Elimination Communication?

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by BetteDavisEyes, Apr 22, 2013.

1. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Report: More babies going without diapers

New parenting method called 'Elimination Communication'

Author: Tara Evans, Producer, tevans@wkmg.com

Published On: Apr 22 2013 04:24:18 PM EDT Updated On: Apr 22 2013 04:45:54 PM EDT

Parents everywhere probably agree that changing diapers is no fun. But what about letting your baby go without diapers?

READ: Buying in bulk can save big bucks

It's called "elimination communication"; a method of parenting that is getting a lot of attention. According to the New York Times, it's actually become a huge trend in some hipper parts of New York City...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifes...pers/-/2300442/19849524/-/y984mf/-/index.html

2. Loading...

3. airplanelamp

airplanelamp New Member

Yes, there are mom's who swear by "EC" on several different parenting websites I belong to.

Personally, its not for me, as I feel that I would be "stuck" at home more than I would want.

I saved a lot of money on diapers, by using cloth ;)

4. ceecee30

ceecee30 Verified Financial Planner (AU)

I'm sure it works for some, but I have 2 boys under 2 and I've seen the messes that come out of them!!

Although I am quite tempted to try it with my 20month old, he can tell whether he's done a poo or wee (or he's an excellent guess) but he's already so close to being potty trained

5. Marie

Marie Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?

This has been semi-popular (in America) for at least a decade. I remember many trying it when my kids were younger. My grandmother always swore that her kids were 'potty trained' by 6 months. She said that if you had 6 kids and had to hand wash diapers then you were highly motivated. By the time I had kids she was too old to tell me how she did it but I assume it was similar to EC.

6. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

I could have done this with my first born as he was pretty much attached to my hip and I usually knew beforehand when he was about to do his business but I don't think I'd have managed with the second or the third one when the older ones were there to divert attention from the baby's bathroom needs.

The younger the baby, the less it's about potty training the baby and the more about potty training the adult to notice the child's signals. JMO.

7. belimom

belimom Our lives begin to end the day we become silent ab

We did this our oldest and had friends who did it as well. It works. We did it intermittently but our friends did it 100% of the time. Their daughter was completely potty-trained at 11-months-old, when she learned to walk and could walk herself to her little potty.

ETA - it's not 'new'. It goes back thousands of years. Diapers are what's new... ;)

8. FlyerFan28

FlyerFan28 Member

I have a ton of friends that did this with varied success.

9. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

We are kinda trying to potty train my DGS so this article was of interest. But no. Not even gonna try this.

10. fruity

fruity Active Member

I heard of this after my children were potty trained. I don't think I would have been successful with my first baby, but the second would have been good to try it with (a lot more laid back, easy to 'read' etc).

This baby factory is closed for good, so I'm never going to get the chance to try it out ;) . I mostly used cloth both of my kids and I hated washing them. I loved the extra money in my pocket each week though.

11. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

I meant to post this earlier (I'm addicted to the Jodi Arias trial!) for those who might not have seen this news item from last fall.

Mom Potty Trains Her Children In The Middle Of A Utah Restaurant (VIDEO)

Posted: 09/05/2012 6:07 pm Updated: 09/07/2012 6:50 pm

As any parent in the midst of potty training a child knows, public restrooms are sub-optimal for toddlers. HuffPost blogger Amber Dusick has illustrated the challenges (boys who can't reach the potty, girls who require toilet paper patchwork quilts, etc.), but much of the Internet is still outraged by one mom's recent solution to the going-potty-in-public conundrum.

It happened at the Thanksgiving Point Deli in Utah. The mom in question brought her family's potty to the restaurant, placed it on a chair and let each of her two children sit on it. While eating. At a table. In the middle of the dining room...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/potty-training-in-restaurant-_n_1858510.html