Dr. Wecht is interviewed regarding the Ramsey case.

It could be a lot of things but it was large enough to be photographed which rules out sperm. Didn't mean to get anyone's hopes up the post was for how the medical community not just plastic manufacturers use birefrigent technology .
I believe it was tested to be a cellose material. Wood , cotton other such items are considered to be cellose material that have birefringent qualities somewhat similar to each other. The sample is too small to determine exactly what it is.Or that is something they haven't told us like what the dye tests on the fibers revealed.

If the birefringent material was from sperm, I'd say that would be a major finding in the autopsy. No semen was mentioned, and I can't believe there would be a reason to keep that silent. Well- actually I can, if the donor of the semen was someone that the DA didn't want named.
Instead, I'l choose to believe that the people conducting the autopsy and the DA, had a TINY bit of ethical sensibilities and would not keep such evidence secret.
I have also seen it suggested that the refractive material could have been tiny chips of paint from the paintbrush handle. That should have been easy to verify. It is very frustrating that the birefringent material was not tested. Even in 1996, there were methods to test that material and see what it was.

DeeDee249,
If it was not tested then its a deliberate decision to limit the evidence since birefringment material has its own signature as it splits or double refracts a ray of light into two parts, and the angles help to pin down the material involved.

I reckon its the paintbrush handle unless there is birefringment material elsewhere on her person or clothing deposited by the person whomever redressed JonBenet.

They are retesting everything so I'm guessing something will turn up?

They are re-testing everything???? Those are great news,where did you hear that?

claudicici,

Some news report on a lea news forum. It specifically mentioned touch-dna analysis. I reckon they are trying to pin someone down to either the crime-scene or the pineapple snack. Hence the request for new interviews.

Was John Ramsey informed that Burke was asked to offer a witness statement? Has John himself been asked to another interview. As usual silence from his end, no press statements etc. he is playing it low key, since its not Mark Karr etc. I'll bet he is hoping it will go away soon.

claudicici,

Some news report on a lea news forum. It specifically mentioned touch-dna analysis. I reckon they are trying to pin someone down to either the crime-scene or the pineapple snack. Hence the request for new interviews.

Was John Ramsey informed that Burke was asked to offer a witness statement? Has John himself been asked to another interview. As usual silence from his end, no press statements etc. he is playing it low key, since its not Mark Karr etc. I'll bet he is hoping it will go away soon.

The silence was broken by a "family attorney" stating that the police were looking into the case just to "annoy" JR. Yep. Let's try to solve this little girl's murder, OK? Nah- we don't want to "annoy" her father. The only way reopening an investigation could "annoy" a dead girl's father is if he didn't want it done. And the only reason I can think of why the father of an unsolved murder victim doesn't want the case reinvestigated is because he knows who the killer was. Unless someone here has a better explanation of how this would "annoy" him.

DeeDee249,
If it was not tested then its a deliberate decision to limit the evidence since birefringment material has its own signature as it splits or double refracts a ray of light into two parts, and the angles help to pin down the material involved.

I reckon its the paintbrush handle unless there is birefringment material elsewhere on her person or clothing deposited by the person whomever redressed JonBenet.

They are retesting everything so I'm guessing something will turn up?

Hey UK Guy.

Ty for all the pertinent info.

talc is a mineral.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...a=X&ei=HLiwTL2pMMH58AbP_rWmCQ&ved=0CBgQ9QEwAA

http://www.minweb.co.uk/sheetsilicates/talc.html

Mineral Chemistry
The structure of talc is composed of Si[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE]O[SIZE=-1]5[/SIZE] sheets with magnesium sandwiched between sheets in octahedral sites, and in tri-octahedral arrangement (see brucite). Talc is a secondary mineral formed from hydrothermal alteration of magnesium silicates. It is often associated with serpentine occurring in veins with magnesite or quartz. Low grade thermal metamorphism of siliceous dolomites also forms talc.

The Chime figure shows the silicon-oxygen sheets, and the magnesiums - green spheres - coordinated by both oxygens and hydroxide ions (OH[SIZE=-1]-[/SIZE]), shown as blue spheres. Note that the hydroxides do not bond to the silicon-oxygen sheets in the structure. The unit cell is outlined.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc[/ame]

Crystal structure of talc

Would it not be disiguishable , refraction signature, distinguishable from organic material?

