Elizabeth Johnson Trial - Day 7 - 6th Day of Prosecution's Case - Tuesday, Oct 2

That was the plan...we lost video feed during the last 30 minutes or so of court as IS pulled the plug on their feed.

There will be no court tomorrow ....Thursday the ATty's are getting together with the Judge (no jury present) to discuss jury instructions.

Then there will be a 2 WEEK break before Defense starts closing arguments on oct 16th....I just am not feelin the love for the 2 week break the jury is out before hearing the Defense's closing. Seems like such a long time!

BBM:
I'm confused about my bold. The defense isn't going to put on a defense? And how does the defense have a closing before the state? Closing argument's ususally go like this: state, defense and the state's rebuttal.

well now I have some hope again, that long pause from Det ramierz and basicially no answer IS AN ANSWER..im praying for a good outcome..

are there transcripts anywhere on line where we can read what was said in those calls? The tone was different than I imagined.

Here's is a link about the telcon between TS and EJ

http://www.kpho.com/story/14808248/audio-baby-gabriel-defendants-point-fingers-12-14-2010

And here's a link to an audio of the two calls between EJ and LM on Dec 27th

http://www.ahwatukee.com/news/valley_and_state/audio_12580054-2c9b-5bed-acef-6a2dbfcf27a9.html

Haven't found any link yet to the telcon between EJ and LM on 26th Dec

LE may not know- Elizabeth could have used the phone in her room for local calls. IIRC, LE couldn't trace such a call- there was no way to assign a call to a specific room.

I work at a hotel doing night audit.We can trace every number made by guests and we can look up past records.I'm sure that's the same everywhere.

BBM:
I'm confused about my bold. The defense isn't going to put on a defense? And how does the defense have a closing before the state? Closing argument's ususally go like this: state, defense and the state's rebuttal.

Attys and Judge are meeting in court on Thursday 4th Oct to talk about Jury Instructions. Don't think this is being televised. They will reconvene on Monday 15th Oct to finalise Jury Instructions. MV doesn't want to say whether EJ will testify or not until the Jury Instructions are agreed.

Personally, I get the feeling there won't be any testimony from EJ or any defence witnesses because MV was suggesting yesterday that if jury instructions are agreed in the morning on the 15th that prosecution could start their closing arguments in the afternoon of the 15th. Judge wasn't happy with that idea and wanted prosecution to start closing on Tuesday 16th. So I suspect it will be the prosecution closing statements on Tuesday 16th followed at some point by MV's closing statements which will be the only defence for EJ. JMO

BBM:

MV didn't argue the facts of the case, so his closing is super-crucial. IMHO, there is no person but EJ to support her versions of the story and there's no way they could put her on the stand.

There are many cases I've seen where the defense just closes without calling any witnesses and go on to argue in closing that the state hasn't proven its case. He'll claim EJ didn't "kidnap" Gabriel, that she was within her legal rights to take him out of state. He will say that whatever happened in Texas has no relation to THESE charges. He said as much to the jurors at the beginning in his opening. Again, IMHO, he will expect EJ to get convicted of the minor charge of custodial interference. Look what a guilty on that charge got TS! His main goal would be to get a not guilty on the kidnapping charges, which could get EJ major time in prison. If he gets what he wants, EJ will walk on time served.

I'm so sorry I couldn't join you all yesterday. Can I say newly retired, bored husband??? :floorlaugh:

I work at a hotel doing night audit.We can trace every number made by guests and we can look up past records.I'm sure that's the same everywhere.

Wow- Thanks for that info. I wonder if LE did this and we just don't know about it or if LE blew it. Hmm...

Wow- Thanks for that info. I wonder if LE did this and we just don't know about it or if LE blew it. Hmm...

That information might be vital to an investigation into what happened to Gabriel in Texas and not something they want to release right now since it has no bearing on the case in Arizona. jmo

MV didn't argue the facts of the case, so his closing is super-crucial. IMHO, there is no person but EJ to support her versions of the story and there's no way they could put her on the stand.

