Ed Sheeran sued for Copyright Infringement for his song "Photograph"

Discussion in 'Celebrity and Entertainment News' started by drjones, Jun 9, 2016.

1. drjones

drjones New Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...-by-two-songwriters-over-his-track-photograph

"Martin Harrington and American Thomas Leonard claim it has a similar structure to their song, Amazing.
    In documents, that include musical note comparison and chord breakdowns of the two songs, the pair claim the chorus of Photograph shares 39 identical notes with their track."

I don't believe intent matters, and the segments are remarkably alike (if not identical).

2. Loading...

3. drjones

drjones New Member

[video=youtube;fKAvfGvJWGA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKAvfGvJWGA[/video]

4. Renee110

Renee110 New Member

They are sort of similar, but I really don't think Ed ripped him off. There are also many differences. I mean... someone is bound to have a similar chord progression etc... the lyrics are nothing similar. Ed has been writing his own lyrics and music for years. Someone saw an opportunity imo.....

5. drjones

drjones New Member

you cant really sue over chord progression, well i guess theoretically you could but its unlikely. this suit is very likely to succeed if ed or one of the snow patrol guys that he worked with admit to being familiar with cardle's song, which is pretty likely.

the two chorus' are remarkably alike if not identical for almost their entirety. regarding melody, intervals... not lyrics