Fight to Keep Children Away From Child Killer Is Lost

shadowraiths

LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special
Staff member
Reaction score
Fight to Keep Children Away From Killer Is Lost
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 30, 2011

SEATTLE (AP) — Trisha Conlon’s motherly instinct seems reasonable: she does not want her teenage boys living with a woman who shot and killed her own daughters in their sleep 20 years ago.

But that will happen on Sunday because of a bizarre and convoluted custody dispute with her former husband, John P. Cushing Jr., a retired Marine fighter pilot.

Mr. Cushing, who lives on Vashon Island south of Seattle, is back together with his first wife, Kristine, who used a .38-caliber handgun to kill their daughters, who were 4 and 8, at their home in Orange County, Calif., in 1991.
Full article: click here

What happens if she goes "temporarily insane" again?

I have no words....first, how the father could even THINK of remarrying the murderer, and second how any family court judge could consider thinking it's OK to leave children anywhere near her! :waitasec:

I just read this story on msnbc.com. Talk about nuts!! First of all, this lady is a killer. Secondly, I can't believe the fact that the father had his kids lie to their mother about who they were living with wasn't enough for the judge to rule in the mom's favor.

I hope Trisha Conlon can get her boys back.

this is an awful ruling. I'm not sure I could send my kid -

I would have thought after the FCA case that anyone involved in making decisions regarding the safety of children would use common sense. The judge states that he would not leave his own children with her but that that would be an emotional decision and he should not rule based on emotion - ok well how about ruling based on common sense. Has she spent any significant time with children since she murdered her own children?? Perhaps some sort of SUPERVISED plan be put in place until the boys are older???

I'm planning on writing a letter to the judge on this case and plead with him to re-consider adding additional precautions. Any suggestions of anyone else I should cc my letter to would be greatly appreciated.

Start with the President of the USA, then move on to the state senator and representative. After that, the attorney general and children's services. After that, Gloria Allred, the ACLU, Mark Klass, and every organization devoted to children.

The powers that be may think this woman is cured, but would anyone want their own children with her for any length of time? Good grief, she MURDERED her own kids, can any child be safe with her?

That's a very scary situation indeed.

Considering the circumstances after reading the article about her being on Pozac at the time and the rehabilitation she has had, as well as Dad feeling safe with her around them. Which says a lot to me since he has horrifically lost his children at her hands already. I would let my kids stay.

No no no.... I would not let my kids stay, having a conversation with my DH about my kids at their dads...

I would take my kids and run, the husband believing in her would be tough but I would get over it pretty quickly.

I'm not gonna let my child swim in a lake if there is a shark in it on the off chance he won't get bit...

That's a very scary situation indeed.

Considering the circumstances after reading the article about her being on Pozac at the time and the rehabilitation she has had, as well as Dad feeling safe with her around them. Which says a lot to me since he has horrifically lost his children at her hands already. I would let my kids stay.

Do you actually have kids?

"In the meantime, Ms. Conlon will drop the boys off with the Cushings on Sunday, she said."

I don't think I'd be able to do it.

“Kristine M. Cushing is doing well,” he wrote. “She is busy, enjoys life and loves me and my sons.”

Mr. Cushing noted that he stored his guns at a friend’s home when he was not using them at a range. Ms. Cushing said in her own declaration that she loved Mr. Cushing’s sons “very much” and has “a good relationship with both of them.”

I wouldn't want any children that I love anywhere near me if I had previously snapped and killed some other children that I love.

I just really don't understand our insanity laws. It never made sense to me.
If someone is "insane" but did it, then instead of not guilty by reason of insanity they should be found "guilty but insane," IMO. Then such situation as this could be prevented.

i'd take my kids and run. I know its illegal but I'd run.

Oh my... never, ever would I knowingly drop my children off with my ex-husband who has remarried his ex-wife who murdered their children... insanity plea or not. I'd run and never look back! I know it's illegal, but so what... keeping my children safe would be my top priority. I pray the court does the right thing and prevents the children from being around this woman.

