Duchess of York (Sarah Ferguson) Caught in Money for Access Sting

I've met Prince Andrew and can't imagine anyone paying money to do so...LOL...He's a nice enough fellow, but I found him very dull.

'Phew, I've had a heavy day': Fergie tries to put on a brave face over £500,000 cash-for-access scandal at star-studded charity dinner

Sarah Ferguson attempted to put on a brave face over the £500,000 cash-for-access scandal last night, telling a charity awards dinner: 'Phew... I've had a heavy day.'
---
And to roars of laughter, she added: 'I learned today about making a difference. Most importantly I learned I hate grown-ups and I love children.'
---
Prince Andrew arrived back from a visit to Singapore last night as his ex-wife offered to quit his royal residence in the wake of the scandal.

The duchess' offer to move out of the royal residence presents her ex-husband with a dilemma. If he accepts Sarah's offer to move out, he has no idea where she will go or who will pay for her accommodation.

There is also the risk that, outside the royal fold, she could be a loose cannon causing further mayhem.
---
'We have been here so many times before with the duchess,' said one senior royal insider. 'She's offered to leave before but she never goes.'
---

(from the Daily Mail, so all should be taken with a grain of salt)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ht-offering-access-Prince-Andrew-500-000.html

Yeah, but how sad that their mother's well-being was only worth 20k a year to the royals? Huh?

Eve

So, because her alimony is $ 20K a year are you saying that you agree with what she tried to do with selling out her husband? Sarah needs to get a job if she can't make do on her alimony just like most woman have to do. Sorry, I'm not feeling sorry for the Duchess.

The Guardian has a balanced commentary, not necessarily sympathetic to Fergie but critical of the palace, today:
Fergie: a desperate duchess

---
The woman is skint. And, like any desperate person, she will do almost anything to get her hands on some cash. Fergie has made it abundantly clear that if this means "using" Andrew she will not think twice.

It isn't attractive – it's not so different from selling your mother. But the question has to be asked: how has the Queen allowed the situation to deteriorate to this level? The duchess was always a loose cannon and needed looking after.

The amount of money apparently granted to Fergie on her divorce was abysmal; £15,000 a year is hardly a fortune for any divorcee with children to bring up. But when those children are granddaughters of the sovereign, such a piffling amount is asking for trouble. And now the Windsors have got it.
---

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/23/desperate-duchess-queen-failure

So, because her alimony is $ 20K a year are you saying that you agree with what she tried to do with selling out her husband? Sarah needs to get a job if she can't make do on her alimony just like most woman have to do. Sorry, I'm not feeling sorry for the Duchess.

Thank you! I was beginning to feel like I was the only one who felt this way.

I don't know. A part of me thinks this is skeezy, but a part of me wonders what purpose the royals serve other than to be gawked at, anyway, so why not make some cash off it.

All of me does wonder why anyone would pay to meet this guy, though.

My husband is from the UK, and we visit often. I'd have to say their newspapers are quite more scandelous than the US (if that's even possible). People buy/sell stories all the time -- and it's not illegal. This is just a huge embarrasment to her and will affect her relationship with Andrew and her daughters.

She certainly had a serious lapse in judgement, but money will do that to you. Actually, I'm quite suprised she fell for it. I didn't think she was that stoopid.

Which also begs the question -- has she done this before with an actual reporter??

MOO

Mel

If any of the real royals were involved, they would have slapped a D notice on the tabloids or other journos - the story would not have seen the light of day. Fergie is supposedly always skint, this is not the first time she's been in financial hot water. Read on....Sarah Duchess of York...under after the divorce.

The apple does not fall from the tree.

I really used to like Sarah Ferguson, but she's had so many oppertunities to fix her financial problems and hasn't. At one point wasn't she under contract to Weight Watchers and didn't she write a book. I really want to love her again, but there is something unroyal and tacky about her.

Sophie had some similar problems before she married Edward, but clearly she learned her lesson, albeit she's still married! :waitasec:

Anne and hubby #2 keep a low profile, even ole Chas and Camilla keep it quiet leaving all the outrageous stuff to come from Phil. Once the Queen goes it will be interesting to see what happens to the monarchy. Her majesty is a very nice girl as the Beatles wrote, but the rest of them are "pets" that the British economy can ill afford and is likely to dump IMHO.

That will be an ugly divorce.

"Vulgar, vulgar, vulgar," as the palace official said.

The comments below the News of the World articles are lots of fun. Sympathy for Sarah is balanced by republican cries to do away with monarchy. Since my family hasn't lived there since '85 (that would be 1685), I guess I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I do feel a bit sorry for Sarah (only £15k a year? ouch!) but also feel monarchy's time has come and gone.

I have no idea how they justify paying the royals from British citizen's taxes. I don't remember where but I seem to recall reading that the vast majority of the British support the idea of keeping the royals around.

Yeah, I think they meant thousand instead of million. :crazy: 500,000 pounds would be around 720,000 dollars.

No 500,000 pounds is 250 tons. :innocent:

My husband is from the UK, and we visit often. I'd have to say their newspapers are quite more scandelous than the US (if that's even possible). People buy/sell stories all the time -- and it's not illegal. This is just a huge embarrasment to her and will affect her relationship with Andrew and her daughters.

