Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Harmony 2, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harmony 2

Harmony 2 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Good morning [​IMG]

Please continue discussion here...

2. Loading...

3. Harmony 2

Continue discussion here...

1) Blogs must be approved before posting.

2) Please read your post before hitting reply. If your post is personal to someone else, don't post it.

3) Posts about the political aspects need to be taken to the designated area on the forum. This is the link for political posts about ebola: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?252135-Contagious-Diseases

4) Post responsibly by linking to information.

5) Keep information relevant to the disease and steer away from bashing victims, conspiracy theories and race.

The guidelines above have been posted several times; therefore, any infractions will result in time-outs.

4. Harmony 2

Mod note: Please include links for uploaded thumbnails and all photos. Photos without the source linked will be removed.

5. kimi_SFC

kimi_SFC Active Member

:tyou: Harmony2 and Good morning to you and my fellow WSers!

:gathering:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. atthelake

atthelake Former Member

7. SCHMAE

SCHMAE Well-Known Member

I guess the point is it cannot ( will not ) be stopped from coming here. It's going to pop up here and there and the best bet is preparedness and knowledge for each of us. Keep your own immune systems strong and be aware . Otherwise live your life. One thing that would be worse than dying from ebola would be dying from ebola AFTER being cooped up in your house and terrified to even live your final days because of fear of catching it.

8. trigger

trigger Active Member

9. nrdsb4

nrdsb4 Active Member

BBM
    On that note, I guess I better quit putting off my planned 1 hour bike ride and get going.

10. RJA00

RJA00 Bring HaLeigh Home !!!

for folks like my dad, who had a heart transplant in 94, have low immune. people need to stay quarantined for 21 days.

11. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

Seems like they said Duncan had a 103 before correcting it to 100.3 too. Does anyone remember that?

12. SCHMAE

SCHMAE Well-Known Member

Yea !

FOX 4 News
    2 mins ·
    ‪#‎BREAKING‬: Doctors say Nina Pham is Ebola free... she will be released from the hospital later today.

13. SCHMAE

SCHMAE Well-Known Member

I certainly do not mean people who have been in contact or even near the areas in question. But I'm saying for the general public to huddle up in their homes afraid to go out is pointless. At this point, at least. If it becomes very , very widespread, then certainly everyone will have to factor in their own risk and make decisions based on that. But I've got friends already who are many states away from Tx and now Ny who are afraid to go out and afraid to touch currency, etc.

14. Lyra500

Lyra500 New Member

Hand washing! Seriously. That will cut down on your chances of picking up flu and other viral illness too, costs nothing and is a really, really simple step that everyone can follow. Make sure you teach your children to wash their hands properly too.

For nail biters anfd thumb suckers - now is as good a time as any to kick that habit for good. Might be worth investing in some of that foul tasting stuff to paint on your nails until you have got over the habit and know you wont do it absent mindedly.

Basically, unless you pick up a quantity of virus on your hands and transfer it to your mouth/nose/eyes you are not likely to contract ebola.

So two steps:
    1. Avoid touching your face with your hands unless you have just washed them
    2. Wash your hands frequently, especially when out and about.

It is highly unlikely that you will pick up Ebola when you are out and about (influenza and common cold are far more likely), but hand washing is simple and will provide additional assurance.

I believe alcoholic hand rub is also supposed to be effective.

15. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

No, Duncan actually did have a 103 degrees fever during his first visit to the ER.

16. faw720

faw720 Active Member

The news is now reporting that his temperature was 100.3 http://news.yahoo.com/1st-ebola-case-nyc-3others-quarantined-060226282.html

As for the doctor getting out & about...........upon arrival he had no symptoms. Sure, he may have felt a little blah but I'm sure he had been working grueling hours in primitive conditions in West Africa. Add to that jet lag after a long flight & possible hassels involved with a connecting flight. Why on earth would he be feeling on top of the world?

17. Lyra500

Lyra500 New Member

Wonderful news.

18. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

He was in direct contact with Ebola patients. I believe if he was working here in US and had direct contact with an Ebola patient, under new rules, he'd have to avoid travel using public transportation. Remember the person on the cruise? The whole cruise had to return because she was on it.
    But yet because he worked in Africa he was not subjected to the same rules. That makes no sense to me.

19. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

I know he spiked to 103, but I thought they first came out and said he presented with 103 and then changed it to 100.3. I would look it up, but my custom date search in google is not showing up anymore.

20. Isabelle

Isabelle Verified registered nurse

I think the first time he went to the ER it may have been 100.3 on arrival. I remember reading that at sometime during that visit it was up to 103 and that vital sign was highlighted in the electronic record with a red exclamation point. (It really is helpful that electronic records highlight vital signs that are out of norm)

21. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

No, I am talking about right after we heard about Duncan. The medical record info came out much later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.