Elderly Man Broke After Friendship With Garrido

Concord police detail role in breaking Jaycee Dugard case
By Robert Salonga
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 08/31/2009 03:06:31 PM PDT

"CONCORD — Lt. Jim Lardieri sat at his desk last week waiting to hear from two of his officers who were helping parole agents interrogate two girls and a woman who had accompanied a sex offender to a nearby parole office."

"Several detectives came by his desk, saying they also were on their way to the parole office. They had been told that the woman might have been kidnapped nearly two decades ago. Details were sketchy, they said.

Lardieri decided to log on to the Web site for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to see what he could find about missing children that fit into that time line.

He had just found the page for a girl named Jaycee Dugard, who was 11 on June 10, 1991, when she was kidnapped by a couple near her South Lake Tahoe neighborhood.

Suddenly his phone beeped. It was a message from his sergeant at the parole office.

"Hey, we got Jaycee Dugard here," Lardieri recalled him saying.

Dugard had resurfaced after 18 years."

"The story began Wednesday, when a Concord-based parole agent sought police assistance in questioning two girls and a woman. The three were with Phillip and Nancy Garrido when the sex offender showed up at the parole office. He had been ordered to appear after he and the girls had aroused suspicion at UC Berkeley.

At first, the girls and woman seemed reluctant to answer basic questions asked by the parole agent and Concord officers while the Garridos were in the room. So the officers separated them.

"They weren't suspected of anything. It just didn't sit right," Lardieri said. "The suspicion was so high that we couldn't just leave this as it is."

In a room by herself, Lardieri said, the woman now known to be Dugard quickly admitted to her real identity. Lardieri said he suspects that it was the first time she had come under serious interrogation and she succumbed to the pressure, implicating Phillip Garrido as her kidnapper."

I don't have the actual physical link to the article right now. But, the above is part of what it said. The most relevant part.

The article: http://www.mercurynews.com/jaycee-dugard/ci_13240607

Concord police detail role in breaking Jaycee Dugard case
By Robert Salonga
Contra Costa Times
Posted: 08/31/2009 03:06:31 PM PDT

"CONCORD — Lt. Jim Lardieri sat at his desk last week waiting to hear from two of his officers who were helping parole agents interrogate two girls and a woman who had accompanied a sex offender to a nearby parole office."

"Several detectives came by his desk, saying they also were on their way to the parole office. They had been told that the woman might have been kidnapped nearly two decades ago. Details were sketchy, they said.

Lardieri decided to log on to the Web site for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children to see what he could find about missing children that fit into that time line.

He had just found the page for a girl named Jaycee Dugard, who was 11 on June 10, 1991, when she was kidnapped by a couple near her South Lake Tahoe neighborhood.

Suddenly his phone beeped. It was a message from his sergeant at the parole office.

"Hey, we got Jaycee Dugard here," Lardieri recalled him saying.

Dugard had resurfaced after 18 years."

"The story began Wednesday, when a Concord-based parole agent sought police assistance in questioning two girls and a woman. The three were with Phillip and Nancy Garrido when the sex offender showed up at the parole office. He had been ordered to appear after he and the girls had aroused suspicion at UC Berkeley.

At first, the girls and woman seemed reluctant to answer basic questions asked by the parole agent and Concord officers while the Garridos were in the room. So the officers separated them.

"They weren't suspected of anything. It just didn't sit right," Lardieri said. "The suspicion was so high that we couldn't just leave this as it is."

In a room by herself, Lardieri said, the woman now known to be Dugard quickly admitted to her real identity. Lardieri said he suspects that it was the first time she had come under serious interrogation and she succumbed to the pressure, implicating Phillip Garrido as her kidnapper."

I don't have the actual physical link to the article right now. But, the above is part of what it said. The most relevant part.

jaycee admitted to it before this officer went to the parole office. so the people at th parole office had no idea who she was

jaycee admitted to it before this officer went to the parole office. so the people at th parole office had no idea who she was
Sorry, but your comment doesn't make a particle of sense to me.

Sorry, but your comment doesn't make a particle of sense to me.

really? the officer looking at the photos online was not at the parole officer's place. he was about to go there. then they called and said "i have jaycee dugard here". jaycee had already admitted to them who she was before the guy searching on line got there.
does that make more sense?

I think what klb means is that when they all showed up at the Parole Office the first time, no one, not the PO, the police, no one, knew they were going to end up talking to someone who had been missing for 18 years!

After they had talked to her alone for a little bit, somehow word spread among the office that she was a missing child, and THAT is when the guy in the article started researching old kidnapping cases from 20 years ago. IIRC, this whole scene took place within a matter of minutes, from the time they got JC alone in a room, til the other officer googled her and found out who she was.

JULIE

I think what klb means is that when they all showed up at the Parole Office the first time, no one, not the PO, the police, no one, knew they were going to end up talking to someone who had been missing for 18 years!

After they had talked to her alone for a little bit, somehow word spread among the office that she was a missing child, and THAT is when the guy in the article started researching old kidnapping cases from 20 years ago. IIRC, this whole scene took place within a matter of minutes, from the time they got JC alone in a room, til the other officer googled her and found out who she was.

JULIE

that was pretty much the gist of what i said yes.
i thought what i said was a fair summation.

They knew she wasn't who she said she was initially, that is why they were pressing the matter. Also, after they were all separated, PG admitted that she had been kidnapped and that the two girls were his. It isnt clear if this was before or after she said who she was. If it was before, they would have had a pretty good idea who she was by reviewing area files, but they needed her to say it and the interogation would have been pushing that without leading her.

