Fast Food Ice Dirtier Than Toilet Water

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by deanws, Feb 25, 2006.

1. deanws

deanws Former Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Feb. 20, 2006 — Jasmine Roberts never expected her award-winning middle school science project to get so much attention. But the project produced some disturbing results: 70 percent of the time, ice from fast food restaurants was dirtier than toilet water.

The 12-year-old collected ice samples from five restaurants in South Florida — from both self-serve machines inside the restaurant and from drive-thru windows. She then collected toilet water samples from the same restaurants and tested all of them for bacteria at the University of South Florida.

In several cases, the ice tested positive for E. coli bacteria, which comes from human waste and has been linked to several illness outbreaks across the country.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=1641825&page=1

2. Loading...

3. lilpony

lilpony New Member

:sick: OMG...That is so nasty. Eeeeeeeeeww!! Another reason not to eat at fast food restaurants, gross. I wonder how nasty the water is in regular restaurants. :eek:

4. izzyB

izzyB Inactive

once there were 4 of us that got sicker than dirty. we had been to a wyatt's cafeteria for lunch (long time ago). the only thing we all consumed in common was the ice in our various drinks.

the ice maker in our refrig is ancient and i know there is mold growing in there, so i make our ice cubes in trays and use bottled water. we do not eat out much anyway and this is just another reason to eat at home.

5. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

We use bottled water too and never even hooked up the ice maker........

6. Becba

Becba Former Member

We had an ice machine at work and it did mildew, We domped all the ice and cleaned the machine. Perhaps the eating establishments did not do that.

Our policy was clean everything everyday.

7. jilly

jilly Registered User

We only had our icemaker working for about 4 months and the ice had a weird taste so I had it disconnected.

8. Marthatex

Marthatex New Member

You mean my coke that I got at Wendy's yesterday..... :eek:

I never even thought about ice; just assumed it was fresh.

How many things do I have to worry about every day??? I might as well just stay under the bed.

9. tybee204

tybee204 Administrator

LOL If you add enough Bacardi to the coke it will kill any bacteria in the ice.

10. Marthatex

Marthatex New Member

Really?????

11. mic730

mic730 Former Member

OMG that is too funny! :D

12. Paradise

Paradise Member

:sick: That's so gross, but I bet they never clean the insides of their ice machines. Also, the self serve ones don't have automatic ice-makers, they bring out ice in buckets to fill the machines and I often wondered how clean those buckets were to begin with.

13. eve

eve New Member

Anybody know if purchased bagged ice is better?

Eve

14. tybee204

tybee204 Administrator

Most convienence stores bag there own ice out of the same machines they use for sodas etc.

15. eve

eve New Member

What about those ice machines? Aren't they serviced by an ice company/provider? I wonder if they are as dirty!

Eve

16. jubie

jubie Former Member

Ewwww. :sick: We don't eat out very often but when we camp and stop at little places along our way my kids always say no ice just so they get more pop... I'm thinking thta was a good thing.

17. Paradise

Paradise Member

Just think about those ice machines, if the water is dirty then there's going to be bacteria and all kinds of good stuff growing on the inside of them. This defintely made me more aware, next time I go to McDonald's I'll tell them no ice please.

18. deanws

deanws Former Member

I ALWAYS say that. Sometimes they do it anyway....and I shove it right back at them...and tell them I want a new cup as well. :D If they refuse, I get my money back and go some place else. I