She certainly had a serious lapse in judgement, but money will do that to you. Actually, I'm quite suprised she fell for it. I didn't think she was that stoopid.

Which also begs the question -- has she done this before with an actual reporter??

MOO

Mel

If the people putting up the money got special political favors from the prince then it would be illegal, at least in the U.S.. While the royals have no say in Parliament I believe their opinions are taken seriously.

Here's a CNN video on the controversy.

Evidently the information he has to sell is information on upcoming large business deals. I would imagine somebody could make a lot of money from that information. JMO

You know I've always liked Sarah/ Fergie, and do feel badly for the humiliation she has brought upon herself, and her daughters, but...
that's the thing with Integrity- you either have it or you don't.

If Prince Andrew really didn't know about this 'deal' beforehand, then he is the one I feel the worst for. He is the one who trusted her, and the one that she 'sold-out' and betrayed.

I'm not sure why she hasn't really worked after their divorce. She may not have received a lot of cash in alimony, but by all reports, Andrew has still provided well for her. She lives with him still, after all these years.

She may use the excuse that it's too hard for her to work as a former member of the Royal Family, because of the constant scrutiny, but I think that's a cop-out.

Just remember Jackie Kennedy Onassis. She endured much harsher scrutiny from the entire world, yet she was independently and gainfully employed (publishing house/ editor) after being widowed and divorced.

Sarah, I believe, is a very clever woman. She really should have found a way to find and hold a job outside of the Royal Family. Stop riding on the coat tails of her former husband and his family. Stop with the laziness and sense of entitlement, and get a job.

Instead she put a price tag on her own (and Andrew's) reputation. She soiled the very name that has been opening doors for her for a quarter of a century.

I guess she was so focused on what she didn't have, she failed to realize that the most valuable things she did have were her integrity, reputation, and good name.

I'd like to know all the details, though. Apparently she still lives in one of the palaces and has servants. If the deal was that all her expenses for living, travel, food, care of the children, etc. are paid and the $20K was just for personal spending money above and beyond that it's not quite the same story.

Still wouldn't make what she was doing honorable. And I have admired her, she's also a pilot which impresses me.

I would like to know details too. And don't get me wrong, I think what she did was classless, tacky and dishonorable. I just think the royals would have been smarter to keep her a little happier, she has been known to be "embarassing" in the past. This just isn't that surprising, I don't think. They are very, very rich and very, very stingy.

Eve

I would like to know details too. And don't get me wrong, I think what she did was classless, tacky and dishonorable. I just think the royals would have been smarter to keep her a little happier, she has been known to be "embarassing" in the past. This just isn't that surprising, I don't think. They are very, very rich and very, very stingy.

I believe that Princess Di used to live in one of their homes after she divorced Prince Charles. I'm wondering if the Duchess still gets royal protection? I know Di turned her's down. I've always wondered about Sarah's relationship with her ex husband. They seems awfully close for a divorced couple.:twocents:

The selling of access to Andrew was obviously a big mistake on her part.
C'mon.... 20K for alimony for a Dutchess???
Princess Diana should have sent over her lawyer.

did anyone else see the Duchess on Oprah?
I thought it was a very heavily edited piece. Oprah would ask a question, then they would go to break and when the show resumed the question was not addressed again.
Unfortunately, I thought the Duchess came across as not a very bright person.

The Guardian's dismissive take on Fergie's Oprah antics
Sarah Ferguson on Oprah: the duchess, the debts and the TV diva
---
By her own admission, Ferguson is broke, desperate, self-loathing, self- abusing, stupid, idiotic, naïve and, frankly, rather kooky.
---
"I feel sorry for her, bless her. I feel really sorry," Ferguson said as she watched the video, her face in her hand. "She looks exhausted. Sad really."

It became clear, with a little teasing out from Winfrey, that Ferguson was referring to herself. Why was she talking about herself in the third person, Winfrey wanted to know. Was it, she might have added, the "royal we"?
---
"I think I've been a huge over-trusting idiotic stupid woman," she concluded. Winfrey all but nodded.

and more, at
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jun/02/sarah-ferguson-on-oprah-duchess-debts-tv

When Princess Diana was a little girl, she called QE 'Aunt Lillibet', a family diminutive for Elizabeth. She was a close family associate all her life, and then she married Charles. After that, the Royal Family pretty much ignored her, did little to help her prepare for and endure public life, refused to order Charles to give up Camilla (it was widely recommended that Camilla's military husband should be posted to Australia), and generally left Diana to manage her own life, both before and after her divorce.

When these non-royal girls, no matter how well-bred, are brought into the Royal Family, they need to be nurtured and cherished. Some have thought that Andrew would like to remarry Sarah, but since he would have to have his Mum's permission, he can't as long as the Queen lives. Then it would be up to Prince/King Charles to give the permission.

I think that having a monarchy has helped Britain survive as a democracy through the centuries, and it is a moneymaker for tourism, etc. But, Day-um, they sure treat the daughters-in-law in a cold fashion. Camilla has received better treatment than either of the others ever did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back