Hey UK Guy.

talc is a mineral.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...a=X&ei=HLiwTL2pMMH58AbP_rWmCQ&ved=0CBgQ9QEwAA

Mineral Chemistry
The structure of talc is composed of Si[SIZE=-1]2[/SIZE]O[SIZE=-1]5[/SIZE] sheets with magnesium sandwiched between sheets in octahedral sites, and in tri-octahedral arrangement (see brucite). Talc is a secondary mineral formed from hydrothermal alteration of magnesium silicates. It is often associated with serpentine occurring in veins with magnesite or quartz. Low grade thermal metamorphism of siliceous dolomites also forms talc.

The Chime figure shows the silicon-oxygen sheets, and the magnesiums - green spheres - coordinated by both oxygens and hydroxide ions (OH[SIZE=-1]-[/SIZE]), shown as blue spheres. Note that the hydroxides do not bond to the silicon-oxygen sheets in the structure. The unit cell is outlined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc

Would it not be disiguishable , refraction signature, distinguishable from organic material?

Birefringement material could be almost anything foreign. You'd need a SEM to figure it out.

Hey UK Guy.

talc is a mineral.

Mineral Chemistry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talc

Tadpole12,

Yes it would, particular crystalline structures double-refract in a unique angle, so if it was talcum powder, a simple look at the table of crystal refraction indices would identify it immediately.

Tadpole12,

Yes it would, particular crystalline structures double-refract in a unique angle, so if it was talcum powder, a simple look at the table of crystal refraction indices would identify it immediately.

Hey UK Guy.

That's what I thought.

ty.

FYI I had once, the opportunity to visit an open pit talc mine, talc with dolomite deposits.

Talk about shiny!
and soft.
Unusual surface to walk upon.

If the birefringent material was from sperm, I'd say that would be a major finding in the autopsy. No semen was mentioned, and I can't believe there would be a reason to keep that silent.
Even with the pathetic, spineless state of affairs in the DA’s office, one or more of the Ramseys would have been prosecuted if evidence such as that were found.

Holdontoyourhat,

What semester course did you learn that at, or is that out of some tabloid?

Probably its only you who believe 'SEM' was ever printed by a tabloid. Do you actually read the posts you're responding to? And why aren't all your insulting snarky posts deleted anyway?

Probably its only you who believe 'SEM' was ever printed by a tabloid. Do you actually read the posts you're responding to? And why aren't all your insulting snarky posts deleted anyway?

Holdontoyourhat,

because there not as good as your snarky posts.

Birefringement material could be almost anything foreign. You'd need a SEM to figure it out.

It is pointless us arguing about exactly what the material is, because as you say, it could be anything from a crystal to cotton and a million things in between.

So I appreciate the quote cynic about Dr Spitz looking at the photo of the microscopic particle, but surely even he would agree that it would require testing by a laboratory? His conclusion as to how it got there appears to be speculation based on his theory of what it was. So, for example, if it turned out to be some other material, he would then have to speculate as to how that was introduced.

If cotton has the same birefringent properties, then perhaps it came from the underwear she had on (yup them dang size 12s again!)

Here's the thing; I like differing view points but I will not allow posters to be rude to others.

If you want to remain on this forum then refrain from attacking the poster or being rude in any way.

If you do not know what I am talking about then that's a good thing. Means you are not being rude:)

A few of the threads in the JBR forum are getting off track. Please keep it civil.

Thank you,
Tricia

So I appreciate the quote cynic about Dr Spitz looking at the photo of the microscopic particle, but surely even he would agree that it would require testing by a laboratory?
I nearly forgot about this from Lou Smit (from his deposition)
...And there was also material similar to the wooden shards found in the vagina.
Q. The wooden shards from what?
A. From the paintbrush.

...And there was also material similar to the wooden shards found in the vagina.
A. From the paintbrush.

cynic, I'm not sure if you posted this in answer to my question?

So I appreciate the quote cynic about Dr Spitz looking at the photo of the microscopic particle, but surely even he would agree that it would require testing by a laboratory?

Are you suggesting because Lou Smit stated something that it was more accurate than say Steve Thomas?

cynic, I'm not sure if you posted this in answer to my question?

Are you suggesting because Lou Smit stated something that it was more accurate than say Steve Thomas?
I just happened to remember that tidbit. In terms of a lab testing, there was none reported to the best of my knowledge.

A. From the paintbrush.

cynic,

Steve Thomas says something similar about a wooden splinter in his book.

It looks like the broken paintbrush was used to injure JonBenet, in the hope it would mess up any signs of prior molestation?

This is a sexually motivated homicide and there is no evidence of any intruder!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back