They knew she wasn't who she said she was initially, that is why they were pressing the matter. Also, after they were all separated, PG admitted that she had been kidnapped and that the two girls were his. It isnt clear if this was before or after she said who she was. If it was before, they would have had a pretty good idea who she was by reviewing area files, but they needed her to say it and the interogation would have been pushing that without leading her.

i dont think that parole office could find its *advertiser censored* with both hands

Nowhere in the article does it state that Lt. Jim Lardieri was about to go to the parole office or that he ever did go to the parole office.
It was two of his officers that went there, and some other detectives, and word was seeping out a two decade old kidnapping.

A tough thing for Jaycee was that she hadn't told her daughters that she was their mother and I'm sure she didn't want them to hear it from the police. There's no telling what PG told the girls about LE. I imagine it wasn't that they protect and serve.

Or... for the first time in 18 years she felt safe enough to spill her story, knowing that he was in a separate room, and could be locked up, and the police would protect her. It didn't take long to verify her story. Elizabeth Smart did similarly. She wouldn't give her real name openly, but when someone recognized her, she did eventually give her real name...

The article posted on this thread says she was subjected to serious interrogation and succumbed to pressure.
So it doesn't sound to me like she was so eager to tell them who she was.

A tough thing for Jaycee was that she hadn't told her daughters that she was their mother and I'm sure she didn't want them to hear it from the police. There's no telling what PG told the girls about LE. I imagine it wasn't that they protect and serve.

from what i read it was jaycee who told them the truth though

JULIE
No, although kbl may be correct about Jaycee telling the PO first, I got the impression that after talking to the UCB officers about the strange females with the R.S.O., Sgt. Ladieri started looking at the NCMEC websites.

:nono: Well apparently they did, or the girls would be back in the backyard.

im sorry.
it took them 10 years to find there *advertiser censored* with both hands. and two cops at berkley :)

Back to the main topic of this thread . . . I think that there are so many unanswered questions about Delbert "Jack" Medeiros and his relationship to the Garridos. I do wonder if he ever WAS living with them. It is odd and of concern that there were forged checks. In other words, the Garridos had easy access to Medeiros' check book. Was this because he was living with them? I also wonder how much his ex-wife paid him for that house. Would that be in public records? I would think that real estate transactions would be public. The amount "stolen" from Medeiros by the Garridos may be much more than $25,000!
Also, I checked the National sex offender database, and Medeiros is not on it. (I am trying to figure out if there is more to this than meets the eye.)

Back to the main topic of this thread . . . I think that there are so many unanswered questions about Delbert "Jack" Medeiros and his relationship to the Garridos. I do wonder if he ever WAS living with them. It is odd and of concern that there were forged checks. In other words, the Garridos had easy access to Medeiros' check book. Was this because he was living with them? I also wonder how much his ex-wife paid him for that house. Would that be in public records? I would think that real estate transactions would be public. The amount "stolen" from Medeiros by the Garridos may be much more than $25,000!
Also, I checked the National sex offender database, and Medeiros is not on it. (I am trying to figure out if there is more to this than meets the eye.)

I too wonder how much his wife paid him for the house.???
I cant imagine that it was only 25K. If he has dementia - could he have forgotten?

ALSO: why were the locks in that house set up to only work from the outside? Was Jack locked in?
Or did PG move Jack to his own extra room, and use that house to harm any of the girls.?

BBM
I do not find it odd that the Garrido's were able to write checks in Jacks behalf because they played "family"...
I am sure that when they wrote a check for example to the electric company, they also wrote one that Jack did not know about (forgery). Very often old people have the person who takes care of them (PG) write their checks.
Once in a while that person is a crook like PG.
I used to help an old lady, they can't see well enough to write most of their bills out.

I, too, would like to know more information about Jack. The only public records I've seen regarding his house were the details you (MBK) posted earlier in this thread. As you already know, there is no sale price included, just the home's value. I'd almost bet the farm that Patricia's name is affiliated w/ the sale of this house as it was when the Sheltons rented it JMO. I wish the Shelton's would have given more details about why they thought Jack lived w/ P&NG. PG may have had access to his checks w/out him living there, though. My husband and I did some work for an elderly lady that had a stroke and lost use of her right side and had trouble writing, as a result. I had access to her checkbook as she would have me write checks all the time (she signed her own name, of course)and I had only known her for a short time. Obviously, I never took advantage of this and never would. PG, however, probably would. Whether or not Jack lived w/ them, I get the impression that PG would have had easy access to Jack's account judging by Jack's description of the nature of their relationship (like family, caretakers, etc...).

I read in an article that the officer had been looking up pictures of missing children on the NMEC site prior to Garrido coming in that day, and he came across Jaycee's and she fit the bill...

Thanks, but that would only make her "fit the bill",
not a conclusion until she finally spoke.
To my knowledge it took some time for her to speak the truth.
But I am glad that for once they did some homework in advance and begun the questioning.

The article posted on this thread says she was subjected to serious interrogation and succumbed to pressure.
So it doesn't sound to me like she was so eager to tell them who she was.

That is correct jjenny. :)
I imagine that she was afraid; she would not want to go back home with PG and end up in the restrainers or something worse. :banghead:
It took time before she spoke.
They usually talk when they understand that the perp is not coming out and that they are not going back with their abuser; they have to feel safe to talk.

I imagine she was told he is going to jail, that she will be reunited with real family, but they need her to coporate to get her home, or he will do this again, and again.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back