Ethiopian Air ET302, Boeing 737 crashes - 157 souls - 10 March 2019

Ethiopian investigators make two major recommendations

Ethiopian Minister of Transport Dagmawit Moges said that based on initial information gathered during the investigation, two safety recommendations have been forwarded in the preliminary report.

They are:
  1. Since repetitive and commanded aircraft nose down conditions are noticed in this preliminary investigation, it is recommended that the aircraft flight control system relative to the flight controllability shall be reviewed by the manufacturer.
  2. Aviation authorities shall verify that the review of aircraft control system related to flight controllability has been adequately addressed by the manufacturer before release of the aircraft to operations.
Ethiopian accident investigators have not identified any damage to the aircraft’s sensors that could have contributed to the March 10 crash.

“We can confirm that we haven’t found any foreign object damage,” Colonel Amdeye Fenta, chief of Ethiopian Accident Information Bureau, told reporters at a news conference on Thursday, speaking through a translator.

He also said investigators have not identified any “structural design problem” with the aircraft.

The Ethiopian Minister of Transport said investigators have reviewed the cockpit voice and flight data recorders, as well as records such as “additional documents gathered from the operator” of the plane.

Ethiopian Airlines crash report released: Live updates - CNN

"A preliminary report should have information about the flight crew's experience, the weather conditions, any maintenance issues with previous flights, relevant airworthiness directives, a detailed timeline of the flight, information about the cockpit voice recorder, instrument readings and system activations from the flight data recorder, etc," says CNN's Oren Lieberman.

"In other words, there is a tremendous amount of information that we're still looking for about Ethiopian Airlines flight 302."

Ethiopian Airlines pilots 'followed expected procedures before crash': Live updates - CNN

To some extent, the FAA and Boeing tried to address many of the issues raised by investigators after the Lion Air crash.

On November 7, 2018, the FAA issued an emergency airworthiness directive because the flight control problem experienced on that doomed flight was "likely to exist or develop in other products" of the same aircraft. The airworthiness directive (AD) required a revision of the Airplane Flight Manual and the Operating Procedures.

Crucially, the AD did not ground the 737 Max series aircraft. The FAA has already faced scrutiny for its decision not to ground the aircraft earlier, and this preliminary report from Ethiopian Airlines 302 is likely to increase that scrutiny.

On November 11, 2018, Boeing issued a message to operators of the 737 Max series aircraft because it had "received many requests for the same information from 737 fleet operators" following the Lion Air crash. The message explained the automated MCAS anti-stall system, which adjusts the trim to try to avoid an imminent stall.

737 pilots who have spoken with CNN say this system was not explained during the transition training to the newer 737 Max series aircraft. Those pilots were essentially in the dark about a new system on the plane.

This message, issued after the Lion Air crash, tried to address that by offering pilots more information. But the preliminary report from the crash of Ethiopian Airlines 302 is once again likely to amplify the scrutiny Boeing is facing about the 737 Max aircraft.

It may also give some insight as to why Boeing and the FAA announced it would take additional time -- a few more weeks -- to get the 737 Max aircraft once again approved for service.

Ethiopian Airlines pilots 'followed expected procedures before crash': Live updates - CNN

Five members of one family were among those killed when Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 crashed.

Carol Karanja was traveling from Canada to Kenya with her mother and three children aged 7, 4 and 9 months.

Carol had texted her sister saying she felt uneasy about the flight. "My heart isn't really excited. I feel like there's something bad ahead, but I don't know what," the WhatsApp message read.

She was so worried about the trip that she also sent a similar message expressing her fear to her father before she boarded the flight.

That’s positively creepy and so terribly sad.

Aviation expert: The FAA has blown its reputation

CNN aviation analyst Mary Schiavo has criticized the FAA for its oversight of Boeing. The FAA has come in for criticism for its role in approving the Boeing 737 Max aircraft that were involved in fatal crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia.

Schiavo questioned the quality of the FAA's oversight of Boeing and claimed that the administration's previous reputation for excellence has been tarnished. She said, "The FAA has finally blown that image. There should be triple redundancy for different systems to ensure safety, but the MCAS software systems aboard both crashed Max 8s were fed by only one angle of attack (AOA) sensor. She claims this reliance on just one sensor begs the question as to why Boeing didn't originally build the planes with two AOA sensors, and why the FAA did not require it.

