Found Deceased UT - Dylan Rounds, 19, Lucin, Box Elder Co, May 2022 #2 *Arrest*

Interesting that it's a federal charge. Utah also has a felon in possession of a firearm law, so it seems like he could have been charged in state court as well. But perhaps there's some technicality (gun type/prior felony type) that makes the federal statute better.

Since state resources can't match the resources of the ATF, I don't ever recall seeing a case where the state did not recognize the Supremacy Clause of Article VI of the US Constitution, a federal law is binding on all state and local governments, so long as Congress duly enacted the law pursuant to one of its limited powers, AND defer to the Feds to prosecute the offender.

One less prosecution, one less inmate, etc.,.....

IMO, I think not using the well-developed 26 U.S.C. gun statutes puts a state at risk of falling into "some technicality" where the state prosecutor might see the charges thrown out.

A good example here is where the 22 Winchester Rifle, allegedly possessed by JB, was allegedly left behind inside the trailer by the previous squatter, and where the weapon's origin is probably unknown, but most likely transported across the country to Utah. MOO

IMO the latest development was the most logical explanation from the start.
Agree that it makes most sense in terms of looking closeby the site of the disappearance for clues and/or suspicious... individuals. I just am having a hard time coming up with a reason for the relationship between these middle-aged men and DR, aside from proximity. I know some of them have worked for him or his family in the past, but it's hard to imagine a reason to want DR to be "disappeared"... but obviously there is so much not known to us at this point.

Agree that it makes most sense in terms of looking closeby the site of the disappearance for clues and/or suspicious... individuals. I just am having a hard time coming up with a reason for the relationship between these middle-aged men and DR, aside from proximity. I know some of them have worked for him or his family in the past, but it's hard to imagine a reason to want DR to be "disappeared"... but obviously there is so much not known to us at this point.
MOO:
I think this seems it could just be a a case of bad temper, there is the previous aggression towards the elderly person. And maybe some bitterness/ jealousy to be working for the 19-year old land owner, who appears to be pretty succesful in what he does.

Purely speculation---just wondering if it went something like this:

Dylan hurried to get his truck to the shelter, before the rain ruined the seeds. After he parked, he was stuck walking back the 5 miles to the trailer.

Apparently, he was parked very close to Jim, the squatter's camper, at this time.

Maybe Dylan took a chance on asking him for a ride back home, even offering him some cash or some food or something in exchange? Dylan may have walked over there to ask? And he arrived at a very bad time ? Or when he opened his wallet to offer Jim 10 bucks for a quick ride, Jim took the opportunity to grab the wallet and take the kid down?

Or maybe Jim happened upon Dylan while he was at the seed truck, or when he was walking back home? Maybe Jim was drunk, high or just angry, and he acted out violently---as described in his recent assault on the elderly man?

The recent arrest may well be the person behind this apparent crime. On the other hand, it seems like just about everyone in this area has a criminal record (except Dylan). This area seems like a modern day wild, wild west town - the barefoot man was a fugitive from justice, rumors of kidnapped women, etc. It has been established that DR carried a pistol with him.

My reservations about the arrested man involve the potential clean up. If he was able to dispose of the body in a location where it has not been recoverable so far, why separate DR from his boots? What we have is a suspicious character, but I have seen no evidence of his involvement.

Do we have any reports about the arrested man's height? Would he have a need to move the pickup seat forward? (although I suspect the seat may have been moved forward to retrieve something from behind it.)

The recent arrest may well be the person behind this apparent crime. On the other hand, it seems like just about everyone in this area has a criminal record (except Dylan). This area seems like a modern day wild, wild west town - the barefoot man was a fugitive from justice, rumors of kidnapped women, etc. It has been established that DR carried a pistol with him.

My reservations about the arrested man involve the potential clean up. If he was able to dispose of the body in a location where it has not been recoverable so far, why separate DR from his boots? What we have is a suspicious character, but I have seen no evidence of his involvement.

Do we have any reports about the arrested man's height? Would he have a need to move the pickup seat forward? (although I suspect the seat may have been moved forward to retrieve something from behind it.)
I agree that there is no evidence of his involvement. His arrest is not for anything connected to Dylan, that we know of.

And I agree that there are many others that are possible suspects because of past criminal history and basic sketchiness. Too many possibilities to choose from, for sure.

