Ebola outbreak - general thread #9

What they are saying
"there could be as many as 170,000 cases and 90,000 deaths by Dec. 15"

Fear-mongering at its finest. Great work. Trying to negate the facts emerging, that the numbers have been going down not up, with a purely speculative "statement" asserting over-the-top calamity "could" happen. Oh, and the bottom line of the message: we need an infusion of more money to combat this wave of doom ahead. Predictable.

I agree that "170,000 cases and 90,000 deaths by Dec. 15" sounds greatly out of proportion to the facts as we are aware of them. On the other hand, I feel highly skeptical of any suggestion that "the numbers have been going down not up." (Except in Nigeria. I have a new-found respect for Nigeria.) I'm aware of the big readjustment on the latest WHO numbers. I'm not sure that that says much, except to speak to the chaos in the medical world in Liberia.

Here's an analogy. I noticed long ago, that when I was looking at reports about major disasters, such as earthquakes, there would often be a large area, in the general center of the presumed disaster region, that had no reports of serious injuries or damage. I noticed long ago that that was not a good sign. It was a sign that things had been so thoroughly smashed that no information was being gathered and transmitted out.

So, we'll see.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

Oct. 31, 2014 Sana Syed – Public Information Officer
(214) 846-0519

Mayor Rawlings to celebrate Nina Pham and Bentley reunion
What: Mayor Mike Rawlings and Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins will join City officials Saturday to celebrate the reunion of Nina Pham and Bentley. The dog has completed the 21-day monitoring period and does not have the Ebola virus. Bentley’s owner, Nina Pham was cured of the virus by doctors at the National Institute of Health in Bethesda, MD. She will be seeing Bentley for the first time since he was placed in isolation and will be taking him home.
When: 9 a.m. Saturday Nov. 1
Where: Hensley Field, 8200 W. Jefferson Blvd., Grand Prairie
Who: - Mayor Mike Rawlings

- Judge Clay Jenkins

- Nina Pham

- Dr. Wesley Bissett, Texas A&M Veterinarian

- Jody Jones, Dallas Animal Services

Note:
For the past 21 days, Bentley’s home has been Hensley Field, the former Naval Air Station on Mountain Creek Lake in southwest Dallas. His care was managed by Dallas Animal Services (DAS) in partnership with the Texas Animal Health Commission, Texas A&M University and the College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, the Texas Department of State Health Services, the American Veterinary Medical Association and the Centers for Disease Control.

ClickOnDetroit.com National Breaking News

==============================
National Breaking News
==============================

Report: Maine asks court to isolate nurse who defied quarantine

Maine health officials have asked a court to limit the movements of Kaci Hickox, a nurse who defied an Ebola quarantine, according to The Associated Press.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-31-10-11-57

Please, someone read this link & let me have your interpretation. I think I may be hallucinating. The way I read it the judge rejected the state's request to restrict Kaci's movements & that the trooper car outside her house had gone away. Can that possibly be???????

WPIX 11 New York is also reporting that the judge rejected the state's request to impose ebola quarantine.

Please, someone read this link & let me have your interpretation. I think I may be hallucinating. The way I read it the judge rejected the state's request to restrict Kaci's movements & that the trooper car outside her house had gone away. Can that possibly be???????

That is certainly how it reads - and Associated Press is usually reliable isn't it?

FORT KENT, Maine (AP) -- Kaci Hickox is free to travel unrestricted after a Maine judge on Friday rejected the state's bid to limit her movements as a medical worker who has treated Ebola patients.

Judge Charles C. LaVerdiere ruled Hickox must continue daily monitoring and coordinate travel with state health officials to ensure continuity of monitoring. The judge said there's no need to restrict her movements because she's not infectious because she's showing no symptoms.

With the judge's ruling, a state police cruiser parked outside her home drove away

The judge in Maine gave her a gentle rebuke in his ruling.

“The court is fully aware that people are acting out of fear and that this fear is not entirely rational,” he wrote. “However, whether that fear is rational or not, it is present and it is real.

“Respondent’s actions at this point, as a health care professional, need to demonstrate her full understanding of human nature and the real fear that exist. She should guide herself accordingly.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...ts-ebola-quarantine-nurse-kaci-hickox-n238326

The judge in Maine gave her a gentle rebuke in his ruling.

“The court is fully aware that people are acting out of fear and that this fear is not entirely rational,” he wrote. “However, whether that fear is rational or not, it is present and it is real.

“Respondent’s actions at this point, as a health care professional, need to demonstrate her full understanding of human nature and the real fear that exist. She should guide herself accordingly.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...ts-ebola-quarantine-nurse-kaci-hickox-n238326

The judge also had this to say:

The judge thanked Hickox for her service in Africa and acknowledged the gravity of restricting someone's constitutional rights without solid science to back it up.

"The court is fully aware of the misconceptions, misinformation, bad science and bad information being spread from shore to shore in our country with respect to Ebola," he wrote. "The court is fully aware that people are acting out of fear and that this fear is not entirely rational."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-31-10-11-57

So....this morning's court documents revealed that the room mate of the nurse in Maine HAD ebola according to cable news? Is there a print media link for this that I have missed?

TIA

Well, here's a TV station link, with printed information. The good news is that the roommate evidently developed ebola more than 21 days ago. The bad news, in a general way, is that the roommate evidently has no idea how she caught it.

http://wagmtv.com/state-of-maine-document-reports-kaci-hickoxs-roommate-in-africa-developed-ebola/

Well, here's a TV station link, with printed information. The good news is that the roommate evidently developed ebola more than 21 days ago. The bad news, in a general way, is that the roommate evidently has no idea how she caught it.

http://wagmtv.com/state-of-maine-document-reports-kaci-hickoxs-roommate-in-africa-developed-ebola/
Thanks for that link. I'm confused though. The information in that link talks about a 'temporary' court order and it requires Kaci to avoid public transportion, etc. I read another link somewhere that said the court determine should must self monitor but is free to go anywhere she likes. Which is correct?

Thanks. Hopefully she will take his rebuke to heart.

So is she returning to work then? Where does she work by the way? For a hospital or I've also read for the CDC?

If your elderly mom was in the hospital and tomorrow morning she walked into her room (to be her nurse), what would your reaction be? Be honest!

Is 'displaying signs of Ebola' the same as having Ebola?

The reporting on the roommate leaves something to be desired.

Sheila Pinette of the Maine CDC has released information that the roommate of Kaci Hickox, while in West Africa has displayed signs of ebola. Pinette says “The respondents roommate in Africa became infected without knowing how she became infected with Ebola. (Any potential risk to respondent from that incident has passed).”

That is certainly how it reads - and Associated Press is usually reliable isn't it?

I "think" so.

It's just that the ruling shocked me even though IMO, it makes perfect sense legally. I guess I thought that officials up there were all "in bed together". What's next, appeals court???????

Please tone it down in here, the atmosphere or pervading mood is leaning toward being personal and snarky.

Please tone it down in here, the atmosphere or pervading mood is leaning toward being personal and snarky.

I guess I'm guilty. Sorry! When I am totally stunned I tend to get sarcastic. I'll try very hard to control myself.

I wish someone would ask her this question:

"Assuming that you are correct and you do not personally present a public health hazard (because the science is settled on ebola, of course), what effect to you anticipate that your example will have when a REAL highly contagious virus comes along?"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back