Dr. brands uterus during hysterectomy

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by IWannaKnow, Sep 16, 2010.

1. IWannaKnow

IWannaKnow New Member

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/bizarre/doctor-branded-womans-uterus-after-surgery

Doctor Branded Woman's Uterus After SurgeryOB/GYN lasered patient’s name in “friendly gesture”

SEPTEMBER 13--After performing a hysterectomy last year, a California gynecologist used a cauterizing tool to brand his patient’s name on her removed uterus, an unorthodox move that the doctor calls a “friendly gesture,” but which the woman terms “despicable conduct” in a medical negligence lawsuit.

Paulicivic alleges that the branding was done for “no medically necessary purpose or reason” and that she somehow suffered burns on her legs while the uterus was being marked, according to her complaint. In an interview, Paulicivic’s lawyer, Devan Mullins, called the branding “inexcusably bizarre behavior,” adding that the 50-year-old Alinsod was “fooling around and having fun.”

:furious:

2. Loading...

3. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ Active Member

"Having fun" ??? Wonder what he does for excitement?:waitasec:

4. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

geez
    I see a medical license suspension in his future

5. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

From OP link:

I need to think this one through.

6. Mira

Mira Country Girl

while i do think what this dr did was bizarre, the lawsuit shows that these people are nuts LOL

hopefully the judge will see through the greed, and hopefully the dr learned the limits of 'friendly gestures'

7. Kat

That's where my thinking was taking me too Mira :wink: :D

8. Quiche

Quiche New Member

He burned her. He was goofing off. An idiot and a stooge, imo.

9. Kat

I'm going to wait and see what the court says. She says he burned her, and I have no reason to doubt that he could have, but the lawsuit is worded weird and made me have to reserve a definate opinion on the topic.

10. ziggy

ziggy New Member

I'm confused: doesn't a hysterectomy involve removing the uterus? It says he did this branding after the hysterectomy so how did he get near her to burn her? Come on people, can't anyone make their job more enjoyable anymore? (just kidding) But I do think this lawsuit is weak. A burn can be treated and she could get that paid for but the whole loss of consortium etc. is just crap to try and get the malpractice insurance to throw them a huge settlement bone (or rather the attorneys).

11. SunnieRN

SunnieRN Active Member

Having been an OR manager in the past, I can tell you what my actions would have been concerning a surgeon taking this action, but my question is, how did she find out? Also the device referred to is grounded, by placing a pad on the patients thigh. How did he burn her after the uterus was removed?

Truly a bizarre situation!

12. believe09

believe09 Active Member

I read this case on CNN the other day-hands up if you think this guy keeps trophies of some of his surgeries? Let's hope it was done in an operating room with people who were observing and assisting...

13. believe09

believe09 Active Member

He injured her and she asked for pictures of the surgery which she knew he had taken. He hesitated but DH showed him how to copy from his camera. When they got home and reviewed them they were HORRIFIED.

IIRC he burned her vagina during the surgery with the instrument.

The last time I checked he was still practicing which is very very concerning to me.

14. Velouria

Velouria Don't Drink the Pinellas Punch!

Speaking of which - I wonder if the good doctor would like his branded...:innocent:

15. Nova

Nova Active Member

It's a common legal ploy based on old laws that remain on the books. May be true in this case, for all I know, but it's one of those things that plaintiffs' attorneys commonly add on.

(BTW, I am not bashing plaintiffs' attorneys here; it's their job to do everything they can for their clients. I'm just saying I've heard of this sort of claim before (I can cite an actual case if anyone cares) and it doesn't really tell us anything about the plaintiffs themselves.)

16. mysterygirl

mysterygirl A Nancy Drew Wannabe

Well there should be several people in the room who will know what happened.

17. believe09

believe09 Active Member

I still think it is a trophy, but what do I know... :)

18. I Din Doot

I Din Doot New Member

Were they saving it for a transplant? It was trash. I doubt she actually had burns. If sedated, how did she even know he marked it? Profit sharing lawsuit with a disgruntled employee?

19. believe09

believe09 Active Member

I get everyone's point, but the dude took pictures of it. And confessed he wrote her name on it, because they were good friends.

CREEEEPPPPYYY

20. hoppyfrog

hoppyfrog Retired WS Staff

1. Did the patient give the dr. permission to do this branding? No.

2. Was it necessary to save her life? No.

Then he should not have done it and should lose his license.

21. Gozgals

Gozgals New Member

I agree, but still having trouble following it.
    The uterus is removed during a hyster. so when did this guy burn it? WHile it was still in her?

This is just shocking and I would sue also. Why would he need to do this unless of course it is a trophy, but why?

The Brothers who did my endo surgeries (One devolped the larposcope) were later to be found out they were performing experiemental surgeries on their pts. They somehow beat the lawsuit but their repuatation is tarnished. Another medical nightmare.

I think this so called Dr. needs a hobby..

Goz