Another issue with the 737 Max is its tendency to point slightly upward due to the use of larger engines which altered its aerodynamics compared to previous 737s. Boeing tried to remedy this using the MCAS software, but Schiavo questioned why the FAA approved a software fix for the issue. She said, "Why was MCAS put in to solve what looks like a center of gravity problem, a pitch up problem?"

Ethiopian aviation authorities concluded that the pilots did everything they were trained to do to regain control of the plane.

The main takeaways are as follows:

• Software may have played a role in the crash: The automated anti-stall software called the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) is under suspicion.
  • No sign yet of a problem with the sensor: Although it doesn't rule out a possibly faulty sensor, a top Ethiopian accident investigator said Thursday they have not identified any damage to the aircraft's sensors that could have contributed to the crash.
  • MCAS training didn't appear to help prevent the crash: Overall, Ethiopian aviation authorities are making it clear that pilot error does not appear to be an issue in the crash and the pressure is now on Boeing to ensure the 737 Max is safe.
Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max crash findings: Live updates - CNN

Boeing's 737 Max Isn't Going to Fly Anywhere Soon

Nothing can replace the loss experienced by the families of the 346 people who died when two 737 Max planes crashed in the space of five months. But clarity about what caused those tragedies would help. Unfortunately, we still don’t have it, and are unlikely to for some time.

On Thursday, Ethiopian authorities announced their preliminary findings into last month’s crash, but they don’t bring us much closer to the truth. The reluctance of regulators to rush to judgement is understandable given the sensitivity and technical nature of the issues involved. However, until vital questions are satisfactorily answered, the 737 Max will not return to the skies. For Boeing Co. and its customers, time is money, but that is of secondary concern when human lives are involved.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Aviation expert: The FAA has blown its reputation

CNN aviation analyst Mary Schiavo has criticized the FAA for its oversight of Boeing. The FAA has come in for criticism for its role in approving the Boeing 737 Max aircraft that were involved in fatal crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia.

Schiavo questioned the quality of the FAA's oversight of Boeing and claimed that the administration's previous reputation for excellence has been tarnished. She said, "The FAA has finally blown that image. There should be triple redundancy for different systems to ensure safety, but the MCAS software systems aboard both crashed Max 8s were fed by only one angle of attack (AOA) sensor. She claims this reliance on just one sensor begs the question as to why Boeing didn't originally build the planes with two AOA sensors, and why the FAA did not require it.

Another issue with the 737 Max is its tendency to point slightly upward due to the use of larger engines which altered its aerodynamics compared to previous 737s. Boeing tried to remedy this using the MCAS software, but Schiavo questioned why the FAA approved a software fix for the issue. She said, "Why was MCAS put in to solve what looks like a center of gravity problem, a pitch up problem?"

I think the reporter misunderstood what Ms. Shiavo said. The 737 MAX does have two AOA sensors. The MCAS only relied on input from one. That's why Boeing is now going to retrofit all the planes with the AOA Disagree warning light.

But if the preliminary report shows no damage to the sensor then what exactly are the Ethiopian safety inspectors saying? It'll probably be a while before the final report so I guess it's prudent to wait and see but I'm really curious.

I think the reporter misunderstood what Ms. Shiavo said. The 737 MAX does have two AOA sensors. The MCAS only relied on input from one. That's why Boeing is now going to retrofit all the planes with the AOA Disagree warning light.

But if the preliminary report shows no damage to the sensor then what exactly are the Ethiopian safety inspectors saying? It'll probably be a while before the final report so I guess it's prudent to wait and see but I'm really curious.
I am curious as well. It seems MCAS works, it just is working when it shouldn't, and does so repeatedly. So it appears its getting bad data. Something is causing it to believe the plane is in a nose up stall when it isn't. In the Lion Air incident I believe it was indeed a faulty AOS.

Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg acknowledged, for the first time, that bad data feeding into an automated flight system on the company's popular 737 jets played a role in two crashes that killed 346 people after Ethiopian aviation officials said their investigation found no pilot error in a March 10 crash in Addis Ababa.

