Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

I cannot figure out how to work the flight tracker on my phone. If any gurus are interested, could you check West Wendover for the flight pattern today around 5:00 pm.

Chopper possibly flying a circle pattern for quite some time today. Could be nothing, could be something, but also interesting that this is one of the areas where it is believed that Aiden Clune may have been before his disappearance.

I believe there are also a few fires in the area, but the pattern doesn’t seem like a firefighting chopper.

IMO

From my search on PACER, a docket entry/notes for 7/06 for this case reads [see 1st image attached]
07/05/2022 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Magistrate Judge Brooke C. Wells: Initial Appearance/Attorney Appointment Hearing/Detention Hearing as to James Brenner held on 7/5/2022. Defendant present IN-PERSON and in custody. Financial Affidavit submitted. The court appoints FPD counsel. Added attorney Tessa Mary Hansen for James Brenner. The defendant waives formal reading of Complaint. Rights and penalties explained. The govt. seeks detention. The defendant seeks a continuance of his detention hearing. The court orders the defendant detained and remanded to the USMS pending detention hearing..( Arraignment set for 7/8/2022 at 01:30 PM in Rm 8.400 before Magistrate Judge Brooke C. Wells., Detention Hearing set for 7/8/2022 at 01:30 PM in Rm 8.400 before Magistrate Judge Jared C. Bennett.) Attorney for Plaintiff: Carlos Esqueda, Attorney for Defendant: Tessa Hansen, FPD. Interpreter: Not Needed. Probation Officer: Cat Bye-Routh. Court Reporter: electronic.(Time Start: 1:30:00 PM, Time End: 1:40:00 PM, Room 8.400.) (ksm)”

That docket entry seems to say there is a Detention hearing set for Friday 7/08 but I am a bit confused as the Case status page is also showing the case as “terminated” with no future hearings on 7/08 [may have just encountered some error on PACER; see 2nd image]

Possibly also of note to fellow WSers, he has been appointed Attorney Tessa Hansen as his public defender, I see she is currently the President of the Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Their website says they are “a professional non-profit organization that works to ensure fairness in our criminal justice system. UACDL is committed to maintaining and fostering the integrity, independence, and expertise of criminal defense lawyers as they work to protect the important individual rights guaranteed by the United States and Utah constitutions. UACDL supports lawyers who actively represent the rights of those who have been accused with a crime, by providing access to important defense resources and information and by offering training and educational opportunities.”

EDITing to add- after searching more, maybe it’s just a typo or something but as part of their Motion for Detention they have an X next to both boxes for- “The victims in this matter seek a no contact order.” & “This matter does not involve a victim requiring notification. (Image 3)

Attachments

• 6C0DDB27-D2FC-4204-9C7D-BED3E35679F0.jpeg
    6C0DDB27-D2FC-4204-9C7D-BED3E35679F0.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 47159A15-A06B-4E1E-8876-F9F3A98F396E.jpeg
    47159A15-A06B-4E1E-8876-F9F3A98F396E.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 36524F3D-8081-4B6C-87DC-D4B12AAD1331.jpeg
    36524F3D-8081-4B6C-87DC-D4B12AAD1331.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
From my search on PACER, a docket entry/notes for 7/06 for this case reads [see 1st image attached]
07/05/2022 Minute Entry for proceedings held before Judge Magistrate Judge Brooke C. Wells: Initial Appearance/Attorney Appointment Hearing/Detention Hearing as to James Brenner held on 7/5/2022. Defendant present IN-PERSON and in custody. Financial Affidavit submitted. The court appoints FPD counsel. Added attorney Tessa Mary Hansen for James Brenner. The defendant waives formal reading of Complaint. Rights and penalties explained. The govt. seeks detention. The defendant seeks a continuance of his detention hearing. The court orders the defendant detained and remanded to the USMS pending detention hearing..( Arraignment set for 7/8/2022 at 01:30 PM in Rm 8.400 before Magistrate Judge Brooke C. Wells., Detention Hearing set for 7/8/2022 at 01:30 PM in Rm 8.400 before Magistrate Judge Jared C. Bennett.) Attorney for Plaintiff: Carlos Esqueda, Attorney for Defendant: Tessa Hansen, FPD. Interpreter: Not Needed. Probation Officer: Cat Bye-Routh. Court Reporter: electronic.(Time Start: 1:30:00 PM, Time End: 1:40:00 PM, Room 8.400.) (ksm)”

That docket entry seems to say there is a Detention hearing set for Friday 7/08 but I am a bit confused as the Case status page is also showing the case as “terminated” with no future hearings on 7/08 [may have just encountered some error on PACER; see 2nd image]

Possibly also of note to fellow WSers, he has been appointed Attorney Tessa Hansen as his public defender, I see she is currently the President of the Utah Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. Their website says they are “a professional non-profit organization that works to ensure fairness in our criminal justice system. UACDL is committed to maintaining and fostering the integrity, independence, and expertise of criminal defense lawyers as they work to protect the important individual rights guaranteed by the United States and Utah constitutions. UACDL supports lawyers who actively represent the rights of those who have been accused with a crime, by providing access to important defense resources and information and by offering training and educational opportunities.”
^^bbm

@MTW2011 -- I also had the terminated disposition message but I also think the case number is being merged.

