Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't it her pastor who cancelled the fund raiser? I'd have to find the link, but I remember there was a fundraiser scheduled at the church, but it was cancelled, I think, the 29th? I thought that was the right thing to do, and I think you're right about his being key to helping this mother begin to accept and try to heal.

I believe it was canceled because they had raised enough at .com

I believe that is in the previous thread somewhere.

The link to Mr. Dolan's blog entry stating this is on the first few pages of the thread.

My prayer is that either the mother will come to her senses, with help of family and pastor, or that Jahi will pass on (or I guess stop breathing) on her own.
I am also Christian, of Baptist faith, and our belief is that to be absent from the body is to be present with God. What more could a person want? Jahi is already there.
I am hopeful that God will speak to the mothers heart, or Jahi will come to her in a dream, something to ease her mind so that she can finish this course. Alot of people have become involved in this matter, I wonder if the mother can see past all that, and look at her daughter? And what is best.
I will be praying for the mother, her other children, and the family.

The link to Mr. Dolan's blog entry stating this is on the first few pages of the thread.

The only thing I have seen is that their were barricades put up around the outside of the hospital in preparation for a public and media frenzy.

Maybe there was a limit placed on how many people could be there at the time, I don't know.

As far as the attorney goes, he continues to lie to the public, so I don't believe one iota of information that comes out of his mouth.

thread #1

thread #2

Continue discussion here...

Mod notes:

*If a statement of fact or a claim is being posted then be prepared to substantiate with a link if it is challenged. Otherwise, state clearly it is your opinion...Post in a respectful and civil manner. Personalized posts attacking others will be removed...Moreover, please steer clear of bringing race into the discussion...

:bump:

IMO, the court system should never have been involved at all. I don't know how one can look at the irrefutable facts of her medical status and wish to prolong it. I admire faith. In this case, I don't know how much is about faith and how much is about denial.

BBM
At this point I would also add how much of this is now the agenda of others who have inserted themselves into what has become a circus.

My thoughts on what will happen if Jahi's heart does cease to function while at CHO:

CHO will be accused of not providing nutrition and that will be their vocal point for why Jahi's heart stopped. They will be accused of "killing" her by not providing nutrition, even though she is legally already deceased.

"If" CHO does remove the vent, then they will also be accused of killing her.

This all plays on the heart strings of the public that are not informed. The attorney and family are already using these words, in preparation for the above events that I have mentioned.

Even though the attorney can "try", these actions won't "fly" in the future court proceedings. They will only fly with a particular portion of the public.

Whether they are accused of it or not, legally they are pretty well covered because 1) Jahi has been legally declared dead in court 2) Several courts have denied the family's request for them to compel CHO to insert the feeding tube. 3) The current (and initial) TRO only requires for them
to maintain the status quo.

The only thing I have seen is that their were barricades put up around the outside of the hospital in preparation for a public and media frenzy.

Maybe there was a limit placed on how many people could be there at the time, I don't know.

As far as the attorney goes, he continues to lie to the public, so I don't believe one iota of information that comes out of his mouth.

Here's the quote:

You see, Children’s had fortified itself to carry out its plan of execution. It had cleared out the family from the waiting room, tripled the security, barricaded the front doors and had its plan in place to come into Jahi’s room and turn off a switch that would stop the ventilator and, within a minute or two, Jahi’s heart. Nailah was sitting, praying, as if she were on death row. When I reached her and told her of the stay, I heard her sob, “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” She said, “I love my daughter. She’s a good girl, she doesn’t deserve to die.”

eta: and here's the sentence right before the quote above: "When I heard the ruling, my body shuddered with relief. Because at that same time, Nailah Winkfield, Jahi’s mother, sat at Children’s Hospital Oakland praying for time."

Seems clear to me the mother was at the hospital. Probably in Jahi's room. The family was cleared from the waiting room, but who knows where they were cleared to. More spin imo

Here is a link to the article the poster asked for, with a quote pulled by me:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfranci...ht-over-jahi-mcmaths-life/Content?oid=2663281

"You see, Children’s had fortified itself to carry out its plan of execution. It had cleared out the family from the waiting room, tripled the security, barricaded the front doors and had its plan in place to come into Jahi’s room and turn off a switch that would stop the ventilator and, within a minute or two, Jahi’s heart. Nailah was sitting, praying, as if she were on death row. When I reached her and told her of the stay, I heard her sob, “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” She said, “I love my daughter. She’s a good girl, she doesn’t deserve to die.”"

- Christopher B. Dolan

I have not read every post on the new thread so if I apologize in advance if this has been discussed. Jahi has been declared legally deceased and CHO is requiring the consent of the coroner to move her. The family may not legally be allowed under CA health code laws to take her home since under the law she is considered a corpse.

I think all sides share fault here, especially the fault of making this into a sideshow and having it deteriorate to the point where it has become about anything other than Jahi.

