fatally shot in the left side of his face with a shotgun at a downward angle. Dj was right handed. From the time 911 was called and after, the entire investigation only went downhill from there. The 911 dispatcher told person of interest to move the gun and secure it. It was a single shot shotgun that belonged to the person of interest so no need to unload and secure it. Dj was shot in the left cheek at the corner of the lip area front to back, left to right at a downward angle. Dj was right handed and was sitting on a love seat texting his mom when he was shot. Jealously, murder, a bungled investigation, failed polygraph test, and re-enactment of the shooting, person of interest changing his story of what happen many times, not treating the scene as anything other then a suicide, not doing a gun residue test on Djs hands nor any other forensic or ballistics testing, there was many witnesses and yet no charges and a murderer is free with not even a slap on the hand. All we have asked is for the DA to present this to a grand jury. They refuse. The gun has never been tested for finger prints and still sits in the evidence room. The person of interest took off before the investigation was even over with. All we want is justice so another family doesn’t have to suffer from the hands of this monster. Dj leaves behind 3 babies who at the time of his murder were a two year old little boy and a set of twin girls age one.

Motive: jealously, suspect was having an affair with victims wife. Wanted victim out of the picture.

Evidence:

1. Two eye witnesses that state suspect came out of bedroom behind Djs left side, pointed gun at Dj and suspects finger was on the trigger

1. Victim was right handed but was shot in left side of check at downward angel with shotgun.
  2. victim was pleading for help and a ride out of the home and away from suspect just minutes before he was shot and suspect called 911
  3. suspect failed re-enactment of shooting as well as polygraph test.
  4. Suspect changed his account of what happened 5 to 6 times
  5. Shotgun belonged to suspect and was seen with shotgun day prior to shooting inside the camper where suspect stayed.
  6. Victim was not depressed, did not voice any suicidal thoughts or feelings
  7. No suicide note
  8. Victim was never tested for gun shot residue
  9. Victims arms were never measured to see if it was even possible for victim to shoot hisself in that direction.
  10. Victim was making future plans.

Conclusion: DA states suicide because suspect stated he saw victim shoot hisself.

Investigation discovery

D.J. Fickey | Still A Mystery - ID GO Original Series

Kendall Rae YouTube Case

Crime online with Nancy grace

‘He would never kill himself’: Sister fights to give dead brother justice as sheriff changes cause of death from suicide to possible homicide

WSB Atlanta

Man's death ruled suicide, but family says evidence points to homicide

WRCB NEWS

Suicide investigation questioned by Walker Co. family

Follow up

Private investigator: 'There's enough proof for arrest in case r - WRCBtv.com | Chattanooga News, Weather & Sports

POPUCRIME

What Really Happened To DJ Fickey? - Popucrime.com

WDEF CHATTANOOGA

Family wants answers in Walker County death - WDEF

Follow up

Woman continues to fight for answers in brother's death - WDEF

Podcasts

Color me dead Podcast with timeline of detailed events prior to shooting “oct 2016” up until now more information released in this to date.

Color Me Dead Podcast

Invisible choir

Justice for DJ // 018 — Invisible Choir™ - Investigative True Crime Storytelling

Criminal perspective

Criminal Perspective

Impact statement podcast

https://player.fm/series/impact-statement-2358394/the-death-of-dj-fickey

Mary Buck Podcast

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=a...4LTk5OTEtNGRkMS04NjEwLTYzZjM0NDdlNWMwMC5tcDM=

Status: Pending Podcast Djs case inspired the start of this podcast

| Chapter 1: Episode 1 (Donald Edward Fickey, Jr.)

Status: Pending Podcast | Chapter 1: Episode 2 (Donald Edward Fickey, Jr.)

Status: Pending Podcast | Chapter 1: Episode 3 (Donald Edward Fickey, Jr.)