But there are a couple of things that make me look at Jim sideways.

---He came to do a wellness check. How many times have we seen the perp in that position? Reminds me of a few cases, like Chase Merritt in the McStay family case, as one example.

---He was reportedly fired by Dylan recently, which could be a cause for some resentment between them.

---He is a squatter and is likely in need of money. This could have been a robbery in some way that we don't know about yet?

---There was a report of his recent assault on an elderly victim which showed his temper and his violent tendencies.

---He is staying RIGHT THERE on the edge of property. Talk about opportunity. And he had a way to see what was going on with Dylan without being noticed. And to know when no one else was around.

---Dylan's last known destination seemed to be right near Jim's camper. And the late afternoon cell ping location was still possibly in that same area.

---He was perfect candidate for someone who could/would use the power washer. I think the only people who would have used that power washer were ex-employees or close friends/family, who would know it was there, how to hook to the retention pond, and who would feel comfortable staying around on the property for so long. A neighbour/ex employee fits that bill perfectly.

He may not be the perpetrator but he checks a lot of the boxes, imo.

The article said that the arrested man was squatting '5 miles away' from Dylan's trailer. Is it in the same 5 mile direction that the seed truck was parked and the boots were found?
Brenner was living/squatting near the shop where the grain truck was stored and the boots were found. The affidavit gives the name of the LLC that owns the property.

It’s listed as Shop where boots found on this map: Dylan Rounds Case Map

^^rsbm
The parents identified the recently fired farmhand as "Don."
That’s what I was going to say as well @Seattle1 But I never saw the ”firing” to be much of a motive any way. I wonder if JB knew about all the money Dylan was alleged to have? ie., the loan from his grandfather and the money he’d recently earned. I believe CC talked about this money in one of her interviews, so I don’t think it’s rumor. Still, I’ll say I’m not entirely sure of that. I admit to having gone down so many YT rabbit holes on this one, I’m not entirely sure of the source on the money issue. So MOO

Can anyone link the interview where CC mentions all the money Dylan was alleged to have? I've been rewatching her interviews but can't seem to find it anywhere. Trying to assess whether this is fact or just another rumor. Thanks!

Is James Brenner one of the 2 men that worked for Dylan? The person that CC calls Jim in various interviews? If so, he’s one of the people the Grandmother called on that first Sunday to check on Dylan. One of the people Dylan’s family trusted. This is so sad.
EBM: The family confirmed that this is the same person as Jim on their official facebook page. Unsure if I'm allowed to link this but here it is! Log into Facebook

Last edited:
This case has been a little nutty to say the least. For such a small town, geez at the gossip. Listened to a podcast with a longtime resident who had nothing good to say about the older man from the bar, that the pi railed on about. But didn't seem to think he has anything to do with DR's disappearance. He did however believe that CV was probably guilty.
Motive more than likely $. This guy said it was well known in town that DR had just received a 30k check for some work he was doing for other local farmers.

Can anyone link the interview where CC mentions all the money Dylan was alleged to have? I've been rewatching her interviews but can't seem to find it anywhere. Trying to assess whether this is fact or just another rumor. Thanks!

It was in one of the earliest videos where CC clarified that DR did not reside in Lucin full-time and that he also worked for others when he'd return to Idaho after farming season. In the video, she confirmed his $30K payment for prior services was deposited, and there'd been no activity in DR's financial accounts since he'd gone missing.

I'm aware the former PI has muddied this issue, citing unverified amounts and sources, that should be treated as rumors on this thread.

Attachments

• 912F6915-D220-4632-8040-4EE6C1BDA4A0.jpeg
    912F6915-D220-4632-8040-4EE6C1BDA4A0.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 13E70931-95EC-4EC9-A0D6-580A93F2F091.jpeg
    13E70931-95EC-4EC9-A0D6-580A93F2F091.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 51
Looks like former PI was finally served a cease and desist from the family.

Can be read about here Attorney for Dylan Rounds' parents sends private investigator cease-and-desist letter - East Idaho News (but I also posted the letter below). I hope he will, at the very least, stop trying to get in the way of the family searching for answers in pursuit of his own personal gain [whatever that may be or mean to him]. The family has enough to deal with right now, more than enough
It’s about time he’s stopped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back