Earthquake in VA 5.8

i bet it turns out to be higher than the 5.9 being reported right now.... seems like it was felt really really far away

Tremors hit Toronto Canada, after 5.8 magnitude earthquake rocks Virginia

Hollye (WS's awesome map maker) just said the national cathedral has structure damage according to the local news

wow a whole lotta shaking going on....
I'm in PA, just near the DE/MD/PA intersection. Ouch! We felt it here, and then some. I am in a wood frame house, and there was a distinctive shaking back and forth, and it lasted quite some time. I went through a small (3.8 I think) earthquake in NYC several years ago, in a brick 3 story house, and that was very loud and sharp. This was quiet, gentle and loooong. Yuck if I didn't mind earthquakes I would move to CA - this better not be a new thing on the East Coast!!

Wow.....getting msgs from folks in PA, Ohio, VA, Maryland, Toronto, Montreal....they all felt it.

As a survivor of Loma Prieta in the Bay Area - I feel for you all!!!

It's a surreal and unsettling feeling. Thank God it wasn't larger and the damage and injury toll is small. Since the buildings are not retro-fitted to earthquake code, it could have been much worse. Hold on for after shocks. Those are the worst...you keep wondering if they are going to get bigger :eek:

Honestly, I think the most unsettling part was the initial fear that we are very close to the 9/11 anniversary and earthquakes weren't the first thing that came to mind.

Shouldnt there have been precursors to this earthquake? If you look at the history for the past few days, Colorado had a 5.3 last night for almost 24 hours prior they had smaller ones which I have seen with major earthquakes before. Only thing noted is up in NY/VT border and that was like really tiny. Makes me worry if this was the precursor.
Becareful if you are in this area.

I grew up in VA and my sister still lives in N. VA (Leesburg). Took me quite a while to get through to her, but she said the house just shook a little. She said she has a migraine and was laying on the couch, felt the couch shake and thought it was one of my nieces doing it:)

She told me she hadn't even put on the news and I suggested she do so. Oh my word, her and I are almost polar opposites:)

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/23/quake-hits-near-washington-d-c/?hpt=hp_c2

5.9 magnitude earthquake near D.C. felt along East Coast

The epicenter was in Mineral, Virginia. Did you feel it? Send CNN an iReport. CNN's political producer Peter Hamby was vacationing with his family near Mineral and said he felt the shaking for 45 seconds.

"It's one of the largest that we've had there," said U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Lucy Jones.

Aftershocks were a concern, she said. "People should be expecting (them), especially over the next hour or two," she added.

The quake was felt in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; New York City and on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, where President Barack Obama is vacationing. Cell phone service has been disrupted in New York City part of which has been evacuated.

Traders in the New York Stock Exchange felt the shaking and shouted to each other, "Keep trading!":floorlaugh:

As a survivor of Loma Prieta in the Bay Area - I feel for you all!!!

It's a surreal and unsettling feeling. Thank God it wasn't larger and the damage and injury toll is small. Since the buildings are not retro-fitted to earthquake code, it could have been much worse. Hold on for after shocks. Those are the worst...you keep wondering if they are going to get bigger :eek:

Me too! I remember being in the grocery store and we had an aftershock. My big butt climbed under the shopping cart!

I didn't feel a thing but received an email alert from my local TV station in Detroit.

Earthquake Reports Tremble Across SE Michigan

POSTED: Tuesday, August 23, 2011

UPDATED: 2:52 pm EDT August 23, 2011

DETROIT -- Calls from across southeast Michigan are flooding the Local 4 newsroom with reports of people having felt the ground shake just before 2 p.m.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28951694/detail.html

This EQ was felt in such a widespread area. It is surprising it is only 5.9 or so. As a lifelong Californian I have felt much bigger ones. [ the Loma Prieta was 7.1] But they are not usually felt by so many others so spread out. This must have hit a perfect spot somehow.

A 5.9 in California barely makes the news. Maybe because everything is earthquake retrofitted and everyone is used to it.

Okay - we felt that pretty good (in NoVa - the DC metro area). DS and I were stopped at a red light and the car starting shaking, from side to side. I told DS to stop shaking the car, and he was like, "Huh?" It wasn't until we noticed people outside around buildings that I realized something was up and stopped to ask what was going on...

Freaky. No like. :no:

For those trying to reach people and finding cell phone service problems......often a text message will go through even when calls do not work.

jmo

Okay ,felt that.

Still no phone service ,trying to get ahold of hubby who is near DC.Lake anna power plant in reporting "small issues" but I havent had a minute to find out what or why.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veryinterested68
Back