Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is Dr Spencer's timeline: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...arantine-returning-Ebola-ravaged-country.html

Not that fond of the Daily Mail but it has a detailed timeline.

<snip> To focus on how he was feeling and when first had a fever.

Oct 17 arrived at JFK airport
Oct 21 around 7 Am he reported fatigue and exhaustion. No fever or other worrisome symptoms.
Oct 22 around 1 Pm went running. So he was feeling well enough to run.
Oct 23 around 10:15 Am first reported a fever. He reported the low grade fever though it was below what the CDC and
MSF recommend as the threshold to report.

Person &#8216;under surveillance&#8217; for Ebola in Kent County after returning from West Africa

RAND RAPIDS, Mich.- A person in Kent County is being monitored for Ebola after returning from West Africa, the Health Department announced Friday.

It&#8217;s a first for West Michigan and The Kent County Health Department says this person is at a very low risk.

They are not in quarantine but are currently being monitored twice a day by the health department.

&#8220;That individual&#8217;s temperature is great, their health is great,&#8221; Adam London, director of the Kent County Health Department, said.

http://fox17online.com/2014/10/24/p...kent-county-after-returning-from-west-africa/

2 people in Marrero being monitored for Ebola, officials say

The two people recently returned from Sierra Leone, an area that has experienced the Ebola outbreak.

The monitoring began today, Roberts said.

The situation comes on the heels of a New Orleans-area man who is being monitored for the virus.

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news...or-ebola-officials-say/29319510#ixzz3H8yxZqD1

Man from New Orleans area being monitored for Ebola, DHH says

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news...or-ebola-officials-say/29319510#ixzz3H8ygVTgy

NJ HC worker now being quarantined and Finally talk about mandatory 21 day isolation upon return: http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/24/health/new-york-ebola-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The US is considering mandatory quarantines for those returning from ebola affected nations.
The move is an attempt to give clarity to a public concerned about travelers returning from the region and is not because officials fear there is a risk of transmission from people who are not exhibiting Ebola-like symptoms, the official said.

I don't care what their rationale is, it's the right thing to do.

A agree there is a concern since this study shows nearly half of the asymptomatic patients would be contagious given the findings of the research. Even though the virus may be a different strain, fulminating hemorrhagic fever in Gabon, it does seem odd the CDC and most of the international medical relief orgs aren't taking this data more seriously.

"11 of 24 asymptomatic individuals developed both IgM and IgG responses to Ebola antigens, indicating viral infection. Western-blot analysis showed that IgG responses were directed to nucleoprotein and viral protein of 40 kDa. The glycoprotein and viral protein of 24 kDa genes showed no nucleotide differences between symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals. Asymptomatic individuals had a strong inflammatory response characterised by high circulating concentrations of cytokines and chemokines."

Let's see if we can find more recent studies and on the current outbreak virus. It could be guidelines are based on observations of the current virus's progression in patients by epidemiologists and virologists since this strain is new?

2 people in Marrero being monitored for Ebola, officials say

The two people recently returned from Sierra Leone, an area that has experienced the Ebola outbreak.

The monitoring began today, Roberts said.

The situation comes on the heels of a New Orleans-area man who is being monitored for the virus.

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news...or-ebola-officials-say/29319510#ixzz3H8yxZqD1

Man from New Orleans area being monitored for Ebola, DHH says

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news...or-ebola-officials-say/29319510#ixzz3H8ygVTgy

The CDC is now doing 21 day monitoring of all people arriving from Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea. So is the media going to report that someone is being monitored every time someone travels from those countries? That's like 150 times a week.

The Chicago Tribune is usually pretty good but the author writes incorrectly that the doctor returning from Guinea to New York "came back infected." It's a poor choice of words since it implies he was sick and contagious went be arrived. Medically, he is only considered to have the ebola virus, eg, be infected when symptoms, especially a fever occur.

I know that they say that a person with ebola isn't infectious until there are symptoms -- i.e., they can't pass the virus to someone else. (Although I have my doubts about whether that's true, but that's what they say.)

But I would have thought that if the doc came back from Guinea with the virus in him, that he would be considered "infected" even before symptoms appeared.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that this doc picked up the ebola virus there, then came here. If that's not medically considered to be "infected," what would it be? In the sentence, "a doctor who treated patients in Guinea came back infected," what would be the correct word to use?

