family in shock after receiving anonymous hate letter about young boy with autism

I don't have enough information yet to have an opinion, but the family isn't shy about telling their story so I think if there was more than the letter and the ball they would have said so.
Well then the ball makes it a second attack, IMO

My favorite line of the letter is, "Nobody wants you living here but they don't have the guts to tell you!!!"

And this ANONYMOUS letter-writer really showed how bad-*advertiser censored* and brave they are, didn't they?

Well then the ball makes it a second attack, IMO

I'm not comfortable with stretching the definition of the word "attack" that far, especially since a dog could have chewed up the ball, and the family ASKED people (via writing on the ball) for it to be thrown back.

I'm not comfortable with stretching the definition of the word "attack" that far, especially since a dog could have chewed up the ball, and the family ASKED people (via writing on the ball) for it to be thrown back.

By looking at the ball you'd be able to tell if it was ripped apart by a dog or cut with scissors by a human.

Durham Regional Police said they are investigating the letter, however, it appears at this point there is no evidence of criminality. Investigators are working with the Crown to find out if there may be.

“We’re taking it very seriously and investigating,” said police spokesman said Jodi MacLean.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/19/autistic-teen-target-of-vicious-letter

I think the person was very careful not to write anything that could lead to a specific charge. JMO

i honestly cant see who or how a family would benefit from a fake letter? Its not like the family is getting money from the community or anything now.

Yes the family IS benefiting from the letter. The neighborhood is now rallying around their son, having little block parties him etc....

If...just if....perhaps a close neighbor who works nights asked if they could keep the noise down, or maybe even gave them a disparaging look....and they decided it was so unfair and other neighbors might be annoyed too etc....

An over the top letter like that going public have forced the neighborhood to rally in support behind the family. The family is now saying they and the neighborhood are trying to "root out" the evil letter writer. Any neighbors that had issues with the noise (and the issues may have been legitimate depending on how bad it was) would be too intimidated to dare voice a concern ever again.

Yes the family IS benefiting from the letter. The neighborhood is now rallying around their son, having little block parties him etc....

If...just if....perhaps a close neighbor who works nights asked if they could keep the noise down, or maybe even gave them a disparaging look....and they decided it was so unfair and other neighbors might be annoyed too etc....

An over the top letter like that going public have forced the neighborhood to rally in support behind the family. The family is now saying they and the neighborhood are trying to "root out" the evil letter writer. Any neighbors that had issues with the noise (and the issues may have been legitimate depending on how bad it was) would be too intimidated to dare voice a concern ever again.

I see nothing wrong with the neighborhood supporting the victims of a hateful, intimidating, menacing threat to one of their neighbors. IMO it's called the "right thing to do"

I see nothing wrong with the neighborhood supporting the victims of a hateful, intimidating, menacing threat to one of their neighbors. IMO it's called the "right thing to do"

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the neighbors going to extremes to show their support.

All I did was answer another posters question regarding "what could the family have to gain by this".

I have to say something about this letter is making me feel uneasy. I just am not sure I believe this whole story. I don't know why I feel that but it is sitting heavy for me.

I may be wrong.. I have been before but something about the letter when I read it, just makes my sherlock holmes activate.

The only thing that's striking me as odd about this letter is the fact that it was sent through the post. While the contents of the letter are disgusting, the way it was done is almost quaint - don't people with that mentality get their kicks trolling peoples' facebook pages in this day and age?

I'm not sure the grandma has a fb account.

I know the area and experienced this type of behaviour first hand on my street in a nearby town. People are not tolerant of many things i.e. cultures, sexuality, differences of any kind. I'm not shocked that someone could send a letter like this in the mail, I'm upset by the content as the aunt of a boy with severe autism. JMO

I can't even fathom the mentality of someone who would send hate mail to the family of an autistic child. Probably the same type of person who drowns kittens for fun.

To me, this is a mentally disturbed, very angry person. I worry about her kids (or his).

i honestly cant see who or how a family would benefit from a fake letter? Its not like the family is getting money from the community or anything now.

I agree. But I think some posters are thinking about the cases where troubled people make stuff up like cancer or gender bashing incidents (like the totally crazy woman who pretended recently that her son wore a headband to Walmart and a man snapped it off his head and slapped him), in order to get attention.

I did not get that vibe at all, however, from the parents or grandma in this case. They seem pretty genuine and upset in both radio and tv interviews. Also, the type of person who wants attention would have more than they need if dealing with their own, special needs child. They could play the martyr all day long without having to resort to crazy letter writing, because having a child with special needs is insanely difficult and most of the world understands and empathizes with that.

My ever-skeptical nature is compelled to mention this: Canada is notoriously cold. This happened is a fairly new housing development, right?

How exactly does one slide a letter beneath a weather-proofed door? (At least one account I've seen states the letter was slid underneath the door.)

It was not slid under the door. It was placed in the mail slot where everyone goes from the complex to pick up their mail. You know those units that look like P.O. boxes?

I wonder if the person who wrote is not a mother, but making it look like one. I would suspect a neighbor is behind it.

It's possible. But I do believe it is a parent. And I think there are some pretty evil women and mothers out there capable of such a thing.

The only thing that's striking me as odd about this letter is the fact that it was sent through the post. While the contents of the letter are disgusting, the way it was done is almost quaint - don't people with that mentality get their kicks trolling peoples' facebook pages in this day and age?

The minute I heard the letter (on the radio), I thought this is likely a person who also trolls on the internet.

I just read a story about internet trolls and how the trolls willing to be interviewed included professional women and men who fancy themselves to be quite intelligent. It kind of surprised me that it wasn't just teenage boys or young men writing from their mama's basements. I think these types are powerless, lonely and desperately bitter people.

But whoever wrote this letter is a nut.

Karma is a wonderful thing....I hope the letter writer is ready for it!!!!

It's possible. But I do believe it is a parent. And I think there are some pretty evil women and mothers out there capable of such a thing.

I would not be surprised if a parent did write it too. I do not think that person is not that old. I would guess under the age of 40. I have seen many evil women and mothers; Yoselyn Ortega, Lori Drew, Antoinette Davis, Casey Anthony, Melissa Huckaby, Gertrude Baniszewski, Diane Downs, etc.

I got so angry when I read this letter the other day. The writer needs a wake up call, no kid is normal. I just can't even imagine how someone can be so cold and evil about a child. Outside, is outside noise. Dogs bark, kids scream, the day goes on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back