Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Harmony 2, Oct 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annahanna

annahanna New Member

Effective October 22, 2014, it has not been (legally) possible to enter the US through any other airport if your passport has a stamp from Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea within the past 21 days. Trying to circumvent Customs, Border Patrol, and Immigration would not seem advisable.

It is likely that a health care worker flying into Austin, TX was routed through one of the 5 approved airports before flying on to Austin. She would have been quietly screened and, if asymptomatic, allowed to complete her journey. She would then be subject to whatever arrangements were made between the arrival state and Texas.

http://www.dhs.gov/news/2014/10/21/...-restrictions-and-protective-measures-prevent
    Today, I am announcing that all passengers arriving in the United States whose travel originates in Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea will be required to fly into one of the five airports that have the enhanced screening and additional resources in place. We are working closely with the airlines to implement these restrictions with minimal travel disruption. If not already handled by the airlines, the few impacted travelers should contact the airlines for rebooking, as needed.

We currently have in place measures to identify and screen anyone at all land, sea and air ports of entry into the United States who we have reason to believe has been present in Liberia, Sierra Leone or Guinea in the preceding 21 days

ETA
    http://www.statesman.com/news/news/nurse-quarantines-herself-after-return-from-work-w/nhtt2/
    Airport officials said they were not told that the nurse was on a flight to Austin and do not know when and from what connecting flight she arrived, said spokesman Jason Zielinski.
    Zielinski said that the Austin airport does not screen for Ebola because screening is already mandated at five international airports in the U.S. that receives flights from West Africa.

2. chipmunk

chipmunk Member

It's always a good idea to work with the organization(s) involved to solve problems before resorting to suing. She did seem to try and "no one was in charge or knew what they were doing."

3. doubt

doubt Former Member

she is not arrogant at all. she's highly educated and insulted. she's pissed off. she's morally indignant. and she's right.

this board continues to blow my mind. guess i'm back out for a while.

4. faw720

faw720 Active Member

Why didn't they throw her into a tent?

5. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

What was her temp?

6. SteveS

SteveS Attention: All my comments are IMO MOO AFAIK etc

She was smart enough not to fly thru the NJ portal, apparently. We may be able to infer she flew into Dulles.

7. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

From your article:

That seems like a WHOLE lot of documenting and a lot of patient zeros. This last outbreak was thought to be from a kid that touched a dead chimp (patient zero). How many other outbreaks have their been that they have actually DOCUMENTED transmission from all of those animals?

I have to wonder if they have found dead antelope, porcupines etc...that appear to have died from ebola vs. actually having "documented infections from "people" handling" infected antelope or porcupine in the wild. I did read they think a small percentage of antelope could be susceptible and die from Ebola.

8. SteveS

SteveS Attention: All my comments are IMO MOO AFAIK etc

Let's not pretend that temp really had anything to do with it in NJ. An imprecise device to measure external (not internal) temp offered the pretext, and even after they checked her temp with a reliable device and knew she didn't have one, they held her, tested her for ebola (twice), and even when she passed those tests they kept holding her anyhow. And we all know that she wouldn't have left for 21 days, if she hadn't raised the fuss she did. It clearly wasn't about the temp.

9. CARIIS

CARIIS Spelling Bee Winner - Kindergarden!

Hiv/Ebola

The media throws in a dash of HIV in now and then. Conjures up fear, keeps ratings roaring. IMO in one sense they are fair comparisons. Both are viruses. A car could be called an automobile

What the media has done from the beginning, is not discriminating about anything. Its all or nothing. That does not portray an accurate picture of what the situation really is.

Both (like all virus) need a ling host to survive and thrive. Thriving consists of replicating. Like us and doggies they have substance requirements. Food Water here. Warmth, blood, cells and RNA are the virus needs.

Like with HIV, in this instance media makes both random acts of contagion. They are not. HIV numbers are where they are for the same errors being made here, in the media 40 years later.

Its kind of like a solar eclipse, certain things must align in order for transmission to occur. In that matter direct contact with body fluids (makes sense – virus in blood). The facets ignored in both instances are what behaviors does one have to engage in for the eclipse to occur.

IMO, HIV numbers are because we are dealing with sex, a natural entity, years of misinformation (heterosexuals did not need to change their sexual behaviors), addiction (needles), transfusions. All make sense – blood. But sex is sex, and there was a “jet lag” in changing behaviors which allowed the HIV virus to expand. Moreover, it just makes sense that there would be more resistnace to change sexual behaviors, as oppossed to an individual covered in vomit .

Media plays this like virus' think. They are going to go after homosexuals. I am old enough to remember when it was called GRID (Gay Related Infectious Disease). Today, in light of the Ebola panic, thatch funny. A gay virus.Like a virus thinks this host is a homosexual lets rock and roll!

The media ignores huge variables, with Ebola, that determine if the eclipse will happen. First they make no correlations regarding medical capabilities. We are spending hundreds of thousands on treatment and over there they spend (linked earlier) $36 annually per person on health care. The glossing over that is just ironic in light of how capitalist we are.

They are debating the realities that for 4 decades it has been known direct lid contact is required, but they keep wanting to keep it rioting by the “what ifs”. Same happened with HIV. IT could go airborne, casual contact etc etc. Neither have in more than half of most our lives here in WS. So they endless focus on what if, is erroneous and a waster of time. A comet could hit soon.....

Health care workers, in any context are more likely to come into content with a strangers body fluids
    More frequently than say, a car mechanic. Its about behaviors – nothing else. Cleaning up after a messy pt and using a wrench are behaviors.

What they are failing to highlight, is in the case of Ebola, in places where it is possible, they have inc operated the reality that healthcare workers are highly likely to be in contact with the fluids. But they forget the use of PPE, which reduces the likelihood that the inevitable contact with body fluids drastically reduces that behavior from impacting a HCW.

Media also forgets that CDC, WHO and Doctors have been dealing with the virus for decades – and if you think about It- they have done it remarkably well. The CDC “rap” now, ignores the agencies successes with eradicating and learning a lot about virus.

IMO CDC woes in this instance are far more about funding, theocracy (Hurricane Sabrina) and politics. They had no clue Dallas was going to screw it up nor that the media was going to create hysteria, both of which forced CDC to have to deal – especially at election time- with the political BS.

It would be kinda like a kid have two parents, a teacher, and two siblings screaming at the child, all at the same time, loudly. To do this or this. Chaos always results in problems bigger than the first issue..
    IMO
    O/T

Wolf comes in right after Qwest on my “where did they get him from list”?! Story on ISIS, he throws it to the reporter in the field with this gem” Well X what are hearing? I thought what a stupid question, the reporter is in the middle of war. I doubt a symphony is playing! Dont think he is gonna be bursting in on a pep rally. The reporter answers explosions – its war Wolf - that is what war is: booms and bangs and sparks! HIWW: How it works Wolf

PSS I bet we all remember when "breaking news" was something like Dennedy being shot, Russia with missles in CUba, and 911. I have not heard one thing on CNN that is not breaking news - which becomes even funnier in that the breaking news is repeated for days!

They are densentizing people. Would any of us pay attn anymore , to hearing in the background "breaking news" again there is no discrimating going on

10. Isabelle

Isabelle Verified registered nurse

C
    How soon will she be picked up and quarantined?

11. faw720

faw720 Active Member

Apparently she's on the honor system. Please refer to an article at http://www.wfaa.com

I'm not allowed to post the info here.

Frankly, I'm glad she made it home. Upthread there is a post that Austin airport authorities did not know that she was returning from West Africa.

I don't really relish living in a police state. Of course, I suppose if a majority rules otherwise, I'll just have to suck it up & live with it.

12. CARIIS

RE:semen infected with the virus can survive for days.

And that makes medical sense. RNA DNA determine everything about each human being. So it makes sense that semen has , in terms of concentration, a heck of a lot of RNA DNA in it. It all fits..........................

Steve the arrest thing was a riot, she could "get" loose while they are looking for PPE, figuring out how to wear them , and clearing jail cells ..................it will be interesting to see if they call in dog catchers to loop her on in. Maybe they moved her cage from NJ to Maine? But even that who would touch the cage!

All. So. Silly.!

13. winnnancy

winnnancy Member

There are a great number of " highly educated" people throughout the world.( Many much much more educated than the nurse) who don't behave with such an apparent sense of entitlement.

14. nrdsb4

nrdsb4 Well-Known Member

15. CARIIS

media remains hysterical
    media totally wrong about NY doctor, he was following (self moniotring) protocol at the time
    totally ignored that he ran for 3 miles - i get tired driving 3 miles! Cant imagine this "sick" person jogging 3 miles and having an abudance of energy to go bowl -
    Govt has taken to locking AMerican citizens up with no protocol
    THe quarantine 21 day deal makes no sense at all - if the contention is that people who have contact with Ebola infected indivuduals require quarantine, (but only if from Africa). . For some reason health workers here in America , who have had contact with Ebola pts do not need to be locked in a tent with no water heat. Iraq prsions offer more amenties!
    Noone that has not had contact has gotten sick
    Ebola virus has killed 4 people, on the enitire planet , outside Africa!

16. Lyra500

Lyra500 Active Member

A glimmer of hope from Liberia:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29822303

17. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

Dr Brantly is on Fox right now

18. i.b.nora

i.b.nora I am polka dot

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...sage-to-top-ebola-reseachers-don-t-come-.html

"Louisiana to Top Ebola Reseachers: Stay Away
    [/I]By John Lauerman Oct 29, 2014 3:00 PM PT[/I]

"Louisiana has a message for many of the scientists and medical experts studying Ebola and aiding efforts to fight the deadly virus in West Africa -- stay away.

The state sent a letter yesterday to members of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, which is holding its annual conference in New Orleans next week. If they’ve recently been to any of the West African countries where the virus has infected more than 13,000 people, they shouldn’t attend the meeting.

“We do hope that you will consider a future visit to New Orleans, when we can welcome you appropriately,” said Kathy Klieber, Louisiana’s Secretary of Health & Hospitals and Kevin Davis, director of the Office of Homeland Security & Emergency Preparedness, in the letter."​

More...

19. CARIIS

It was in use by a indiv who tested negative for the virus, had no symptons, and had the (yeh) energy to do interviews, get an attorney, and get herself out of prison (shes hardly sick - the last entity would be exhausted in and of stself)

20. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Well-Known Member

This is so unscientific, irrational, and unfortunate. Of all places we would WANT those who know Ebola, the Tropical Medicine Society conference would certainly be top of the list so that they can share insights and knowledge.

The hysteria is really getting out of hand. This is a real loss of knowledge sharing, here. :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.