Drought

Irish Frieke

Reaction score
Typed this up before, but my computer decided to close down.

Ireland (and maybe the UK as well) is officially in drought. This means it hasn't rained for 15 consecutive days. From what I remember it's been since 2003 that we had such a long period of good weather.
There's a lot of pink/red people around (of which I am one, I got sunburned last Saturday while walking around a lake :blushing:), but also some very tanned people.
At least everybody seems to enjoy it while it lasts.

The blue skies above my garden are a treat to behold :rockon:

Typed this up before, but my computer decided to close down.

Ireland (and maybe the UK as well) is officially in drought. This means it hasn't rained for 15 consecutive days. From what I remember it's been since 2003 that we had such a long period of good weather.
There's a lot of pink/red people around (of which I am one, I got sunburned last Saturday while walking around a lake :blushing:), but also some very tanned people.
At least everybody seems to enjoy it while it lasts.

The blue skies above my garden are a treat to behold :rockon:

I heard it rains a lot in Ireland. 15 days of no rain is not an official drought in Missouri if we'd had normal rainfalls.

Sorry you got sunburned! I'd miss the sun if it rained all the time. When you are not used to sunny days it's easy to forget how long you are out in the sunshine. Usually happens here the first few sunny days of spring.

Is the drought bad for your area as in crop failure or low rivers? Not familiar with Ireland at all although every single person I ever knew who went to Ireland on vacation absolutely loved the place and the people.

I heard it rains a lot in Ireland. 15 days of no rain is not an official drought in Missouri if we'd had normal rainfalls.

Is the drought bad for your area as in crop failure or low rivers? Not familiar with Ireland at all although every single person I ever knew who went to Ireland on vacation absolutely loved the place and the people.

It's not that bad that crops are failing, but you do notice that the grass is yellow. Ireland is also called The Emerald Isle and of course the green has to come from somewhere. Most of the winds that we have are westerly to Northwesterly, which of course comes in from the Atlantic.
Before moving here, I never knew there were so many different tinges of green (and so many words to describe rain either)

It's not that bad that crops are failing, but you do notice that the grass is yellow. Ireland is also called The Emerald Isle and of course the green has to come from somewhere. Most of the winds that we have are westerly to Northwesterly, which of course comes in from the Atlantic.
Before moving here, I never knew there were so many different tinges of green (and so many words to describe rain either)

The people who visited Ireland did say it was amazingly green everywhere, with a lot of different greens. One person brought me back a rock, I love rocks. Looks like hard layers of clay and yep...some darkish green in it to boot.

We are getting storms off and on this week. I'll try to send you some rain and a rainbow or two.

Nearly 300 New Mexico Towns Face Water Crisis

http://www.wunderground.com/news/nearly-300-new-mexico-towns-face-water-crisis-20130808

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — State officials have been fielding a steady stream of phone calls and emails from the managers of community drinking water systems around the state as drought refuses to give up its grip on New Mexico.

The managers are looking to the state for help as they work to avert a crisis. Water levels are still dropping, aging infrastructure is being pushed to its limits and federal funding is growing more scarce.......more at link......

Nearly 300 New Mexico Towns Face Water Crisis

http://www.wunderground.com/news/nearly-300-new-mexico-towns-face-water-crisis-20130808

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — State officials have been fielding a steady stream of phone calls and emails from the managers of community drinking water systems around the state as drought refuses to give up its grip on New Mexico.

The managers are looking to the state for help as they work to avert a crisis. Water levels are still dropping, aging infrastructure is being pushed to its limits and federal funding is growing more scarce.......more at link......

Just last month, tens of thousands of gallons of water had to be trucked to the town of Magdalena after the community's sole operating well failed, leaving about 1,000 residents and several businesses without water.

How I wish we could send them some of our excess rain water! South Missouri is drowning. I don't know what's worse...drought so extreme you have to truck in water, or water everywhere that you can't really drink.

Can 'powdered rain' make drought a thing of the past?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23715031

There has been a great deal of excitement and some dramatic headlines in recent weeks about a product that is said to have the potential to overcome the global challenge of growing crops in arid conditions.

"Solid Rain" is a powder that's capable of absorbing enormous amounts of water and releasing it slowly over a year so that plants can survive and thrive in the middle of a drought.

A litre of water can be absorbed in as little as 10 grams of the material, which is a type of absorbent polymer originally pioneered by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA).

More at link.....

picture.php

This image provided by NOAA shows the U.S. Drought Monitor graphic on the U.S. Drought Portal Thursday Nov. 14, 2013. The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration will lead the initiative to provide better and more accessible information about matters such as long-term weather prospects and soil moisture levels under a program designed to help communities prepare for future droughts and respond more effectively when they happen, Obama administration officials said Thursday. (AP Photo/NOAA)

Program designed to help prepare for droughts

The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration will lead the initiative, which grew out of a series of regional forums held in response to the 2012 drought, the most severe and widespread in more than 70 years. It covered more than two-thirds of the continental U.S. and caused more than $30 billion in losses from crop failures, wildfires and other ripple effects.......more.......

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...p-program_designed_to_help_prepare_for_dro-ap

What are some other ways to describe rain Irish Frieke?

Can 'powdered rain' make drought a thing of the past?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23715031

More at link.....

I never heard of "powered rain" :what: pretty strange stuff. Hope it's more helpful than harmful.

I had to laugh at this, from the article above...

"Back in the 1970s, USDA developed a super absorbent product made from a type of starch nicknamed the "super slurper". :floorlaugh:

Drought prompts disaster declarations in 11 states

http://centurylink.net/news/read/ca...p-drought_prompts_disaster_declarations_in-ap

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Federal officials have designated portions of 11 drought-ridden western and central states as primary natural disaster areas, highlighting the financial strain the lack of rain is likely to bring to farmers in those regions.

The announcement by the U.S. Department of Agriculture on Wednesday included counties in Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada, Kansas, Texas, Utah, Arkansas, Hawaii, Idaho, Oklahoma and California.

The designation means eligible farmers can qualify for low-interest emergency loans from the department......more.......

Yes I know that the firth of Forth is Scotland. I liked it too. Yes I kissed the blarney stone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back