Also, I think the merge case number could be a timing issue given JB has been in custody since June 20. The detention hearing is typically heard at the initial appearance but in this case, it wasn't.

OK, It makes sense now reading that the defendant wanted a continuance of his detention hearing, and now it's set for July 8 date.

This gives the lawyer and defense investigator time to develop a stronger case for release. JMO

Jaz just posted on the official Facebook Page James Brenner and Chase Venstra but I haven't read his yet to see what it says - here they are:
Thanks, @spiritseeker31.

The JB document is the same previously published by East Idaho News. However, the CV document is new.

Just like JB, Venstra is now being charged in US District Court (Feds) for felon in possession of a weapon (he had several).

I think the federal gun charge will also result in a detention hearing where he won't be returning to Montana on the warrant he was picked up on weeks ago. MOO

I'm horrible with remembering names and I'm following too many cases right now.
So JB is officially a suspect now according to that court doc. Was it determined that he was one of the men DR's family contacted to check on DR when they initially couldn't reach him? The "family friend"?
It looks like the other person is only facing firearm charges so idk if I can discuss them but I remember those initials being mentioned too.
If anyone wants to give a brief rehash of who these key players are (that we are allowed to talk about) I would appreciate it so so much! I remember all the various events/timelines/locations - I just can't recall whose initials are attached to each situation.
In the meantime I will peruse the threads again to try and answer my own questions.
This is why insomniac me shouldn't check for updates at 5am when I haven't slept since yesterday

I'm horrible with remembering names and I'm following too many cases right now.
So JB is officially a suspect now according to that court doc. Was it determined that he was one of the men DR's family contacted to check on DR when they initially couldn't reach him? The "family friend"?
It looks like the other person is only facing firearm charges so idk if I can discuss them but I remember those initials being mentioned too.
If anyone wants to give a brief rehash of who these key players are (that we are allowed to talk about) I would appreciate it so so much! I remember all the various events/timelines/locations - I just can't recall whose initials are attached to each situation.
In the meantime I will peruse the threads again to try and answer my own questions.
This is why insomniac me shouldn't check for updates at 5am when I haven't slept since yesterday

Yes, James Brenner has been named as a suspect in DR missing according to his court documents. Before his arrest on 6/20, he was otherwise known as "Jim"-- the other person along with Don that DR's grandmother contacted to check on DR when he did not call her back on Saturday. Both men live on or surrounding DR's farm property.

CV is also known as the shoeless man that DR encountered on the gravel road.

Thanks, @spiritseeker31.

The JB document is the same previously published by East Idaho News. However, the CV document is new.

Just like JB, Venstra is now being charged in US District Court (Feds) for felon in possession of a weapon (he had several).

I think the federal gun charge will also result in a detention hearing where he won't be returning to Montana on the warrant he was picked up on weeks ago. MOO
The previous document was different. First one, 5 pages long, was filed 06/29 second filed 07/06. The second, 10 pages long, (that I showed a screen cap of) refers to JB as a suspect in DRs disappearance.

Is JB the ex employee that was recently fired?
No, DH was. However, my understanding is that both DH and JB worked for Dylan, and have both been described as “family friends”.

DH is also the one who reported JB to the police for having left his firearms with him.

Seems like DH may have known or suspected something all along, and wanted to distance himself from it pronto. Just my thoughts.

A message from BECSO (BBM):

The law enforcement investigation into the disappearance of Dylan Rounds is ongoing. Law enforcement continues to be in the Lucin area. At this time there are no organized searches planned for members of the public to participate in that are supported or authorized by law enforcement. We are asking the public to not search the area, as it has the potential to compromise the investigation.
We are working with the Rounds family, and they have asked us to share their following statement:
As a family, we are not asking for, or requesting any additional public searches for Dylan Rounds at this time. We request that everyone allow law enforcement to continue their organized investigation without any hindrance or interference, in order to avoid jeopardizing the investigation.
We thank everyone for their continued support in finding Dylan Rounds.

Some people/groups might still try searching. Are they motivated by the $100k reward?

A message from BECSO (BBM):

The law enforcement investigation into the disappearance of Dylan Rounds is ongoing. Law enforcement continues to be in the Lucin area. At this time there are no organized searches planned for members of the public to participate in that are supported or authorized by law enforcement. We are asking the public to not search the area, as it has the potential to compromise the investigation.
We are working with the Rounds family, and they have asked us to share their following statement:
As a family, we are not asking for, or requesting any additional public searches for Dylan Rounds at this time. We request that everyone allow law enforcement to continue their organized investigation without any hindrance or interference, in order to avoid jeopardizing the investigation.
We thank everyone for their continued support in finding Dylan Rounds.

Some people/groups might still try searching. Are they motivated by the $100k reward?
It's going to be sad for sure, but this release tells me they know what's what, the family has been brought up to speed, they don't need any help from the public.

Arrests for Dylan's disappearance IMO are imminent, perhaps pending digital analysis or forensic identification.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back