Fieger Scandal

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Norma, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Norma

Norma Pook

http://www.wxyztv.com/wxyz/nw_local_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_15924_4229047,00.html

There were new developments, Thursday, in the scandal involving Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox and defense lawyer Geoffrey Fieger.

Wednesday, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox went public with an extramarital affair, claiming Attorney Geoffrey Fieger had threatened to expose it unless Cox stopped investigating Fieger for alleged illegal campaign contributions in the 2004 elections.

2. Loading...

3. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

Wow, blackmail.

4. Lili

Lili My opinion only.

:doh: :laugh: Mike Cox...

Right up there with Fanny Krach and Harry Hips. [​IMG]

5. Mabel

Mabel Former Member

Paging Mike Cox. Has anyone seen Mike Cox?

6. Norma

Norma Pook

I guess Cox's announcement was on TV, but I missed it. They said his wife was next to him, crying. People said it was horrible.

7. Norma

Norma Pook

This just in -

They may be filing charges against Fieger as early as tomorrow.

8. Mabel

Mabel Former Member

Charges for blackmail, or for inappropriate campaign funding?

9. Norma

Norma Pook

I think they said extortion. But I've yet to see any of this in print, and maybe they had it a little wrong when I watched the news (and hey, I was sort of trying to fall asleep when I heard it).

Other news:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/cgi-bin/article.pl?articleId=28289

Cox: Fieger associate threatened disclosure

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox said Wednesday that Lee O’Brien, an associate of attorney Geoffrey Fieger, threatened an extramarital affair of Cox’s would be disclosed if Cox did not stop investigating a $457,000 donation Fieger made during the 2004 Michigan Supreme Court races.

O’Brien could not be reached, but Fieger said he is not an associate.

Fieger said in a statement that “Cox’s false accusations against me underscore that he is not qualified to be in a position of trust.”

Cox is a Republican. Fieger, of Southfield-based Fieger, Fieger, Kenney & Johnson, announced in October an exploratory committee for the Democratic nomination for attorney general.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051113/OPINION01/511130637/1086/opinion

A shame: Sex, extortion accusations sully attorney general race

At its worst, politics makes citizens long for a cleansing shower. Somebody get the soap.

Last week, Michigan residents witnessed one of the tawdriest scenes ever to reach the state's political stage.

In one breath, Michigan's attorney general, a family-values Republican, admitted to having had an extramarital affair.

And before his tears could dry during a hastily-called press conference, Mike Cox said that controversial Michigan lawyer Geoffrey Fieger was at the root of Cox's confession; and that Fieger could be guilty of extortion and obstruction of justice.

Fieger, a possible Democrat for attorney general in 2006, is being investigated by Cox for alleged improper campaign donations in the 2004 Michigan Supreme Court election. Cox says that Fieger, through an associate, attempted to get Cox to drop the investigation by threatening to reveal Cox had had an affair. Fieger vehemently denies a connection to the threats.

If the allegations are proven true, Fieger could be found guilty of extortion and obstruction of justice. Oakland County law enforcement officials are investigating,

10. MrsMush99

MrsMush99 Former Member

ooooh this will be interesting.

11. Mabel

Mabel Former Member

No charges:

More at Click on Detroit