Facebook admits 83 million profiles - 8.7% of its stated total - are fake

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Facebook admits 83m profiles are fake (Guardian)
Facebook has more than 83m fake profiles, including millions created for users' pets and a large number of accounts the company deems "undesirable", it has admitted.

The figure emerged in Facebook's first quarterly report to US financial regulators since the world's biggest social network made its much-criticised stock market debut in May.
---
The admission comes at a difficult time for Facebook as it attempts to rally following a disastrous stock market flotation, and convince shareholders it will be able to translate its extraordinary growth and global user base of nearly 1bn into a profitable and sustainable business.
---
much more, including a breakdown of the bogus accounts, at link above

lol.. Well I guess I'm one of the 83million "fake" FB accounts:D..lol.. And honestly if it was t for WS I wouldn't even have the "fake" one that I have..years ago I watched my family members, close friends, in laws, co workers, etc literally descend into madness with FB at the heart of it all.. I have a couple in laws that to this very day still aren't even on speaking terms to the point that one cannot attend family holiday gatherings if the other is there..ridiculous beyond belief.. Not to mention the fact that just off the top of my head I can name 3 family/close friends whose marriage came to an end due to the fact of their hooking up with old flames from the past that were brought back together via good ol' FB..

Naa.. I saw long ago what bs was brought about purely by the existence and involvement in FB.. And honestly the truth of the matter is this.. Those that I am interested in having friendships/relationships with.. Well.. They're very much a part of my jlife already.. Therefor those who would be looking me up on FB, "friending" me, and wanting to reunite and rekindle an old friendship/relationship.. Well.. They're obviously people I really have no interest in having in my life for one reason or another..;)

Believe me I get that FB has its good and I fully can appreciate that.. From afar with my lil ol "fake" FB acct that I created just so I could follow the FB links posted here at WS:)

lol.. Well I guess I'm one of the 83million "fake" FB accounts:D..lol.. And honestly if it was t for WS I wouldn't even have the "fake" one that I have..years ago I watched my family members, close friends, in laws, co workers, etc literally descend into madness with FB at the heart of it all.. I have a couple in laws that to this very day still aren't even on speaking terms to the point that one cannot attend family holiday gatherings if the other is there..ridiculous beyond belief.. Not to mention the fact that just off the top of my head I can name 3 family/close friends whose marriage came to an end due to the fact of their hooking up with old flames from the past that were brought back together via good ol' FB..

Naa.. I saw long ago what bs was brought about purely by the existence and involvement in FB.. And honestly the truth of the matter is this.. Those that I am interested in having friendships/relationships with.. Well.. They're very much a part of my jlife already.. Therefor those who would be looking me up on FB, "friending" me, and wanting to reunite and rekindle an old friendship/relationship.. Well.. They're obviously people I really have no interest in having in my life for one reason or another..;)

Believe me I get that FB has its good and I fully can appreciate that.. From afar with my lil ol "fake" FB acct that I created just so I could follow the FB links posted here at WS:)

I couldn't live without Facebook. I have nothing on my account that my husband can't see and his, likewise.

I have a son, daughter-in-law and 3 grand children living in the Philippines, a daughter and son-in-law and 1 grand child living in Pennsylvania, all who I speak to via Facebook and skype.

Also have a huge family scattered all over Texas and Oklahoma that I stay in touch with. My 86 year old Dad activity uses Facebook and 4 sisters that I talk to daily. I guess you could call me an addict!

I do see where it could cause many problems. My husband and I have been married 46 years (yes, I am old) LOL and completely devoted to each other, I am very fortunate, so far, that we all have remained civil!

Just my 2 cents!

I had a FB account but deleted it. I now cannot see any FB links that is posted here on WS. I don't want FB that shows all my information out there. I have no clue how to set up a fake account just for WS. When you delete your FB account it never really is deleted. I don't like that at all.

I do have to admit, I have chatted with the neighbors' dog via FB. :blushing:

Who else would talk to me in-depth about squirrels? :floorlaugh:

JMO

I have a few fakies. So what.. Who cares :) Thanks to yahoo for the emails lol. I'm so curious of what my kids will grow up to see... Will fb still be around. Hopefully texting through blue tooth will be more wide spread!

Ok, since we're on the subject, I have a question.

How in the heck do you make "fake" facebook accounts? I used to have one until...well, lets just say I need to not have a facebook because I don't want some certain people locating me. I tried to make a fake one after I deleted my real account (and boy, deleting my real account took an act of congress) and it STILL found "people I should follow" and it alerted people I know to follow me!