This is so wrong on so many levels. I have been on prozac for 20 + years and it hasn't made me crazy. I have 5 kids, 4 that I raised on my own which in itself could make a person crazy I suppose, but never once feel an urge to kill them.

Okay so a person can have a bad reaction to medication and lets just say she did. What if she has a bad reaction to some other meds at some point? We all have to take med for one thing or another even if just antibiotics. The docs keep prescribing new stuff all the time as new meds come out. That's just my first thought.

Why did this husband divorce her in the first place. Did he think she was crazy and now he really believes she isn't? Why does he store his guns somewhere else now? Is the wife forbidden to be around guns but can be around children? Why will he keep his kids around her but not his guns? Does he think the guns killed his daughters? Without guns she's not crazy? What the hell?

How will the judge feel if she goes crazy again?

ETA sorry to be so emotional...

There should be no question since he lied about living with/remarrying this woman that HE have supervised visitation. He told his children to lie to their mother! That is not a good parent. This judge needs some psychiatric help himself. jmo

While I cannot judge Ms. Conlon's ex-husband for going back to his first wife, I CAN judge him for putting Ms. Conlon in this awful position with the children he had with her. It is wrong to force her to send their boys to a situation that a reasonable person would be afraid of. I am dismayed that the ex-husband could not do the reasonable thing which would be to make alternate arrangements to see his boys WITHOUT the first wife. (And WHY is she even out of jail when Andrea Yates is not?!?!) The judge's ruling is wrong, and he shows his ignorance by stating he would not allow his children to be in the first wife's presence but must take emotion out of his decision. I call BS on that. The law has MUCH emotion behind it because people FEEL the need to be protected from FEAR.

I want to write a letter of protest too.

This article is from The Los Angeles Times, October 1991, and indicates that John was in the process of divorcing Kristine when the killings occurred.

Calm Facade Belied Wife's Inner Storm : Killing: Kristine Cushing seemed an ideal traditional mother, but the stress of divorce and illness may have pushed her over the edge.
October 20, 1991|LESLIE BERKMAN and LYNN SMITH | TIMES STAFF WRITERS

"There was nothing, neighbors would say later, that signaled the inner torment that was gnawing away at the 39-year-old homemaker. It was only in retrospect that neighbors would recall that Kristine Cushing seemed to be gradually losing weight, and suffering from a chronic heart condition.

And it was only later that they would re-examine their conversations with Kristine Cushing regarding the breakup of her 17-year marriage.

The facade that was Kristine Cushing's life ended in violence shortly before midnight Oct. 13. Kristine Cushing--the model of the modern super mom--shot and killed her two daughters and then turned the gun on herself in an unsuccessful suicide attempt. Police said she later called 911 and told dispatchers what she had done."

and

"Although many of Kristine Cushing's neighbors may not have known, divorce records indicate that she was under a great deal of personal stress at home. She claimed in her divorce papers that her husband was provoking constant arguments.

"We have tried staying in different parts of the home, but this is not working at all," she said.

In addition, because of a heart virus, she said she had been hospitalized twice last year and was under the care of a cardiologist. Her attorneys said that over the past year she also had been counseled by a psychiatrist. The attorneys refused to disclose the reason for the treatment or what kind of drugs she might have been taking.

Kristine Cushing's depression, Kanarek said, probably was exacerbated by the stress of waiting so long for a reunion with her husband, who had served in the Persian Gulf War, only to find when he returned that their 17-year marriage was not going to last.

Divorce attorneys also say that the Cushing case illustrates the despair felt by many older mothers facing the increasingly frightening prospect of a failed marriage.

"There's a tremendous depression that happens with women, especially in some of the traditional marriages," said Mari Frank, a Mission Viejo attorney who specializes in divorce. "In a lot of cases, the male was the dominant one in the family and he continues to try to dominate in the divorce.""

It is quite a long article, and since it is contemporaneous with the initial incident, it is, in my opinion, quite revealing.

I think it is the husband that one needs to be most wary of.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back