Murderish podcast

https://player.fm/series/murderish-2435311/dj-fickey-seeking-justice-murderish-ep-20

Murderish podcast episode 2

DJ Fickey, FOLLOW-UP | MURDERISH Ep. 21

Crimelines true crime

DJ Fickey - Crimelines True Crime | Himalaya

10-23 with private investigator Heather France

A dark tale podcast

The Case of DJ Fickey

The Case of DJ Fickey

Radio shows

Steven David Lampley

Gunshot Residue / CASE REVIEW: D. J. Fickey, Jr - Crime & Forensics (podcast)

The Transparency project

The Transparency Project: Suicide or Murder? The Case of Don "DJ" Fickey

Ignorance Was Bliss podcast

https://player.fm/series/ignorance-...cycles-with-amanda-from-justice-for-dj-fickey

Sipping on some crime reports

https://sippingonsomecrime.com/2019/08/24/murder-or-suicide-the-dj-fickey-case/

The Washington post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-and-americas-thirst-for-true-crime-stories/

YouTuber Joshua miles and Griffin Arnlund

Part 1

Part 2

https://youtu.be/uXM2E9sOWyQ

Crime stories with Nancy grace

https://player.fm/series/crime-stor...f-dj-fickey-says-evidence-proves-its-homicide

The great unsolved podcast

https://www.spreaker.com/user/thegreatunsolved/dj-fickey-case

Gray Hughes investigates

The Dj fickey case part 1

https://youtu.be/DXSsUptezPE

Gray Hughes investigates part 2

https://youtu.be/LFNFr1QvPlw

Gray Hughes investigates JusticeForDj

https://youtu.be/uAtkVmbBvgs

The autopsy report is among the other documents here.

The ME describes cause of death as "intra oral" gunshot wound, but I cannot find any information on how the barrel of the gun got into his mouth. I have watched hours of video, nothing. I've also looked for crime scene pictures to no avail. Anyone?

Such a terribly tragic case for everyone involved, especially the sister and his children.

The autopsy report is among the other documents here.

The ME describes cause of death as "intra oral" gunshot wound, but I cannot find any information on how the barrel of the gun got into his mouth. I have watched hours of video, nothing. I've also looked for crime scene pictures to no avail. Anyone?

Such a terribly tragic case for everyone involved, especially the sister and his children.

"Walker County Coroner Dewayne Wilson arrived on scene shortly after I did. The coroner accompanied me inside the residence where the victim was. The victim, shirtless with shorts and slip on shoes, was sitting in the upright position on a love seat that was just inside the front door of the residence. I observed a large wound to the victim's face and mouth that would be consistent with a gunshot wound. The victim had a large amount of blood on his face, chest and stomach that appeared to have come from the wound on the victim's face. On a preliminary observation of the victim, it appeared that the gunshot wound was left to right. It appeared that the barrel of the gun was placed on the victims left cheek just below the corner of the victim's lips and fired. I did not observe any exit."
[BBM]

[See p. 4/29 of the Investigation Report at this link: Dj's Investigation2.docx]

UPDATE: Medical examiner with GBI changes manner of death in Walker County case

UPDATE: There are big developments out of Walker County, where a state medical examiner has ruled Donald Fickey, Jr. did not take his own life, four years after his death was written off as a suicide.

Snip

His death was ruled a suicide but Shirley has always believed otherwise. And now, four years later, a medical examiner with the GBI agrees.

Snip

"It now opens up the door for Walker County and the district attorney to reopen up the case," he added.

Snip

Sheriff Wilson said, "The case will not be reopened simply because the medical examiner changed the manner of death from suicide to undetermined. Should new evidence be discovered the sheriff's office will evaluate the evidence and proceed accordingly."

UPDATE: Medical examiner with GBI changes manner of death in Walker County case

UPDATE: There are big developments out of Walker County, where a state medical examiner has ruled Donald Fickey, Jr. did not take his own life, four years after his death was written off as a suicide.

Snip

His death was ruled a suicide but Shirley has always believed otherwise. And now, four years later, a medical examiner with the GBI agrees.

Snip

"It now opens up the door for Walker County and the district attorney to reopen up the case," he added.

