Fidel Castro resigns

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by lorelei, Feb 19, 2008.

1. lorelei

lorelei New Member

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/02/19/castro/index.html

"Fidel Castro announced his resignation as president of Cuba and commander-in-chief of Cuba's military on Tuesday, according to a letter published in the state-run newspaper, Granma."

I wonder what it looks like on the streets of Miami right now?:)

2. Loading...

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

I saw this earlier and was rather shocked. I say good riddance! Although Raul isn't doing much better, maybe the world will be more willing to interact with him, if he remains in power. I am disappointed that Castro was never overthrown, however. He can say he outlasted everyone and everything. I still say good riddance.

4. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

5. Ticamom

Ticamom Former Member

:woohoo: :woohoo: FINALLY !!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

6. Trino

Trino Active Member

While I don't subscribe to Communism, actually several times Castro has taken on the US Government and has come out on top. I think his brother will now be in control and may be a bit harsher to deal with than Castro. You may want to keep your smile in place until we see the results. Castro out does not equate to Communism out.

7. Hiker

Hiker Long distance hiker

Amen,Raul will be much harder for the US to deal with IMO. I hope Raul is smart enough not to accept some serious cash to join with some of those who would just love to have a military presence very near the US border.

8. Paladin

Paladin Former Member

I'm always worried about the guy who will follow a person we as a country do not like. At least with Castro we knew what we were dealing with.

9. kgeaux

kgeaux New Member

Hmm. He announced it "according to a letter." I wonder if he is finally REALLY dead.

10. kato

kato New Member

That's what I say. Good riddance to BAD rubbish!

I've also heard his brother is waaaaaaay worse than him.

11. Trino

Trino Active Member

What's really interesting is the CNN headline, "Bush: Cuba should see the start of democratic transition." Is Bush living in LaLa Land?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/19/us.castro/index.html

Read the rest of the article:
    "Castro transferred powers to his brother Raúl after receiving treatment for intestinal problems in 2006. Raúl Castro is considered more pragmatic than his older brother but hasn't shown any inclination to invite the United States to launch a full-scale democratic push and overhaul of the country's institutions.

At least one activist in Miami, Florida, said Castro's resignation does not mean Cuba is any closer to democracy.

"It doesn't mean any change to the system. It doesn't mean there will be freedom for the Cubans. One big dictator is replacing the other," said Janisset Rivero, executive director of Cuban Democratic Directorate, which works with dissidents in Cuba."

12. philamena

philamena Former Member

Let's hope his brother is a better leader than Castro.

13. pixies

pixies Former Member

hahaha, I am sooo not gonna answer that! LOL.

Awhile back NPR had a show about this. They said that when Castro dies the US will loosen some of its laws regarding Cuba. I hope that is correct and we can all play nice together. I would love to visit there.

14. capps

capps New Member

I agree Paladin. I heard Fidels'brother is pretty ruthless.