Evidence threshold crossed?

SuperDave said:
Well, I'm going to break here and say that not only do I support the death penalty, I think executions should be public.
How can you say this and be against death at the same time? I'm sorry, I just don't understand. So a rage killing committed by society at large is somehow more justifiable than a rage killing committed by an individual? How do you justify this to yourself?

"How can you say this and be against death at the same time? I'm sorry, I just don't understand. So a rage killing committed by society at large is somehow more justifiable than a rage killing committed by an individual? How do you justify this to yourself?"

I'll tell you how! Because the victim didn't have a choice. The killer did. The killer gets a trial and appeals. What chance did the killer give his victim?

That's how!

SuperDave, I'm not going to debate the logic behind your feelings, cause you are completely logical in your opinion. It makes sense. However, how do you account for innocents who are found guilty and sentenced to die? You now not only have one innocent whose life was taken, but two. There is no way to ACCURATELY judge the guilty from the innocent. No possible way. Unless you were there, there is no way. Taking the chance of executing an innocent person just for retribution seems WAY too risky for my conscience.

May I suggest this reading:
http://www.schr.org/

If there's not possible way to judge innocence or guilt, why have trials at all?

But you're right: to me, the idea of executing an innocent person is abhorrent. But there are better safety precautions for that now than there were.

There are a lot of myths about that. But in short, if you have more than three credible eyewitnesses, it's a short walk for you!

Hey you guys, I hate to be a spoil sport... BUT.

There's a death penalty discussion going on in the Parking Lot. You'll note that I don't post real often there... it's because I have very strong opinons about the matter, and tend to get myself and others upset about it all.

Now, I have been a very good girl, and have stayed out of the death penalty discussion. **pats self on back** But you all are gonna make me fall off the wagon, offend people, and probably get banned from WS forever.

IS THAT WHAT YOU REALLY WANT??

Me neither.
smile.gif

sandraladeda said:
I hope you are sitting down, julianne. I actually agree with you. :D

I posted as much a while back - the theory of Burke being guilty of an accident and the R's covering for him was pretty much debunked by the arrest of JMK - no way would the DA's office go to that trouble if the case was actually secretly solved, the truth witheld to protect an underage perp - no way....

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And I would add that people like Alex Hunter would not have allowed their reputations to be ruined to protect somebody else's kid. No matter what the law says about minors or grand juries, there are ways of leaking info.

I don't know whether BDI or not. But this myth that half of Colorado knows BDI and just isn't talking needs to end.

Nova said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And I would add that people like Alex Hunter would not have allowed their reputations to be ruined to protect somebody else's kid. No matter what the law says about minors or grand juries, there are ways of leaking info.

I don't know whether BDI or not. But this myth that half of Colorado knows BDI and just isn't talking needs to end.
:blowkiss:
You're welcome!

(waving madly, hi Nova!)

I think for the evidence threshold to be crossed, it's not just how much evidence there is. It's how much there is that has no other explanation, no innocent explanation - basically the reasonable doubt zone. To me, this case is short of that bar. It's like the SP case before the body was found. Guy having affairs, jerk, lies about his wherabouts, doesn't cooperate with police, missing and no doubt dead wife - just short of the threshold - sometimes a jerk who wishes his wife was dead gets lucky and someone else kills her - not too likely, but a doubt I'd have to call reasonable - very borderline, but reasonable. Add anything to that, let alone a lead weight like body found where husband lied about being - done.

Ransom note that maybe was written by mother (handwriting matching being much more an exclusionary than inclusionary level of science), with facts that were related to the family (but possible for many others to know), body found in the home, fiber (that has many possible methods of transfer, not the least of which is from JBR herself) in the rope, parents noncooperative with police (that maybe showed a bias), no clear breakin or evidence of intruder (but this has been true before when there has been an intruder), mystery pineapple - it's not enough. Something more is needed, and at this point, it's unlikely to turn up any new evidence.

Add history on any of the family members towards any pedophilia, pre-indications they knew she'd be dying (like recent life insurance, etc.), something else - and I'd believe, and see it going to trial. Right now, I can see any possibility being true - and since I tend to go along with the police and be very pro-prosecution, I think that really means they'd have no chance with a jury.

"I think that really means they'd have no chance with a jury."

I don't think they would have stood a chance anyway, if the Martha Stewart trial is any indication.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back