Enh risk of severe tstorms across portions of IA/MO/IL

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Purplepixii, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Purplepixii

Purplepixii New Member

Head's up to WS'ers over the pond - some severe weather being talked about over there today (severe weather is one of my interests/hobbies) - be aware over there!

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk.html

(and for those also interested but not near the affected areas, this link is good - chasers have been driving through the night to get in position https://tvnweather.com/live/)

Be safe! :grouphug:

2. Loading...

3. tlcya

tlcya <b><span style="color:#007C00;">WS Administrator</ Administrator

Thanks for the thread start purplepixii

Been keeping my eye on this system for several days. We are expecting serious damaging winds and possible tornado activity in some of the affected areas.

Be safe friends.

4. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy

Nov 12 2015, 5:26 am ET

'November Witch' Brews Nasty Weather Over Nation's Midsection

by M. Alex Johnson

It's called the "Witch of November," and it's casting its spell on millions — threatening severe gusty winds and thunderstorms across the Upper Midwest and Ohio Valley through Friday.

The November Witch is what meteorologists call the powerful low-pressure weather system that's already spawned 10 suspected tornadoes, flooded streets and knocked out power to tens of thousands across Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri. Parts of the Rockies saw up to a foot of snow Wednesday.

The phenomenon — which is brewed up when intense low pressure clashes with a pocket of high pressure — is what sank the ship memorialized in "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" 40 years ago...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...nasty-weather-over-nations-midsection-n461766

5. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

We had 71 mph winds here. There's a limb down in my driveway but that's all (as far as I can see) thankfully. I should have that cleaned up in the next hour. Two years ago in November and about 10 miles from here they had an (I heard) EF5 tornado that swept homes away right down to the foundation.

6. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy

Really wicked winds are yet to arrive in Metro Detroit. For now, the winds are steady at 20-30 mph but stronger winds are predicted as the day progresses. Sporadic power outages in the tri-county area (Macomb, Oakland, Wayne). Upside to the "witch" is that there won't be any leaves left to fall, so we can finish fall cleanup this weekend :D Be safe.

7. AnaTeresa

AnaTeresa New Member

The winds are rattling the windows in my downtown skyscraper in Ohio. I can only imagine what it's like on the upper floors - I'm so happy to be on the third!