Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
the study includes that as one of the several causes of death after the surgery.

Sorry, I corrected my post. I had to read it three times. :)
I don't have a medical background my knowledge is limited to A&P 1+2 and Human Biology 101 and one micro biology course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oakland 8th Grader "Brain Dead" After Tonsillectomy | NBC Bay Area
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Oakland-8th-Grader-Brain-Dead-After-236015681.html

He said the scene was gruesome. “She was coughing up buckets of blood,” he said.

At the same time, Sealey said it appeared to the family as though the nursing staff had vanished during what seemed to be a shift change. In the family's minds, there didn't seem to be enough hospital staff in the room to help. The family started suctioning blood themselves; Jahi's grandmother, Sandra Chatman, is a nurse at another hospital.

“A 13-year-old should not have to suction herself,” Sealey said. “She had to use a suction machine to suction her own blood. Her mother and stepfather had to suction out her blood at points. None of them work for this hospital.”
=======================================================

red flags?/

Ami wrong or does this have nothing to do with severe hemorrhage?

Oops, never mind. I was wrong. Had to read it like three times...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has to do with severe hemorrhage, but the respiratory recommendations have to do with the cases that were complicated by apnea, not homorrhage. No doubt, that disctinction will be lost on the blogger, imo.

Info here, which I think is very understandable for non-medical people:
Yankauer suction tip - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, SeekingJana! I did read this article back when I was googling about it during the last thread. The Google diagrams were also impressive. Made me glad once again not to be professionally responsible for life and death manuevers with this. o_O

PS. No, not this one--one similar...

Excellent information. Clearly why Jahi's care team had her staying overnight in PICU following her surgery. They were cautious professionals. Interesting that the surveys were sent to and completed by anesthesiologists rather than surgeons.

Thanks for posting that!

I have since discovered that she underwent a high-risk surgery in which death and permanent neurologic injury occurred in 86 out of 111 cases (77%) reported in a recent study. See: Cote CJ, Posner KL, Domino KB. Death or Neurologic Injury After Tonsillectomy in Children with a Focus on Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Houston, We Have a Problem! (Anesth Analg 2013 Jul 10). http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23842193

The authors recommend respiratory monitoring throughout first and second stage recovery.

http://frederickleatherman.com/2014/01/03/liability-issues-for-the-death-of-jahi-mcmath/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veryinterested68