Dr. Teresa Sievers Trial Discussion - Mark Sievers and Jimmy Rodgers, 3 June 2019

Discussion in 'Dr. Teresa Sievers' started by JerseyGirl, Jan 25, 2019.

1. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Here are the charges per the court website:
    https://matrix.leeclerk.org/

Case Number Description Type Status Charges
    15-CF-000673-B State of Florida vs Sievers, Mark D Adult - Felony Opened - CR
    1 MURDER FIRST DEGREE PREMEDITATED WITH WEAPON (PRINCIPAL)
    3 CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT 1ST DEG PREMEDITATED MURDER (CONSPIRACY)

15-CF-000673-A State of Florida vs Rodgers, Jimmy Ray Adult - Felony Opened - CR
    2 MURDER FIRST DEGREE PREMEDITATED WITH WEAPON (PRINCIPAL)
    3 CONSPIRACY TO COMMIT 1ST DEG PREMEDITATED MURDER (CONSPIRACY)
    4 BURGLARY DWELLING STRUCTURE OR CONVEYANCE ARMED (PRINCIPAL)

IQuestion, Paulas88, Alice253 and 8 others like this.
  2. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

I want to know why he was in a wheelchair.

3. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

New trial date scheduled for Teresa Sievers murder case
    Updated: Friday, June 14th 2019, 3:45 PM EDT
    [...]
    “There’s still many important things that need done before we try this case,” Don McFarlane, one of Rodgers' attorneys said. “We’re waiting on the results from the FBI DNA analysis.”

“We’re not optimistic the upcoming report will be favorable for the state,” Asst. State Attorney Hameed Hunter told the judge.
    [...]
    The judge heard a number of motions on Friday:

• Motion to withdraw Rodger’s statement in September 2015: Attorneys for Jimmy Rodgers argued he invoked his right to remain silent at a previous meeting with investigators; however, they approached him a second time in regards to the murder. When LCSO had a warrant for murder, detectives said he responded “In the state of Missouri, that’s 15-20 years. I’m ok with that”. The state argued the detectives followed legal procedure. The judge reserved ruling.
    • [...]
    • Motion to avoid the use of the term “burner phone”: The defense for Mark Sievers argued the term has a negative connotation and requested it be replaced with a prepaid cell phone which more accurately defines the phone. The state and judge disagreed, the judge saying the term is not inappropriate.
    [...]

4. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Sievers judge considers potentially incriminating statement
    Posted: 1:10 PM, Jun 14, 2019
    FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Potentially incriminating statements in the Teresa Sievers murder case may never make it to trial.

We heard those statements for the first time Friday from one of the men accused of killing the prominent Bonita Springs doctor.
    [...]
    Rodgers' attorney is now arguing to throw out a comment Rodgers made to deputies on September 10th, 2015.

At the time, Rogers was being held in a federal holding facility in Missouri after being arrested for violating his probation.

Deputies went up to interview him on the homicide case. The lieutenant says Rodgers repeatedly interrupted him as he tried to read his Miranda rights. Rodgers kept asking deputies why they were there. The deputies said “for homicide".

And then the lieutenant said Rogers responded back. “What did he say? He said in the state of Missouri that’s 15 to 20 years, and I’m okay with that,” says Lt. David Lebid of the Lee County Sheriff’s Office.

Prosecutors say the statements should be evidence at trial because the deputies tried reading his Miranda rights but Rodgers kept interrupting and stormed out.

“In totality of the circumstances, procedurally it’s accepted. However, I’m going to reserve ruling to think about its relevance and value versus its prejudicial value. I’ll give you a ruling shortly,” said Judge Bruce Kyle.
    [...]

5. Oregonmama

Oregonmama Well-Known Member

Teresa deserves justice!!

The wheelchair episode is such a low blow for the victim and her family.

As I said way in the beginning, put him in a room with us and he wouldn't be in a wheel chair today.

6. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Thank you SeesSeas for the updates on the trial!

and MsArk - no need to apologize. I was just trying to point out that the reporter had it wrong - NOT you! :)

and as we have come to know - reporters don't always get it right.... :rolleyes:

msboo, Chelly, Alice253 and 7 others like this.
  7. Legally Bland

Legally Bland Well-Known Member

An amended jury questionnaire has been filed, I think these are the questions which have been removed:

https://matrix.leeclerk.org

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Chelly, Alice253, Oregonmama and 5 others like this.
  8. Legally Bland

Minutes from last week's hearing, looks like the judge is mainly ruling for the state on the defense motions.

Screenshot_20190617-230812.png Screenshot_20190617-230833.png

Full doc searchable at link.

IQuestion, Chelly, travelbug and 5 others like this.
  9. Legally Bland

I've tried googling this but I can't find anything, in the defense motion for tagging or visible identification of jurors, are they meaning an electronic tag like you'd get on parole, or is it something else? Electronic tags seem a bit extreme.

Link for attached doc:

Attached Files:

10. Oregonmama

Oregonmama Well-Known Member

They want to research online the jurors that are summoned in by the court. Meaning, they will look at them online through their social media and probably do a background check

IQuestion, Chelly, travelbug and 6 others like this.
  11. Legally Bland

Thanks, that makes more sense.

IQuestion, Chelly, travelbug and 4 others like this.
  12. LvsAMystry

LvsAMystry Active Member

Haven’t posted in awhile but watching, waiting, hoping for real justice with you all

travelbug, CalmSeas, MsJosie and 9 others like this.
  13. Chelly

Chelly Remember Teghan Skiba

I am hopeful this will be a n0-nonsense trial and Teresa will ultimately receive justice. The defense will attempt to mislead, delay and pull every legal trick available to them. Its all up to the judge to keep control. I say this after watching the five-month long McStay trial in CA which was an embarrassment to our legal system. Thankfully the jury stayed on tract and voted on an appropriate verdict.

HulaMum, CalmSeas, geevee and 11 others like this.
  14. msboo

msboo Active Member

I’m trying to catch up here. Busy trying to prep to move to Estero, FL to be near our daughter’s family there (Bonita is close by). WS was my first ever crime forum. Our daughter had just moved down there from KY, called me that terrible morning Dr Sievers was found in her home. Dr Sievers was her friends’ doctor, she was amazing. Such a loss. I hope justice for Teresa and her family is swift!

travelbug, CalmSeas, Alice253 and 7 others like this.
  15. MsArk

MsArk Well-Known Member

This horrific murder is also what brought me to WS as I have a home in Naples. Waiting patiently for Teresa to get justice! It is coming...

travelbug, CalmSeas, Alice253 and 6 others like this.
  16. Legally Bland

17. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Monday, July 15th:
    *Sentencing hearing–Cancelled! (@ 1:30pm ET) – FL – Dr. Teresa Sievers (46) (June, 2015, Bonita Springs) – *Curtis Wayne Wright, Jr. (41) arrested (10/14/15) & charged (10/20/15) & indicted (5/5/16) with 2nd degree premeditated murder. Plead not guilty. No bond.
    Took plea deal (2/26/16) plead guilty to 2nd degree murder; 25 years, waives all rights to appeal. Sentencing 7/15/19.
    6/25/19 Update: Order Granting Stipulated Motion for Continuance Filed. Sentencing rescheduled for 12/2/19.
    *Mark D. Sievers (50) – Next Pretrial conference hearing 8/22. Trial scheduled for 10/1/19.
    *Jimmy Ray Rodgers (28) – Next Pretrial conference haring on 8/22. Trial scheduled for 10/1/19.

Chelly and Legally Bland like this.
  18. Chelly

Chelly Remember Teghan Skiba

Fingers crossed trial date doesn't get postponed again.

MsArk, Niner and Legally Bland like this.
  19. MsJosie

MsJosie Well-Known Member

CWW sentencing hearing will be postponed again and again until MS and JR go to trial, verdict and sentencing is accomplished. Authorities want to make sure CWW testifies as he said he would before giving him a reduced or lighter sentence then normal for testifying against the other two. Sigh....Florida is a slow state when it comes to trials.

Thanks Niner for all the updates.

20. Alice253

Alice253 Live Every Moment

CWW will have served his sentence by the time these other two nitwits go to trial at the rate they're going LOL.
    MOO