Elderly couple in Spartanburg, SC found dead from heatstroke after their home heater reaches 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit

ifindedout

Reaction score
Two elderly people in South Carolina were found dead in a bedroom during a wellness check last week, with police saying that the home's heater had reached 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit – so hot the victims' bodies had exceeded 106 degrees.

In a police report obtained by CBS News, an officer said that he went to their residence on Jan. 6 to conduct a wellness check after their family had not heard from them in three days. Officers had to enter the home through the bedroom window, at which point the pair – 84-year-old Joan Littlejohn and 82-year-old Glennwood Fowler – were found dead in their bed. There were no signs of a struggle or foul play.

[...]

Upon speaking to the victims' family, the responding officer learned that hot water heater and heater "both were out and the residence was getting too cold" the last day the family saw the pair. The family ended up "fiddling" with the hot water heater, and family members left the home.

Woke up a bit ago hot, turned fan on and heard hubby up. He’s checking thermostat and says he can’t read it, no display.
I popped the face off and he said the batteries are old. Found two new ones, the whole time the furnace is running. Gets the batteries in snaps back on and the temperature is 85 we keep it on 73.

Just made me think of this case.

"Upon speaking to the victims' family, the responding officer learned that hot water heater and heater "both were out and the residence was getting too cold" the last day the family saw the pair. The family ended up "fiddling" with the hot water heater, and family members left the home. "

Wtf did they do?
Even if they deactivated, bypassed or removed thermostats and cut-off devices, how would a heater and a hot water heater even be capable of reaching that temperature?
Domestic ovens tap out at about half that.

I wish it said what the power/fuel source was.

Wtf did they do?
Even if they deactivated, bypassed or removed thermostats and cut-off devices, how would a heater and a hot water heater even be capable of reaching that temperature?
Domestic ovens tap out at about half that.

I wish it said what the power/fuel source was.
Gas.
Littlejohn and Fowler's family members revealed that they had visited the couple a few days earlier to help the elderly couple with heating issues.

They reported 'fiddling' with the heater because both the gas heater and gas hot water heater were out and the home was getting 'too cold,' according to the report.

Family members 'fiddled' with the heater until the pilot light, which was reportedly off, flashed back on - and then they left.

The elderly couple were said to be immobile and had both recently suffered health problems.

The local Fox station gets a little more specific, reporting that the relatives were fiddling with the wiring:
According to the report, family members said the home had not been heating properly and they “fiddled” with the wiring near the pilot light in the days before the incident.

“If there was a malfunction in the heater itself and they quote messed with it, then you could have bypassed a safety feature or caused the situation to get worse. It could have produced carbon monoxide, it could have caused it to overheat like that,” [Assistant Fire Chief Brad] Hall said.

I think people often try to do their own electric "work," because hiring someone who is licensed is so expensive, and it can be very difficult to find someone. It's scary to read what the result can be.
1000 degrees? How does that not lead to a fire or explosion? So glad it didn't, though.

I send my sincere condolences to this family.

I’m also confused! How would a hot water heater have an impact?

I think they had what is called a boiler and radiator in the UK, I don't know what they are called in the US and I've never even seen one in Australia
Anyway I think they are like steam powered heating systems, where you have a central water tank in a basement for example that boils water and the steam goes up pipes into radiators in each room.

Looks pretty safe and efficient if maintained properly

I think people often try to do their own electric "work," because hiring someone who is licensed is so expensive, and it can be very difficult to find someone. It's scary to read what the result can be.
1000 degrees? How does that not lead to a fire or explosion? So glad it didn't, though.
SBM
1000 F is within 100 degrees of initiating flashover, I was astonished the whole house didn't spontaneously combust.

The 1000°F or 538°C is ridiculous..
That temperature would melt some metals, let alone plastics, wood and furnishings in the house. Surely something would have been set alight. Or the house would have collapsed, where everything melted.

I think maybe the 1000°F/538°C is over-estimated. Because it just can't be correct.

The 1000°F or 538°C is ridiculous..
That temperature would melt some metals, let alone plastics, wood and furnishings in the house. Surely something would have been set alight. Or the house would have collapsed, where everything melted.

I think maybe the 1000°F/538°C is over-estimated. Because it just can't be correct.
remember:
1712020547491.png

Fahrenheit 451​

1712020547512.png
Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Fahrenheit_451

Fahrenheit 451 is a 1953 dystopian novel by American writer Ray Bradbury. It presents a future American society where books have been outlawed and "firemen" ...

burns paper

I would think that number is incorrect, because the house would have been a raging fire at that heat. Flashpoint.

This explains it, but I still can't believe that the house didn't start burning at that temp.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back