I'd love to have a fake one simply to follow stuff that happens around here, but I don't know how and I need to stay anonymous.

I only have one & could easily do without it but then what would I waste time on? Housework? lol

The way I see it is this ... people who start ridiculous arguments or cheat on their partner are going to do it at some point with someone regardless. FB is just a means to an end for them.

How in the heck do you make "fake" facebook accounts? I used to have one until...well, lets just say I need to not have a facebook because I don't want some certain people locating me. I tried to make a fake one after I deleted my real account (and boy, deleting my real account took an act of congress) and it STILL found "people I should follow" and it alerted people I know to follow me!

I'd love to have a fake one simply to follow stuff that happens around here, but I don't know how and I need to stay anonymous.

Just create a facebook account using a email address that you rarely use. (I have a email address that I use specifically for signing up for things, so I know a lot of spam will end up there... and it does!) I use my first name and a different last name (My mothers maiden) on my "fake" profile. I don't use a picture of myself... just a pretty picture I took of a sunset. You don't have to add any friends if you don't want to. I only have a few on that facebook account for the games I play...and as a result of me posting on photos on pages that I liked.

You can use the page, comment on stories, follow and like pages but still be anon...

I was just thinking about this the other day. The percentage I guesstimated was much higher than what they reported in the article. Many people have multiple fake accounts for game playing. Then you have other fake ones for people that wish to live two lives. The ones I hate the most are the evil ones that pop up to bully others among other things. There are pedophile and child *advertiser censored* pages that are created and zombie pages created for dead and missing children.

I said a while ago they need a user verification system but I don't see that happening because it would be to costly and time consuming.

I use FB mainly for my advocacy. I love it because I can keep everything in one place and stay up to date on current events and network with others that advocate against crime. I have a group that I have created for my area so that network with other survivors that want to take action.

I found you anyway. :snooty:

Create a hotmail address using a fake name and then create a fb page. I had two. :p

I have 3 fake ones, and 1 real one. I use one of the fake ones 95% of the time.

Making a fake one is easy. Just make a email address solely for validating your fake facebook page. You're fake facebook page can have any name on it. You don't have to add any info, or pics. This way you can see public facebook pages that are linked on here. That is what I don't get about people saying they 'don't have one'.

I couldn't live without Facebook. I have nothing on my account that my husband can't see and his, likewise.

I have a son, daughter-in-law and 3 grand children living in the Philippines, a daughter and son-in-law and 1 grand child living in Pennsylvania, all who I speak to via Facebook and skype.

Also have a huge family scattered all over Texas and Oklahoma that I stay in touch with. My 86 year old Dad activity uses Facebook and 4 sisters that I talk to daily. I guess you could call me an addict!

I do see where it could cause many problems. My husband and I have been married 46 years (yes, I am old) LOL and completely devoted to each other, I am very fortunate, so far, that we all have remained civil!

Just my 2 cents!

That is exactly the way I do it. Anyone who is listed as my friends can come and see what I post there including my husband. I post nothing I wouldnt say in person to anyone. In fact my hubby and I love to send posts back and forth to each other. Its fun.

We have five children and their spouses. Three of our children live out of town and we also have 12 grandchildren and some are old enough to have FB pages and dont mind at all if their Nannie :) comes in and post to them and they post to me too just about everyday.:woohoo: This is one of the ways we keep up with them and their activities although we are always talking by phone too. I love to see all the new pics they put on their page.

I have never had one problem with FB. I dont befriend anyone I dont know personally anyway.

I did know that some set up bogus accounts but its so obvious most of the time. I saw one who's name is supposed to be Whiffle Ball and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that was a made up name.:floorlaugh:

If FB is aware of it then why do they let it continue? So that it will appear they have more members than they really do?

IMO

I have 3 fake ones, and 1 real one. I use one of the fake ones 95% of the time.

Making a fake one is easy. Just make a email address solely for validating your fake facebook page. You're fake facebook page can have any name on it. You don't have to add any info, or pics. This way you can see public facebook pages that are linked on here. That is what I don't get about people saying they 'don't have one'.

Im just starting to read this thread but why would anyone want to deceive someone and make up a fake name?

Why cant you just read it by using your correct name so you can see the public links and why three fake names?

Just curious.

As for me personally it just goes against who I am. I would never go under a fake name when the account is suppose to be set up in the real name of the person who joins FB.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back