There are many cases I've seen where the defense just closes without calling any witnesses and go on to argue in closing that the state hasn't proven its case. He'll claim EJ didn't "kidnap" Gabriel, that she was within her legal rights to take him out of state. He will say that whatever happened in Texas has no relation to THESE charges. He said as much to the jurors at the beginning in his opening. Again, IMHO, he will expect EJ to get convicted of the minor charge of custodial interference. Look what a guilty on that charge got TS! His main goal would be to get a not guilty on the kidnapping charges, which could get EJ major time in prison. If he gets what he wants, EJ will walk on time served.

I'm so sorry I couldn't join you all yesterday. Can I say newly retired, bored husband??? :floorlaugh:

I think what the kidnapping charges are referring to is the fact that she has kept information about the whereabouts of Gabriel from the father and authorities to date and they are not specific to her leaving the state originally with the baby. Keeping Logan from his child would be covered under the kidnapping charge, IMI. jmo

There are two questions I have if anyone can fill me in 1) Did LE check to see if any large amounts of money were deposited into EJ account or any account in those days, did she have cash on her and how much when they caught up with her 2) Why didnt she just give the baby to TPS if she didn't want to care for him anymore, what motivated her to not want to do that? Her spite towards Logan, I dont see it sorry JMO. Also the conversation she had with TPS, sounds very fishy.

I have to wonder if the jury is wondering if Baby Gabe is still missing. Did the jury think it strange that EJ wasn't in the courtroom yesterday afternoon. This has been the strangest trial. I also wonder if EJ can use the 2 week pause in an appeal if she is found guilty.

she didn't have a lot of money when she was found (IIRC)
No one found any big deposits of $ that we are aware of
Too much heat giving the kid to TPS cause Logan didn't want the child adopted plus (IMO) her and TPS were in cahoots to get the baby adopted w/o Logans authority. It just got really messed up when she got to TX and TPS got the hint that she was being looked at by the cops.
She got rid of Gabe so Logan couldn't have him.
I agree with you re: The conversation she had with TPS --VERY fishy!

I have a strong gut feeling that she did not kill Gabriel. Something about the way that conversation went. None of this make sense, I just don't credit her with enough brains to pull this off with zero evidence other than a bogus confession.

IIRC - EJ made a statement to Logan during the I killed the baby conversation about "you know what I am capable of", in addition to all of the "you forced me, it's your fault, that is what you get if you talk to girls, you never helped, I couldn't do it alone" statements

What does Logan know she is "capable of"? She has torn up the house, his clothing, etc....but were there other incidents? (ie: killing or injury to an animal?) Just what lengths has EJ gone to prior to this incident? One poster mentioned she went after someone with a "plunger" but were there any other incidents?

I apologize for the questions. I have not been following the case on this board.

First, why is this case not being televised on In Session? They are running a rerun for WEEKS on the John Goodman manslaughter trial.

Also, I heard that the facts of the case are not in dispute. What can we expect from the defense? Are they not mounting a defense?

BBM and snipped as well

Is this judge for real? TWO week break? I have never seen something like this.

I had to be gone all yesterday and this morning so I'm just now catching up.

A TWO WEEK BREAK???????????????????? I agree, I've never seen anything like this. Totally unfair to the jurors, too.

Wow. I'm speechless.

I apologize for the questions. I have not been following the case on this board.

First, why is this case not being televised on In Session? They are running a rerun for WEEKS on the John Goodman manslaughter trial.

Also, I heard that the facts of the case are not in dispute. What can we expect from the defense? Are they not mounting a defense?

The best we could guess about IS is that court doesn't even start until 10:30 AZ time--and it's always at least 30 minutes late--so that doesn't leave hardly any time left because IS shuts off soon after that. They will be showing it on tape later in the month.

I have been told all my life there is a little truth in every lie. The last letter to the judge sticks out to me. I think her telling him his sentence of TS wasnt stiff enough says she knows what happened to GAbrial and that TS helped. I just think TS was smarter than her and saw a loop hole to get out of a stiffer sentence. JMO

The best we could guess about IS is that court doesn't even start until 10:30 AZ time--and it's always at least 30 minutes late--so that doesn't leave hardly any time left because IS shuts off soon after that. They will be showing it on tape later in the month.

I didnt think of that. That would mean court doesnt start until 1:30-2 where I am. Glad they are running it later in the month.

How is this case defensible?

Sadly, I believe Baby Gabe is deceased. I think the mom would have come forward by now to avoid a lengthy sentence if he was still alive. Something is up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back