Ecuador - August Reiger, 18, US student, Banos, 16 June 2013

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by fabvab, Jun 19, 2013.

1. fabvab

fabvab Well-Known Member

2. Loading...

3. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

4. lucky181

lucky181 New Member

How strange. They were hiking on a mountain. I wonder how far ahead of the rest of the family he was and what the terrain is like.

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Lengthy story at Daily Oklahoman:

Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
    the rest at the link

6. fabvab

fabvab Well-Known Member

This is really strange and sad. He is a good student, has a girlfriend and a scholarship to OU this fall. It is like he just vanished! I'd love to see pics of the area where they are hiking. The reports say he could have fallen off a steep ledge, been kidnapped or run off.

I pray they find him soon!

7. lucky181

lucky181 New Member

8. SeaEclipse

SeaEclipse New Member

An 18 year old male would be a very strange target + 1/2 way up a relatively highly traffic mountain pass in a touristy area would be a strange location for a for-ransom kidnapping. I think, unfortunately, that he almost certainly fell. He either could have intentionally wandered off the main path to explore (not unusual behavior for most teens) or could have gotten confused/dizzy from the altitude.

9. necco

necco New Member

It's really not that unusual in many Central/South American countries that have a kidnapping problem to kidnap grown men.

That being said, and please do not take this as anything against August, the pictures I've seen of him are quite androgynous, long hair, slight build, etc. He's a good looking kid. However, to someone from another culture, it might be less obvious that he's a man, particularly if you were doing recon from a distance looking for someone to kidnap.

10. fabvab

fabvab Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link. Yes, I could see where it might be difficult to find him if he fell from a cliff. I'm torn between August falling and kidnapping. I don't like the odds of either.

11. fabvab

fabvab Well-Known Member

It made the national news. There are a lot of people looking for him. I wonder how many other people were on the trail.

snipped from link below...

"I thought he must have gone on. You couldn't get lost. There's only two trails. You can see the whole town... all you have to do is go down," said the father over a phone interview with KWTV from his Ecuadorian hotel room.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57590032-504083/august-reiger-missing-okla-high-school-valedictorian-vanishes-in-south-america-report-says/

12. lucky181

lucky181 New Member

Here is a local article. Per Chrome translation:

They also mention dogs being used to search. They were hiking La Cruz which leads to a cross on a building at the top. According to websites and videos, it seems like a popular hike, but I don't know how fast an 11 year old (or anyone else) can go at that elevation.

http://www.ecuadorinmediato.com/ind...a_bfasqueda_de_turista_desaparecido_en_baf1os

A video showing the overall path from the town

Hike to La Cruz - YouTube

13. SeaEclipse

SeaEclipse New Member

But the men targeted are typically businessmen (or those that appear to be such). It just seems weird to kidnap a sport-ily attired 18 year old male as it seems to hit the double-whammy of "difficult to do -- especially without anyone noticing" and "total crapshoot whether his family has any money." Also, kidnappers call in ransom demands way more quickly than 4 days later...

14. Auburn

Auburn New Member

Bumping for August

15. fabvab

fabvab Well-Known Member

16. lucky181

lucky181 New Member

http://www.news9.com/story/22638726/foreign-authorities-assume-kidnapping-of-okc-valedictorian

Google translation:
    http://www.cotopaxinoticias.com/seccion.aspx?sid=17&nid=12407

17. missgulfsouth

missgulfsouth Inactive

My gut instinct is that he doesn't want to be found. I'll keep up with this thread and see what happens.

18. Elainera

Elainera Well-Known Member

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/20/world/americas/ecuador-missing-teen/index.html

I'm surprised the search dogs couldn't locate any scent at all?

19. dillysmom11

dillysmom11 New Member

My 18 year old daughter thinks he ran off, I think I concur. This young man has a lot on his plate, and Ecuador is incredible.

20. dillysmom11

dillysmom11 New Member

http://www.news9.com/story/22627340/okc-valedictorian-vanishes-in-south-america

He is fluent in Spanish and chose to travel to Ecuador for his graduation gift, planned? I hope so.

21. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

If he disappeared voluntarily - which I hope is the case - why would he choose to do so when his family was, as his father said, "five or 10 minutes" behind him - and thus could almost immediately begin a search? There must have been many, better, chances to slip away.