I know that they say that a person with ebola isn't infectious until there are symptoms -- i.e., they can't pass the virus to someone else. (Although I have my doubts about whether that's true, but that's what they say.)

But I would have thought that if the doc came back from Guinea with the virus in him, that he would be considered "infected" even before symptoms appeared.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that this doc picked up the ebola virus there, then came here. If that's not medically considered to be "infected," what would it be? In the sentence, "a doctor who treated patients in Guinea came back infected," what would be the correct word to use?

bbm That's infected to me, I don't need a Dr to tell me that.

Dr. Howard Zucker, acting New York state health commissioner, said any medical personnel who have treated Ebola patients in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia will be automatically isolated for 21 days, the maximum incubation period for the virus, either at their homes or a medical facility.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-quarantined-in-new-jersey-for-ebola-exposure-develops-fever/

bbm So just medical personnel, not the people that are infecting them, they won't be quarantined.

bbm?

Husband let me know today that body fluids are still infectious after blood tests negative for ebola. So I found a source: "People remain infectious as long as their blood and body fluids, including semen and breast milk, contain the virus. Men who have recovered from the disease can still transmit the virus through their semen for up to 7 weeks after recovery from illness." http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

Flight ban yet????

Political & sociological ideologies need to be taken out of this Ebola pandemic & we need aggressively strong measures put in place by strong leadership.

Now!

Thanks in advance.

I am playing catch up for the past couple of days- these are the highlights of what I have scanned, please let me know if I missed any other new development.

Nina is released :)
puppy tested negative for ebola :)
2yr old in Mali has ebola, she has died :(
ny doctor has ebola- he crisscrossed town >:l
police threw their gloves in public trash
hazmat teams carry items from his apartment with no gloves or protective gear
bowling alley he visited has closed
restaurant he visited has closed
nj doctors without borders volunteer returning from ? Got off plane in Newark and has a fever

Anything else?

Amber Vinson has tested negative for the virus , too. She's not released yet, but should be soon :)

bbm That's infected to me, I don't need a Dr to tell me that.

<snipped for brevity>

So just medical personnel, not the people that are infecting them, they won't be quarantined?

The people that infected them will either be recovered or dead, since a person is only contagious once symptoms start to show. Given that these medical personnel are most likely to have picked up the infection whilst tending to people in the treatment centres, I am not sure I understand why any of those people would be undertaking international air travel or requiring quarantine.

:tantrum:

The people that infected them will either be recovered or dead, since a person is only contagious once symptoms start to show. Given that these medical personnel are most likely to have picked up the infection whilst tending to people in the treatment centres, I am not sure I understand why any of those people would be undertaking international air travel or requiring quarantine.

I am talking about the citizens of the country, just like Duncan. He was just helping someone before he boarded a plane and arrived here, state side. Those people will be allowed to enter and bypass screening or quarantine, just have to pass a temp check. It's not going to work. jmo

I agree that one can be infected before one is contagious.

So just medical personnel, not the people that are infecting them, they won't be quarantined?

The people that are infecting HCW's in Africa are
(a) in Africa
(b) already symptomatic
(c) presumably in treatment, since they are patients of the medical workers
(d) as such, would not be flying to the US, but would be sick, trying to recover, or dead in Africa
(e) even under other circumstances, would not be likely to travel to the US, since they are probably African and not American
(f) so, not being in the US, there's no decision to be made about what to do with them here
(g) if we ignore all of the above, the idea that a person with symptoms (high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding, etc) is going to be allowed to fly out and enter the US freely is silly

The people that are infecting HCW's in Africa are
(a) in Africa
(b) already symptomatic
(c) presumably in treatment, since they are patients of the medical workers
(d) as such, would not be flying to the US, but would be sick, trying to recover, or dead in Africa
(e) even under other circumstances, would not be likely to travel to the US, since they are probably African and not American
(f) so, not being in the US, there's no decision to be made about what to do with them here
(g) if we ignore all of the above, the idea that a person with symptoms (high fever, vomiting, diarrhea, bleeding, etc) is going to be allowed to fly out and enter the US freely is silly

Oh Sorry, I thought that they were only checking temp of people from the effected countries that were entering here. I didn't realize that they are not allowed to travel at all. Good deal to that.

So correct me if I am wrong, I am assuming that people like Duncan are still coming into the country just like he did, other then they will get a temp check upon arrival here, state side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling