Excerpt: Andrea Lyon New Book

I don't think we need her book to understand how she operates. She has never had a client put on death row, so we already know she does her job and does it well. How? Sympathy and manipulation. She's going to milk the image of a pretty, young, white, middle class mother who loved her child and how "the state wants to kill her", as she says, for all it's worth. AL stating on Friday that some of their meetings were very personal, maybe even embarrassing (in regards to the videos becoming public) leads me to believe that she's digging into Casey's relationship with her parents. She'll use something from the past to paint her client like a victim. Don't be surprised if AL throws CA and GA under the bus, that she will place blame on them for why Casey did what she did and acted the way she did in the aftermath.

I don't need her book to tell me this.

Hey, it's just my opinion, but I do not think AL does this because she has any real empathy for her clients. In my opinion, she sees this as a quest against the law. Techniques. Cut and dried and scientific. Formula. She doesn't care about KC, or Caylee, or the Anthonys. She cares about how cleverly she slices through the law, about how cleverly she pulls emotion out of the jury, about how shiny her cheeks get with crocodile tears to soften the hearts of the evil dp jury.

I don't think there is any sincerity in her.

But then, I can only do a job if I believe in it. That has kept me from doing lots of different jobs. I would make a miserable lawyer, I guess.

No. I would not buy it.

Of course not. I would add that anyone who does buy this piece of trash should be ashamed of themselves.

Why? Ms. Lyon obviously wrote this book before she became involved in this case. IF she was not involved in this case, would that make a difference in how you feel about people who buy this book? I am not fond of defense attorneys in general, but might find this book interesting to see how she incorporates what she says in the book with what tactics she uses at the trial. Ms. Lyon is passionate about being against the death penalty. A number of people on this website (including me) are passionate about this case. You can see where I am going, right?

As for the book being a 'piece of trash' I don't know that because I have not read it. I wouldn't be surprised if this book is read by many attorneys who will be facing Ms. Lyon in the courtroom, just to get an idea of what to expect.

Of course, all this is just my opinion, as your comment was your opinion.

I don't think we need her book to understand how she operates. She has never had a client put on death row, so we already know she does her job and does it well. How? Sympathy and manipulation. She's going to milk the image of a pretty, young, white, middle class mother who loved her child and how "the state wants to kill her", as she says, for all it's worth. AL stating on Friday that some of their meetings were very personal, maybe even embarrassing (in regards to the videos becoming public) leads me to believe that she's digging into Casey's relationship with her parents. She'll use something from the past to paint her client like a victim. Don't be surprised if AL throws CA and GA under the bus, that she will place blame on them for why Casey did what she did and acted the way she did in the aftermath.

Her writing a book explains her involvement in this case, free promotion, national and international attention has been given to this case. The same goes for Dr. Baden and his wife Linda's book, and other experts on the case who just so happen to have books currently released. There really is no 'pro bono' , there is more what mileage can I get out of the exposure. Pro bono imlies a noble, charitable, nothing in it for me type of voluntary legal aid. Ms. Lyons book actually helps the prosecution, because much like studying her past cases, and lectures one can guess with accuracy what arguments she is likely to use and plan accordingly, so I am happy. It is as if someone dropped off her closing arguments right on the State's desk and said, sneak peek, Merry Christmas!

I have often wondered why mom and pop don't see that writing on the wall, that they are going to be drug through the mud by Andrea in the closing arguments of penalty phase? It is going to make brother Rick's e mails look like a tea party invitation by comparison. It is going to be brutal! I wont be at all surprised if she states that Caylee was the product of a rape from a close family friend. Then we'll see how their public comments change, but ...alas...that is at least a year away imo.

It is very naive if Brad is not telling them to get ready for this eventual and inevitable dissection of her upbringing. It is not going to be pretty. It is going to be brutal, indeed. One of our posters wrote my favorite line in the case "We are not on Hope Springs Drive anymore folks!"

I think you are spot on as far as implicating G&C...I have listened to some of her lectures, read some of her work...and the parts of the book available on above site...she will talk about coercion...CA's self focus and control...GA's passiveness...and LA...can't pull up what she will come up with here...it is obvious she deals with the poor...those that can't defend themselves....

You are right about the fight against the law and the DP...it is her mission...

I have spent far too much time reading and listening to her...and find myself drawn to the train wreck...

During an interview on the Today Show, AL was asked how she could explain the behavior of KC during those 31 days and AL relied "people do funny things". I gotta say, if that is any indication of the kind of insight that this book will bring, it will be in the "free" bin at the dollar store soon enough. Even then, I will pass.

During an interview on the Today Show, AL was asked how she could explain the behavior of KC during those 31 days and AL relied "people do funny things". I gotta say, if that is any indication of the kind of insight that this book will bring, it will be in the "free" bin at the dollar store soon enough. Even then, I will pass.

That flippant answer she and Baez give to push Casey's behavior under the rug will fall flat on the jury. Our own CeCy had a funny take on Andrea's comments, she said, "Ugly Coping.... some bartender needs to make that the name of a drink".

We need a laugh sometimes!

Andrea Lyon's new book, Angel of Death Row: My life as a Death Penalty Defense Lawyer, will be hitting the bookshelves in the next several weeks.

It includes her experience of defending a young mother accused of the murder of her baby girl and she handled the case.

Do you plan on purchasing or reading this book and do you think it will give insight into how she will handle KC's case?

Excerpt from Angel of Death Row by Andrea Lyon

(click on EXCERPT link at top of book cover)

Gee- Is this why the defense hasn't had time to work on the carious cases for KC? No one can wait for the trials to be over with---Greed- Greed-Greed
If she writes about the truth- then why is KC still in jail- It's like they know this case is a lost cause and they are trying to get their money before all blows up in their faces.
When is JB publishing his? Is everyone on the defense being paid in this fashion?
Strictly my opinions- Wait !!!! Could this be a ploy to sway the public again?
I think if the book is about KC- wouldn't publishing a book now be a conflict of interest? Or, if the book is not about KC directly, but based on her situation just to get out what the defense wants the public to know- to cause a shaow of doubt in this case- H-m-m-m
I don't think the defense should be allowed to publish a book while trying a case on the same subject, until the trial is over-
This case is making me ditrust everyone on the defense- The bugs and birds are smarter than me- at least they are avoiding all this nonsense-

Any book written by anyone on the defense team will automatically fall into one of two categories for me:

1) Book I will read while sitting in the bookstore, which I HATE seeing!!!!
2) Book I will buy with the cover ripped off, where the author makes no money from the sale.

I will not be buying the book.

I don't have a problem with the secret she held for years. She isn't the only one who is required to hold secrets as part of their JOB. I think it's unrealistic to believe other wise. However, knowing that secret has pointed her to the fact that innocents do get convicted. And its wrong that an innocent person might get the DP.

She has always said it would give her PR for her BOOK that is to be released. I don't have a problem with that either. It's smart business.

I don't have a problem with her defending Casey. EVERYONE should have decent counsel. I just don't believe her comments that 'we' want her client dead, like this is something personal. When in reality "we" just want her punished per the law, if she is guilty of the crime she is being accused of BIG difference. What her client did was personal, what we want is per the law. Wither that is LWOP or DP. If she gets DP, her fault, not ours.

I don't have a problem with the way she looks. It's her life, her body, etc. How ever, her job is a show.. and how she looks should be considered part of it.

My problem is with her comments she made during that lecture. She had my respect until then. Why would I support someone who makes such negative comments about strong women. Even if SHE is a woman. That kind of talk has got to end. It's wrong on many levels. And I took personal offense.

So no, I will not be buying or reading the book.

My thoughts........

I won't bother reading it. If she writes in a manner that is anything like how she speaks.....I'd be asleep after the first chapter.

IMO----This is all in the timing. Sure, this book was in the works before she jumped on board KC's case......but what great publicity to attach to a book that profiles a case involving another mother charged w/ killing her child. AL is in the process of writing a book about her career and life, and lo and behold, along comes KC....She has hit the literary jackpot. Her attaching herself was part practicality (JB needs a DP lawyer) and mostly about notoriety and publicity, for herself. JMO

I have often wondered why mom and pop don't see that writing on the wall, that they are going to be drug through the mud by Andrea in the closing arguments of penalty phase? It is going to make brother Rick's e mails look like a tea party invitation by comparison. It is going to be brutal! I wont be at all surprised if she states that Caylee was the product of a rape from a close family friend. Then we'll see how their public comments change, but ...alas...that is at least a year away imo.

It is very naive if Brad is not telling them to get ready for this eventual and inevitable dissection of her upbringing. It is not going to be pretty. It is going to be brutal, indeed. One of our posters wrote my favorite line in the case "We are not on Hope Springs Drive anymore folks!"

Respectfully snipped. Perhaps this is why they are promoting their 100% belief in Casey? I just don't buy it when they spew that in the media. I figured they were kissing Casey's a$$, but why? Because a lot of schtuff is gonna come out at this trial and they're scared carpless. Now I get it. They're not just trying to sway potential jurors with their media tour, but they're trying to sway the media and public's opinion of themselves, too. They're buttering up the media and public for the inevitable bashing they're going to get in court.

Ah Geez! I sure hope she doesn't include her picture!!! What kind of visual does that give you? Andrea strolling down the corridor of death row, in long white robes, hand raised in a blessing - curly locks tumbling onto her shoulders and down her back - a beautific look on her face.......(fingernails on chalk board)
Angel of Death Row? Really? For folks like me whose first response is visual - give me a break!!!!

Allow me a minute to clarify my thoughts to fellow WS's re my opinions regarding A. Lyons. I do respect her intelligence and the passion with which she defends her beliefs, and appreciate that she is a respected member of the legal profession. As a Canadian, I don't even have to consider the death penalty in our many ugly and tragic cases. However, I do respect Americans who also defend their death penalty and believe it is their decision and their laws that govern the verdicts in such cases, particularly when compared to the tremendous personal sacrifice the American people make when sending their troops overseas to uphold and defend our safety. However, I find myself fighting to listen to her because I feel her delivery of those beliefs is done in a style that is so condescending, tedious, and in the case of her seminar delivery, offensive, I keep thinking why? Why make it so difficult? Andrea - a spoonful of sugar!

AL stating on Friday that some of their meetings were very personal, maybe even embarrassing (in regards to the videos becoming public) leads me to believe that she's digging into Casey's relationship with her parents. She'll use something from the past to paint her client like a victim. Don't be surprised if AL throws CA and GA under the bus, that she will place blame on them for why Casey did what she did and acted the way she did in the aftermath.

I do agree with this point, but I would probably read the book. I go back and forth between the death penalty regularly.

AL stating on Friday that some of their meetings were very personal, maybe even embarrassing (in regards to the videos becoming public) leads me to believe that she's digging into Casey's relationship with her parents. She'll use something from the past to paint her client like a victim. Don't be surprised if AL throws CA and GA under the bus, that she will place blame on them for why Casey did what she did and acted the way she did in the aftermath.

I do agree with this point, but I would probably read the book. I go back and forth between the death penalty regularly.

You know what? I do too. It's hard for me to say that all killers should get the DP, I have to look at the case. And I hate to be judgmental before the trial has even started, but I would be just fine if Casey got the DP. I would also be just fine if Casey got life. As long as she doesn't taste freedom ever again, then I'm happy.

Has anyone read the excerpt?
I'm reading it now, its pretty interesting.

I read a few pages. It seemed to me that every other word was "I" and had to stop.

If I were to acquire a copy can I send it to MM and he can have her sign it next time he is in court.

Just have her write:

To my favorite "killer" juror Marspiter.
With much love and strap-**'s.
The Genius, a true pioneer in the field of law.
XOXO

All in jest of course as I wouldn't buy this drivel.

Its an interesting excerpt and since it was free, I read it. But I wouldn't buy the book.
I believe in the right for the accused to have a good defense. I think AL is probably a pretty fantastic defense attorney. I think if she had been on the scene from the very beginning we would have had a different outcome, perhaps she would have accepted a plea deal.
In the end I think the dp will either be thrown out or overturned by JS.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back