And although Mr. Dolan's blog entry was surely intended to elicit public sympathy, it makes me extremely uncomfortable as a parent if the family was indeed cleared and then barred by a barricade and security from being with Jahi when CHO was due to turn the vent off due to the expiration of the initial TRO on December 30th. I don't care what the situation was, it NEVER should have gotten to that point.

I am just not sure Jahi can be considered a corpse. Definitions of the word corpse indicate one with complete cessation of all bodily functions, including heartbeat. I don't know that I have ever heard of a ventilated corpse either.

Here's the quote:

You see, Children’s had fortified itself to carry out its plan of execution. It had cleared out the family from the waiting room, tripled the security, barricaded the front doors and had its plan in place to come into Jahi’s room and turn off a switch that would stop the ventilator and, within a minute or two, Jahi’s heart. Nailah was sitting, praying, as if she were on death row. When I reached her and told her of the stay, I heard her sob, “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” She said, “I love my daughter. She’s a good girl, she doesn’t deserve to die.”

So the hospital took security measures to protect the other patients, staff and family. Of course they did!! It says nothing in that statement of no one being allowed in the room with Jahi when the ventiliator was removed.

".... Children's had fortified itself to carry out it's plan if execution. It had cleared the family from the waiting room, tripled the security, barricaded the front doors..."

Read more: http://m.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisc...ht-over-jahi-mcmaths-life/Content?oid=2663281

Obviously the part about "execution" is grandstanding but IMO if Children's indeed did this, it makes me extremely uncomfortable and sad as a parent.

The way this case has unfolded, something tells me that the situation could have been handled better at the outset (when Jahi bled out). I get the feeling that a hush hush was going on as is common when something very bad happens in a hospital. When working in the NICU, it was very hard to just say the baby died and what lead to the death, but you would be surprised how well families handled this news when they were given information that they could understand. I have had to do that many times.

".... Children's had fortified itself to carry out it's plan if execution. It had cleared the family from the waiting room, tripled the security, barricaded the front doors..."

Read more: http://m.sfexaminer.com/sanfrancisc...ht-over-jahi-mcmaths-life/Content?oid=2663281

Obviously the part about "execution" is grandstanding but IMO if Children's indeed did this, it makes me extremely uncomfortable and sad as a parent.

which part of the sentence is troubling? Nowhere does it say that the family, especially the mother, was not in the hospital or was barred from the room. jmo

Because her mothers religious belief is that death occurs when her child's heart stops beating. She also believes in the power or prayer and miracles.

I don't agree with her belief, I believe in her protected right to it.

Personally, I believe is she's dug her feet in and rather than admit to herself her child is gone. She's using the defense mechanism "avoidance"
I don't believe she should be bashed for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stages of grief! Unbelievably painful to go through.

Here is a link to the article the poster asked for, with a quote pulled by me:

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sanfranci...ht-over-jahi-mcmaths-life/Content?oid=2663281

"You see, Children’s had fortified itself to carry out its plan of execution. It had cleared out the family from the waiting room, tripled the security, barricaded the front doors and had its plan in place to come into Jahi’s room and turn off a switch that would stop the ventilator and, within a minute or two, Jahi’s heart. Nailah was sitting, praying, as if she were on death row. When I reached her and told her of the stay, I heard her sob, “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” She said, “I love my daughter. She’s a good girl, she doesn’t deserve to die.”"

- Christopher B. Dolan

Are Chris Dolan's tears all over the paper? I assume he would be going for the maximum melodrama with a statement like that.

Oh I hope so too. 25 days no nutrition. It would seem that organs would some functioning. When my husband's kidney starting failing with out knowing what was happening to his body as the process was happening we could see the changes to his body as it was happening. To the point of a waxy substance coming out of his back that you could feel like small bumps. It was the toxins coming out of his body that the failed kidneys couldn't do. He now has a new (transplant) kidney, thanks to his sister being a match. So yes I am interested in how her other organs can not be failing.

o/t I watched bette davis's dick cavett (1971)interview just yesterday.

Jahi may be receiving nutrition via an IV solution called TPN (total parenteral nutrition) and Lipids. Long term use will cause liver damage.

One of the nicest things I have read on twitter imo... At times letting go is the hardest thing. No one should bury a child. But if the brain is gone, the soul is home. #acceptance

So the hospital took security measures to protect the other patients, staff and family. Of course they did!! It says nothing in that statement of no one being allowed in the room with Jahi when the ventiliator was removed.

Of course they did and good for them. These people seem to conveniently forget that Children's has HUNDREDS of other live patients whose care is priority.Live patients who are entitled to a PEACEFUL place to recover from what ails them.

I am sure he did not mean it that way but it kinda sounds like they wouldn't consider fighting against the definition of brain death because of their religious convictions if she was, say, badly burned and didn't look like herself any more.

Perhaps this statement illustrates one reason why the determination of death is usually thought to be a job for qualified doctors, not for distressed family members who may make decisions based on arbitrary criteria.

:tyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member