Snip

Sheriff Wilson said, "The case will not be reopened simply because the medical examiner changed the manner of death from suicide to undetermined. Should new evidence be discovered the sheriff's office will evaluate the evidence and proceed accordingly."
Thank you for posting the update. I still really don’t know how to use this all that well so I never get on here. I hate learning new things lol.

Thank you for posting the update. I still really don’t know how to use this all that well so I never get on here. I hate learning new things lol.

YVW! You're fine. I totally understand how learning the ins & outs at WS takes time. I've been here 1.5 yrs and I'm still learning. Heck, I bet 80% of my posts are edited/moved by mods or me. :p;) If ever there is an article or anything you'd like to share with the group, feel free to simply post a message with the link then ask someone to paste the text. Most members would be more than happy to do that.

I'd not seen DJ's case before today. I plan to familiarize myself with the details. While doing so I'll transfer whatever content can be shared according to WS TOS and rules. :) I'd like to suggest to you that if you haven't done so yet, consider becoming a verified insider (VI). The link below will give you all of the info about what a VI is and what's involved in the verification process. We'd love to have you be able to share whatever first-hand info you'd like without the need for links to MSM/LE releases. If you have any questions you can always click the "report" button on any post to alert a moderator who'd be happy to help.

***CBBM (color & bold added by me)
VERIFIED PROFESSIONALS and CASE INSIDERS

We are lucky enough to have posters from all walks of life with a broad spectrum of expertise. Some hold specialized knowledge that applies to the various circumstances of the cases we discuss, and can contribute valuable insight and information. We welcome their participation.

To ensure that anyone posting as a "professional" in a specific field truly is what/who they claim to be, WS employs a verification process.

The verification process also applies to "case insiders". Relatives, friends, and others personally acquainted with a victim or a suspect; or a professional working on behalf of a victim or the family, (I.e., a private investigator), can submit a request to be verified as a "case insider".

If you would like to become verified, please contact WS Administration at wsverify@gmail.com with your Websleuths name, your real name, the case, a telephone number, and the times when you can be reached.

If you are a "professional" or "case insider", but would prefer not to be verified, please understand that you will be required to follow the general rules for posting, and back up your statements with links to appropriate sources.

More information on how to submit a request, and the information required, can be found at this link:

VERIFICATION PROCESS FOR PROFESSIONALS AND INSIDERS

NOTE: Websleuths does not condone members becoming personally involved in cases by initiating contact with family members, case players, law enforcement, or the media. This does not preclude responding to a request for volunteers, or utilizing proper channels to report valid information, i.e., "a tip", to law enforcement.

Family wants answers in Walker County death - WDEF
  • January 31, 2018
WALKER COUNTY, GA. (WDEF) — The family ... wants answers.

Donald Fickey Jr.’s death was ruled a suicide, but family members believe it was a homicide.

Snip

In October of 2016 Fickey was found dead in a Walker County home.

Snip

"...He was literally texting my mother when he was shot.”

In an April 2017 letter to detectives, district attorney Buzz Franklin says, “While certain statements made by witnesses, when viewed in isolation, would tend to indicate a homicide, the physical evidence and other witness statements support a conclusion the death was a suicide.”

Man's death ruled suicide, but family says evidence points to homicide
  • Updated: February 3, 2018 - 4:10 PM
WALKER COUNTY, Ga. — A family is demanding answers after they say their loved one’s death should not have been ruled a suicide.
  • Walker County Sheriff’s Office - suicide by shotgun
  • GBI - ruled the death a suicide
  • Walker County changed - possible homicide - inconsistencies with a person of interest who called 911
  • 911 call - POI tells - there's a guy who shot himself
“I tried to get the gun and it went off,” the person said​
  • polygraph test - POI lied about his role
  • another 911 call - operator instructed POI to secure the weapon
“Can you unload it safely and get it to the side out of the way?” the operator asked​
  • “None of the crime scene photos have the shotgun next to DJ. The crime scene photos have the shotgun on the table,” private investigator Eric Echols
  • GBI - stand by their initial ruling of suicide

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back