"But with the release of the preliminary report of the Ethiopian Airlines flight 302 accident investigation it's apparent that in both flights the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System, known as MCAS, activated in response to erroneous angle of attack information," Muilenberg said in a statement and video that was posted to the company's Twitter account Thursday.

Boeing CEO acknowledges — for the first time — that bad data played role in 737 Max crashes

I am really angry about Boeing and this Frankenstein aircraft that should never have been developed goodness knows how the families who have lost loved ones must feel.

Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg issued an apology Thursday on behalf of Boeing stating the company is "sorry for the lives lost in the recent 737 MAX accidents," and that they "are relentlessly focused on safety to ensure tragedies like this never happen again," according to the statement.

"These tragedies continue to weigh heavily on our hearts and minds, and we extend our sympathies to the loved ones of the passengers and crew on board Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302. All of us feel the immense gravity of these events across our company and recognize the devastation of the families and friends of the loved ones who perished," the statement went on to say.

Boeing apologizes for deadly Max crashes, takes responsibility

I suppose this was devised by public relations people for damage limitation. I’m not suggesting the people at Boeing aren’t genuinely upset at what has happened I just wish the Max aircraft programme could be scrapped.

I am curious as well. It seems MCAS works, it just is working when it shouldn't, and does so repeatedly. So it appears its getting bad data. Something is causing it to believe the plane is in a nose up stall when it isn't. In the Lion Air incident I believe it was indeed a faulty AOS.
This is a real head scratcher. The report from earlier today had the Ethiopian officials saying he AOA sensor was not damaged. If that's true then the only thing left that I can see is there's a problem in the software - in the AOA, MCAS or the flight control system. I would think if it's a software problem the analysts will be able to determine where.

Furthermore, I wonder now how other pilots were able to overcome the problem and land safely in prior flights of the accident planes and other incidents that pilots reported.

Who exactly is handling the bulk of this investigation. I mean, I know Ethiopia is officially in charge, but who is doing the work?

That's a good question. The person named in msm is Ethiopian Transport Minister Dagmawit Moges but I haven't found who exactly is doing the hands-on examinations.

For Boeing Co. and its customers, time is money, but that is of secondary concern when human lives are involved.

Hmph! The fact that "time is money" is mentioned before human lives shows this not to be the case, at least in my mind. If Boeing believed that lives were their foremost concern, they would have advised all airlines to ground the planes immediately following the Ethiopian crash while intensive investigations were carried out. Actions speak louder than words.

The report from earlier today had the Ethiopian officials saying he AOA sensor was not damaged. If that's true then the only thing left that I can see is there's a problem in the software - in the AOA, MCAS or the flight control system. I would think if it's a software problem the analysts will be able to determine where.

Ethiopian aviation authorities concluded that the pilots did everything they were trained to do to regain control of the plane.

The main takeaways are as follows:

• Software may have played a role in the crash: The automated anti-stall software called the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) is under suspicion.
  • No sign yet of a problem with the sensor: Although it doesn't rule out a possibly faulty sensor, a top Ethiopian accident investigator said Thursday they have not identified any damage to the aircraft's sensors that could have contributed to the crash.
  • MCAS training didn't appear to help prevent the crash: Overall, Ethiopian aviation authorities are making it clear that pilot error does not appear to be an issue in the crash and the pressure is now on Boeing to ensure the 737 Max is safe.
Ethiopian Airlines 737 Max crash findings: Live updates - CNN

The pilots on board Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 battled the plane's automated flight control systems for almost the entire duration of the six-minute flight, according to a preliminary report into the crash obtained by CNN on Thursday.

The captain and the first officer struggled as the Boeing 737 Max 8's systems, designed to prevent the plane stalling, repeatedly forced the nose of the plane down. For nearly six minutes, the report shows, the pilots worked through a series of procedures to try to regain control of the plane.

""It's our responsibility to eliminate this risk," he said. "We own it and we know how to do it."

Part of Boeing's software fix is to use readings from two AOA sensors instead of just one.

Video shows what happens when MCAS is deployed.

Boeing CEO 'sorry' for 737 MAX Ethiopian Airlines and LionAir losses - CNN

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back