Elisa Baker - Life Before Adam

"LENIOR, NC (WBTV) - Hickory Police are looking into the marital status of the father and stepmother of a girl who was first listed as missing in October and was reported dead last week.

Adam and Elisa Baker, the father and stepmother of Zahra Baker, may have been married before Elisa Baker's divorce from her previous husband was final, which could make their Australian marriage invalid."

"Records that WBTV has obtained indicate that Elisa Baker, 42, who was married at least three times in the past, had her divorce finalized in August of 2009."

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13528956&clienttype=printable

OT, I know.. this pic was taken at the EVIL union..but Zahra just looks so happy..it's heartbreaking to see how the light in her eyes dimmed as time went on with EB..

eta~it's the red dress pic ..idk how to post a pic, sorry!

http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13528956&clienttype=printable

Is EB guilty of bigamy in NC even if she wasn't married to AB here in the US but rather in AU?

Quoting the NC law Sherlock posted...

If any person, being married, shall contract a marriage with any other person outside of this State, which marriage would be punishable as bigamous if contracted within this State, and shall thereafter cohabit with such person in this State, he shall be guilty of a felony and shall be punished as in cases of bigamy.

I think this question comes down to... did they "contract a marriage" (even if it's null and void under Australia statutes)?

Quoting the NC law Sherlock posted...

I think this question comes down to... did they "contract a marriage" (even if it's null and void under Australia statutes)?

Yes it does, you're right.Thanks!

It SURE is becoming more apparent why AB & EB HAD to pose for their wedding picture WITH their wedding "contract" eh?

I wonder if AB found that strange? OR if she insisted?

I thought the red dress pic was from a friends wedding, not EB & AB's wedding. Could be wrong, though.

----caption under "the red dress pic" : ( on right hand side of article ).

Zahra at Camp Quality. (Source: Townsville Bulletin)

I think it demonstrates more than the issue of truthfulness, i.e. - total lack of regard for the law, doing what one wants to do when one wants to do it, an inability to maintain commitment, manipultation of others without remorse and on and on. What we do not know is how much bitterness this lack of regard may have caused or if it had any bearing on the mounting pressure in the Baker home.

It also demonstrates that AB has some other issues of major concern to him because of her actions. The press has only responded to what the public has been asking for some time now.
It also proves she has no respect for the laws of anything, from stealing to bad checks and the list goes on.

You know, I have to say it. What bearing does this have on Zahra's case at all? Not to be too blunt, but who cares? Did Zahra find the marriage certificates and challenge her stepmother with them?

I am confused at the media's need to head in this direction. I think there is substantial evidence that EB is not a truthful person.

Moving On... JMVHO.

that if Zahra's father had known she was still married it might have kept Zahra out of her clutches?

There could be major federal charges filed against EB and AB for fraudelent immigration documents. If AB is here because he is"married" to EB there could be major federal immigation violations.
This would be another way to hold and charge them with stuff while continuing the investigation of Zahra's death. Just another way to hold them in jail while gathering more evidence.:dance:
I just bet AB will never use the internet again. If all of this is true, AB & Zahra did not have a chance aganist E?????????whatever her last name is. The one good thing that can come out this if the marriage is not, EB is not Z's stepmother and we no longer need to refer to her as Z's stepmother.

I'd really like the hear how this might affect AB's immigration status. Maybe one of the lawyers will weigh in.

I'm not a lawyer, but can tell you when DH and I went through the immigration, I had to send in my divorce decree from my previous marriage several times throughout the process...(i.e. before he came to US, after he was here and applied for adjustment of status, removal of conditions, US Citizenship).

Marriage Licence is a Requirement to Marry in Australia

Aug 2, 2010

A marriage licence (Notice of Intended Marriage) is required to be legally married and is obtained by informing the celebrant of the intention to marry.

A marriage ceremony in Australia can take place at any time and in any place to be legal.

The marriage act notes that this notice must be given no less than one month, prior to the intended date of the marriage.

A marriage certificate is prepared by the celebrant on the day the couple marry.

This certificate may be used as proof of marriage to institutions such as banks or the passport office.

Read more at Suite101: Marriage Law in Australia – Marriage Act 1961 http://www.suite101.com/content/marriage-law---marriage-act-1961-cth-a267266#ixzz15gHtizFk

---------if a notice of one month--(june in this case )----is required prior to marriage----EB and AB decided practically upon sight of one another-----to get married!

One reason I am interested in EB's possible bigamy is the laws regarding spusal testimony.

"The spousal testimonial privilege (or spousal immunity) can be used to prevent any party in a criminal case from calling the defendant's spouse to testify against the defendant about any topic. In federal court as a matter of common law, this privilege attaches to the witness spouse, not to the defendant; that is, the defendant's spouse can refuse to testify against the defendant, but the defendant may not prevent his or her spouse from testifying against the defendant."

Now I'm not an attorney and may be totally off with this thought but here goes....

If LE tracks down evidence that EB & AB can not possibly be married legally due to the fact that EB had not obtained a legal divorce from AY then they would not longer be considered spouses...

and their testimony in court against each other could not be prevented by either person's attorneys.

At some point I believe these two will turn on each other in the war of survival and I don't want anything out there to stop them from doing a "tell all". :dj:

I was thinking the same thing. Great point!

It also proves she has no respect for the laws of anything, from stealing to bad checks and the list goes on.

Well, apparently AB doesn't either, from writing bad checks to communicating threats to assault with a deadly weapon. Birds of a feather, if you ask me.

JMO

So this ex-husband of EB's lived across the street from AB & EB's last known address prior to 21st NW street? Phillips Lane? The same address that neighbors reported seeing AB & EB hanging around late at night after they had moved out? The one where neighbors reported an awful smell coming from the manhole covers?
Interesting.

http://www.wsoctv.com/video/25843125/index.html

ETA: Or perhaps this was at the Helton, Rd. address? (I need to look up dates of former addresses, I guess)

Wouldn't AY have KNOWN if EB had filed for divorce because he would have been served divorce papers?

Wouldn't it also go to the legality of AB's immigration status?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back