Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/loca...symptoms-during-flight-to-cleveland/17368573/

CDC: Vinson may have had symptoms during flight to Cleveland
WKYC Staff, WKYC 4:23 p.m. EDT October 16, 2014

snipped
AKRON, Ohio -- A spokesman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says they have new information that shows Amber Vinson may have had symptoms of Ebola as early as Friday.

Summit County Public Health officials say eight people, six in Summit County and two in Cuyahoga County, are in quarantine.

Because the CDC told her it was ok.

Hi SStar. When I read your response, for some reason I heard my dear mother saying "if they told you to jump of a roof, would you?" :giggle:

HMMM. I think the CDC went into panic mode when they realized that Amber had been sick for 4 days. That must be why she was in worse shape than Nina, who was hospitalized early in her illness. JMO

Hi SStar. When I read your response, for some reason I heard my dear mother saying "if they told you to jump of a roof, would you?" :giggle:

That is so funny! I heard my mama's voice say that too (in my head)! Thanks for the comic relief! I'm still giggling and wish I had a dollar for every time I tried using that analogy with my parents! But MOM......!!!!

Oh dear. I had to go shopping today, and I took wipes and wiped everything down before I would touch it. This is scary. :(

I went to my doctor's office to pick up a prescription today. I asked the 2 check-in/receptionists if they were worried about Ebola. They both replied emphatically, "YES!". They have screening questions they are to ask every patient that checks in pertaining to travel, being around/exposed to ebola, etc. They also told me they are surprised how most of the people they check in think they are silly for asking them those questions. Both told me that the majority of people aren't concerned or worried about ebola which shocked them. I hope people start taking it more serious as it could show up anywhere in the US tomorrow. I also noticed face masks, hand sanitizer and kleenex placed in an area where you first come in the doors. You then have to go to another set of doors to reach the receptionists.

btw...I work with elementary age children. One girl told me that here sister had a virus. She then asked me if this meant here sister was going to die. Another boy wrote that his goal when he grew up was to find a cure for ebola. The children are watching the tv and hearing about ebola.

On the subject of how advanced or not Amber's illness was, even though those suits are really bulky and ungainly, the way she was walking getting on and off the 'plane just made me think that she already looked quite poorly. But then I think weakness and severe pain can come on quite early, so maybe she looked quite 'normal' for early stages.

I have just read the post up thread which says CNN are saying Amber had been ill for three days. I really hope they would not make something like that up. If true, it would explain the desperate scrambling to find people from the bridal store and 'plane.

What a mess.

I am very keen to know exactly what went wrong at the hospital and get to the truth of the matter. I never thought the CDC PPE recommendations were right - could not understand why they weren't recommending a coverall hood.

I read one link on here which almost seemed to suggest that when Thomas D had been admitted the second time, although he was put in isolation, people did not wear PPE when dealing with him until his diagnosis of Ebola came through. I really, really hope I misread that, because if true then I think it was criminally negligent of the hospital authorities to allow that. Surely, you operate on the assumption that your patient has got Ebola until a negative test result allows you to 'stand down' the barrier nursing?

Mind you, even when they did wear PPE, since the CDC saw fit to dispense with the need for hoods it wasn't exactly great.

Honestly - what does the CDC think everyone is staggering about in the full PPE in Africa for? It certainly isn't for the fun of it - why would Ebola in Africa require that level of protection but Ebola in the US not? I just can't fathom what they could have been thinking of.

I have also read multiple accounts where it was stated that no PPE was worn prior to his official Ebola dx.

I cannot get past the seeming denial on the part of the hospital (Duncan's travel history was flagged after all, and then supposedly failing to have staff use PPE prior to dx), and now apparently Ms Vinson, who despite knowing she cared for Mr Duncan got on a PLANE. :banghead:

And if she were indeed showing symptoms when she left, well... So much the worse. Poor, poor judgement. I'm wondering if she told the CDC phone person everything - or just mentioned her temp had risen slightly or something. :sigh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2014/10/16/la-county-health-workers-to-discuss-ebola-protocols/
LA County Health Workers Call For Tougher Ebola Protocols
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com/AP) — County health officials and health care providers Thursday called on the federal government to step up protection protocols in response to the Ebola crisis.
KNX 1070’s Megan Goldsby reports under current federal requirements, hospital workers are only required to wear waterproof gowns and masks when treating someone with the deadly virus.

Authorities say there are enough head-to-toe hazmat suits for L.A. County health workers should they choose to go beyond current U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommendations.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...bola-nurse-amber-vinsons-first-flight-n227691

CDC Tracking Fliers On Ebola Nurse Amber Vinson's First Flight

snipped
The date that an Ebola patient starts showing symptoms is crucial because it is thought they can't spread the disease before then. In Vinson's case, creating a timeline is complicated because she did not have the classic symptoms of the virus — headache, sore throat, muscle and joint pain, and a spiking fever — even when she was diagnosed upon her return to Dallas. "If she had some comments that she was feeling funny, does that count [as a symptom]?" Braden asked.

BBM

Oh God bless Nina. She is walking on her own to the steps of the plane. Good luck sweetheart.

Did you see how well Nina walked? Her pace was pretty good! Not fabulous, but better than poor Amber...

That is so funny! I heard my mama's voice say that too (in my head)! Thanks for the comic relief! I'm still giggling and wish I had a dollar for every time I tried using that analogy with my parents! But MOM......!!!!

Thanks Gypsy Road. Sometimes we just need a chuckle to relieve the pressure. I can't speak for Amber (who I continue to pray for healing and strength along with Nina), but as for me, as an RN, I couldn't put other people at possible risk by traveling via mass transit. If I had been asked to self monitor, I wouldn't even want to put my husband at risk (it's just the two of us here since the kids are grown). I would be taking a mini vacation in my room. :Banane23:

Oh God bless Nina. She is walking on her own to the steps of the plane. Good luck sweetheart.

Nina looks good!!

So glad to hear that. I hope both continue to do well. Both nurses are so, so young. And poor judgement or not on the part of Ms Vinson, she stepped up to care for Mr Duncan knowing he had Ebola. I could not have done it. That makes them both exceptional young women in my eyes.

Does the military know more about Amber's condition and how contagious she was than the general public?

Probably more cautious, for VERY good reason. JMO

Does the military know more about Amber's condition and how contagious she was than the general public?

I doubt it. They are probably being cautious, and good thing. Hopefully all who were on the flights are tracked down and similarly quarantined!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members