Earliest Photo of Helen Keller & Teacher Uncovered

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by close_enough, Mar 6, 2008.

1. close_enough

close_enough Inactive

i think this is really cool!

BOSTON — Researchers have uncovered a rare photograph of a young Helen Keller with her teacher Anne Sullivan, nearly 120 years after it was taken on Cape Cod..

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335410,00.html

2. Loading...

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Researchers have uncovered a rare photograph of a young Helen Keller with her teacher Anne Sullivan, nearly 120 years after it was taken on Cape Cod. The photograph, shot in July 1888 in Brewster, shows an 8-year-old Helen sitting outside in a light-colored dress, holding Sullivan's hand and cradling one of her beloved dolls.

Experts on Keller's life believe it could be the earliest photo of the two women together and the only one showing the blind and deaf child with a doll — the first word Sullivan spelled for Keller after they met in 1887 — according to the New England Historic Genealogical Society, which now has the photo.

"It's really one of the best images I've seen in a long, long time," said Helen Selsdon, an archivist at the American Foundation for the Blind, where Keller worked for more than 40 years. "This is just a huge visual addition to the history of Helen and Annie."

Much more at link, including the picture:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080306..._photograph;_ylt=Aj_Ua4VDB3D6bdrsp14TeyKs0NUE

4. golfmom

golfmom Former Member

What an amazing photo!

5. Mira

Mira Country Girl

lovely picture. so many things went through my mind seeing it. i have always identified with helen.

while i was not blind or deaf, i was severely disturbed when i went to live with my auntie and uncle. the first time i saw the earlier movie, the scene where helen runs amok in the dining room was so close to how i behaved that it gave me chills. with love and devotion, she brought me out of my deep dark world.

6. kahskye

kahskye Inactive

What an excellent picture! I found this article very interesting. We've always loved watching Miracle Worker. That part where Helen is pumping the water and finally associates words and their meaning always makes my eyes water.

7. DeltaDawn

DeltaDawn Inactive

What a beautiful photograph. Thank you so much for bringing this photo and story to our attention.

8. believe09

believe09 New Member

the very first book report I ever did was on Helen Keller...I adore this new photograph, and I love the quotations from the man whose family used to play with Helen on Cape Cod...bless him.

9. capps

capps New Member

Oh I love stuff like this! I am a history buff,and love to see any kind of "original" pictures,buildings,artifacts,etc.What wondeful condition the picture in the link is.The Miracle Worker was a beautiful story and Patty Duke and Anne Bancroft played it wonderfully.

As I said,I love orginals,whenever I go to California,I stop to see Jack London's (the famous author) dream house that was built in 1913,but burned down weeks before he and his wife were to move in.Here is a link if you're interested:
    http://www.parks.sonoma.net/wolfhouse.html

That is why I would love to go to Dallas,Texas one day,to Dealey Plaza where Kennedy was assassinated just to feel a part of history.

Thank you so much for sharing this thread,I thoughly enjoyed seeing the original picture of Helen Keller!

10. capps

capps New Member

ooops! close-enough,I didn't notice that you had put this thread up first and I posted in Dark_Knight's thread.

Sorry..but it is a great picture,isn't it!?

11. Hopeful One

Hopeful One Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who

That is cool!!!! Two very amazing women.

12. gardenmom

gardenmom Former Member

Amazing! She was an incredible woman and inspiration to many. PS, I found the quote in my siggy line and it speaks volumes to the kind of woman she was.

13. Jacobi

Jacobi New Member

14. nanandjim

nanandjim Former Member

That is a great photo with a great story behind it. :) Helen Keller was a cutie, wasn't she? She also looked a tad bit spoiled. ;)

15. KOOL LOOK

KOOL LOOK ~~~Sin is the Cause of all Sorrow~~~For this Gal,

I love the history behind all of this. Amazingly delighted in going back into time and feeling as though you were there sharing in the day.

16. White Rain

White Rain New Member

What an absolute beauty she was!!!

17. Glow

Glow New Member

They seem so close and attuned to one another. I guess they naturally would be given their relationship but this picture sure manages to capture that in a palpable way!

18. Floh

Floh Former Member

A genuinely stirring picture. treasure, absolute. :)

19. philamena

philamena Former Member

It gave me chills. What a miraculous picture.
    Helen was a beautiful child.

20. izzyB

izzyB Inactive

this comment is a joke...right??

21. Filly

Filly KICKING AND SHINING

Me too I got the chills. I thought I was being a weirdo. I mean chills. What an amazing and wonderful photograph. They both were beautiful. Thank you for sharing that CE!