Farmworker who discovered suitcase to get reward

Discussion in 'Sandra Cantu' started by r0tflcopter, May 5, 2009.

1. r0tflcopter

r0tflcopter New Member

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=6796245

well good for him :clap:

also:

LA Psychic Makes Claim On Cantu Reward Money

http://www.ktvu.com/news/19339071/detail.html
    not sure what to think about this..

2. Loading...

3. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

Good for him. The farmworker deserves it, the psychic doesn't! She didn't report her findings to the police, she claimed Sandra was in a "canyon", and her visions didn't lead to finding Sandra's body!!! Just someone who wants her 15 min. of fame.:mad:

4. Schmerty_Jones

Schmerty_Jones ________________ Even if you're on the right

Farmworker, You deserve this reward
    Psychic, Inappropriate! :(
    God bless Sandra & her family.

5. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

Ths psychic just incanted and babbled, she didn't find Sandra, the farm worker physically found the suitcase. He deserves the reward. Even if he didn't open the suitcase, he had to of known what it was and been very traumatized by the whole thing.

6. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

Thats an awful lot of money I wish some could be set aside for Sandra's siblings. They have a very long road to recovery

7. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

You know, I've had it up to here with these people, between the trolls and psychics coming out of the woodwork in the Brittanee Drexel case and the thousands of useless and rediculous tips called into crime stoppers and LE in the Anthony case. Sure it's obvious what tips should and shouldn't be followed up on, but someone had to work the phones, sort through the emails and retrieve the faxes. How is a legit tip supposed to get through with that kind of mess clogging up the resources?

8. raindrops300

raindrops300 New Member

IIRC there is a separate fund set up for the Cantu/Chavez family.

9. daisy.faithfull

daisy.faithfull RIP Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joey Jr.

I hear you! I'm actually not a total disbeliever in psychics, and I do belive that some of them are the real thing. :cow: is that women like this make legit psychics look bad. I really do think there are WAY to many people that KNOWINGLY call in tips (psychic and otherwise) they know are false.

Its sickening, the couple of seconds it takes for a wacko to make a call translates to LE having to deal with one more obstacle to finding these kids. To those kids even a few seconds can be the difference between life and death!

I came to Websleuth's AFTER little Kaylee Anthony was found. As I read through everything, Astro thread included, that was posted BEFORE Kaylee was found I was amazed at how many Websleuthers were saying things that matched up with where she eventually was found. I haven't heard of any Websleuthers trying to claim reward money.

:confused: Is this woman trying to use the media attention paid to everything about Sandra's case to gain client's, people with missing loved one's she is going to exploit, what's the deal? :mad:

10. Elphaba

Elphaba Defying Gravity...

A-freaking-men!

Being as taxpayers fund every aspect of LE, it is OUR money being wasted to deal with such useless tips. Look at Caylee's case: if I remember correctly, the LE tipline handled a ridiculous amount of psychic tips...

11. BeanE

BeanE Inactive

From the article:

Tracy police say they never had any contact with Pedlow and didn't use any information from psychics during the investigation.

Some people have no shame, and an extraordinary amount of greed. It is so hard for me to understand.

12. swanniee11

swanniee11 Well-Known Member

well... If she were any good, she would have already known that she wasn't getting the $...

13. concentric

concentric New Member

It will follow, I think, that the farmworker, just like the meter reader in the Casey Anthony case, will be accused by the defense of being the real murderer.

14. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

Thousands, IIRC.

15. arielilane

arielilane Justice for Morgan

The farmworker who found the suitcase absolutely deserves the reward funds. jmo:clap: In addition, it was a smart move on his part not to open it.

16. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

By Elizabeth Croisetiere
    San Joaquin Herald
    Posted: 05/07/2009 12:15:01 PM PDT
    Updated: 05/07/2009 12:22:41 PM PDT

TRACY — In a private ceremony this morning, a Tracy farm worker was presented with more $20,000 in reward money from the Carole Sund/Carrington Foundation for discovering a suitcase which contained the body of a missing 8-year-old Tracy girl.
    Jose Luis Franco, 40, who on April 6 found the suitcase floating in a pond he was working at, initially declined the reward, saying he wanted the money to be given to Sandra Cantu's family. However, because of the foundation's bylaws, the money must go directly to him.
    Scott Webb, executive director of the foundation, said there are no restrictions on how the money can be spent, and Franco has indicated it will go toward his children's education.
    On Wednesday Tracy police issued a press release inviting the media to a public ceremony to honor Franco while he received his reward, but this morning, 30 minutes before the ceremony was scheduled to begin, they announced that he had opted for a private ceremony. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/news/ci_12317724

17. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090508/A_NEWS/905080394/-1/A_NEWS

'Most terrible day in our lives'
    Tracy man, his wife heartbroken by his discovery of suitcase with Sandra Cantu's body inside

Interesting article I recommend it.

18. daisy.faithfull

daisy.faithfull RIP Joey, Summer, Gianni & Joey Jr.

Thank you for the article, Kat. I've been so stunned with my own reaction to Sandra's death and the circumstances surrounding it, that I never considered the horrible nightmare it must have been for the worker that discovered her. I've just assumed that he saw the suitcase. Seeing it is one thing but trying to pull it from the water really is another. It is difficult for LE, but they are unfortunately prepared to deal with these tragedies-- and they don't get paid enough for what they endure on a day to day basis.

Mr. Franco was not looking for public attention or fame like a certain <ahem> bounty hunter <ahem> who's name I won't mention <ahem> except to say it rhymes with casadilla <ahem> <ahem>. Its possible that he had much more to lose than he had to gain. You can't put a monitary value on what he did.

19. SeekingJana

SeekingJana Well-Known Member

I know it's trite to say this after not reading this thread before now, but I am so glad that the reward went to the person who found the suitcase/ body.
    He had to be overcome by the smell, and sick at heart later by the outcome.

I hope his children all receive a college education and grow up to be wonderful productive adults. He and they deserve the best out of this horrific tragedy.