Identified! Finland - Orivesi, woman found in forest, Apr'07 - Name withheld

There appears to be some very "obvious" links to the UK; the clothes and the "preference" for the English language. These would be easy to arrange as a "red herring" however. I find the piece of a page from a German passport more telling. You don't easily obtaing a piece from a page of someone's passport. I'm thinking German with an attempt to misdirect the search in the direction of the UK.

I believe there are means of measuring isotopes from the teeth (I believe) that can accuately tell were a person spent their childhood and where they spent their most resent adult years. This seem to be the direction the authorities should go.

About travelling in Europe, i believe some kind of ID is necessary. Not necessarily passport, but driving licence or ID cards are also acceptable, if you are EU citizen.

Well, as a matter of fact driving license is not valid travel document, only passport or id-card. But, for example, i have travelled between Finland and Estonia dozens of times in last two years and not once been asked any kind of documents.

Btw: I change those parts, about the coins and cigarettes.

I wouldn't think she is from Estonia or whatever, in 2007 so called new EU countries haven't joined the Schengen area yet.

Well, perhaps from a much bigger country than tiny Estonia, with lots of people, some are unaccounted for, nobody notices.:rolleyes:

My impression is that finnish police never investigated this case very actively, I do not think the body will be exhumed for isotope analysis, because this case obviously is not a top priority for the police.

They hope someone will come forward with the information about this person and the case is pretty much closed.

BTw is this website set up by police or by a private person?
How did you manage to get those pictures from the police?

About travelling in Europe, i believe some kind of ID is necessary. Not necessarily passport, but driving licence or ID cards are also acceptable, if you are EU citizen.

Russians need a visa to enter Finland, i believe possible russian origin was ruled out.

The police went through lots of recources, but her identity remains a mystery.

Like finns say, it seems that woman has fallen from the sky.

ah right, yep sorry--you are right. I think an EU driving license would be ok, but only if you're travelling within a country on a plane, for example...I travel on an American passport & my husband is English...but I remember when we went to Amsterdam, he had his passport & had to show it. Likewise, we're going to Riga this summer & he does need it. I've only travelled down to London a few times recently & you definitely need either a passport or an EU driving license & it must match your ticket (name)...I also have noted that London has far more intense security at the airport than Edinburgh.

So I think it depends on where you are travelling to& how, ie, plane, train, etc, and also from where you originated. Because of the bombings & plots in recent years in the UK, I know they are pretty strict about it & it hasn't relaxed...I was down to London a few months ago & the airport security was just as strict as ever.

The only time I have had to show a travel document/ID in the UK whilst travelling by train, was when I went from Newcastle to Edinburgh during the G8 summit in 2005.

This is a really strange case, especially since it has been so long and no family member or friend has come forward. It's very odd.

About the English books - I have two friends in Finland and they both know multiple languages including English, which they use every day on the Internet. They also regularly travel to England. So I'm not sure if a book in English is a clue that this woman was really Anglicized or not.

The only time I have had to show a travel document/ID in the UK whilst travelling by train, was when I went from Newcastle to Edinburgh during the G8 summit in 2005.

I was living in London in August 2007, my husband and two young children and I took the train to Edinburgh for a holiday...we did not have to show any kind of ID. We did take our passports etc just to be on the safe side as the terrorist problem was still quite prevalent.

Maz

I just came across this case and I feel so sad about it. She apparently walked into the woods alone and never came out. Here is here Doenetwork page.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/688uffin.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 688UFFIN

688UFFIN.jpg
688UFFIN1.jpg
688UFFIN2.jpg

Sketch of Victim
Unidentified Female

• The victim was discovered on April 6, 2007 near Orivesi, Finland
  • Estimated Date of Death: 2+ weeks
  • Cause of Death: The cause of death has not been revealed to the public.
  • State of Remains: Decomposed

Vital Statistics

• Estimated age: 25-40 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5" (166 cm); 52 kilos.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark brown, shoulder length hair that was not dyed. She had golden brown hairpiece on her forehead; slim build;
    she had most likely given birth; she had emerging osteoporosis.
  • Clothing: Her clothing were all of the brand called "NEXT": Light brown suede coat (?); darker brown velvet trousers; beige scarf; gloves; black beanie; brown leather boots; brown shoulder bag
  • Personal Effects: The following items were found next to her: 3 bottles of water (0,5 l) by Novelle, two of them had been drunk; a silver ring with a lilac stone, no engravings; an Mp3-player by Thomson Lyra (?); brown shoulder bag. The following items were found in the shoulder bag: 2 packs of cigarettes, both purchased from Finland (labels: Lucky Strike and Goldfield), and a lighter; a hairbrush; scissors; a pen; a flashlight; sunglasses; a lotion tube; Calvin & Hobbes comic book - "Weirdos from another Planet" (in English); a purse which consist of less than 100 euros of cash, a few German 2c coins, not used in Finland, and an English penny coin; pieces of two separate bus tickets. The other ticket showed the following texts: “Jämsä-Tampere”, “98 km” and “19.2.” The other ticket was blue and had no texts on it.
  • Mp3 player: The Mp3 player was a Thomson Lyra, model 2762 X. The player included 86 songs from ia. The Beatles, A-ha, Procol Harum and Coldplay and a few instrumental songs. It was discovered at the laboratory, that the player had last been connected to a computer on February 15th 2007. No pictures or Word-files were found. Language settings were in English.
  • Dentals: Her teeth were well taken care of.
  • DNA: Available

Case History
The victim was found near Orivesi, Finland on April 6, 2007.
The place the victim was located is about six kilometers from the centre of the nearest town, Orivesi and about 1,5 to 2 kilometers from the nearest highway. It is obvious, that she got there by walking, because no trace of any vehicle was found. A single footprint showed that the woman had walked there alone.
There were no signs of physical abuse or an accident. Due to the fact there were some sort of drugs in her coat pocket, it is most likely that she committed suicide by taking an overdose.
A sports bag, that had label Get Act. on its side, was found on February 20th at Orivesi. The sport’s bag belonged to the unknown woman according to DNA- tests. There were some clean clothes and underwear and two pieces of a German passport in the bag. The pieces of passport and the English penny found in her purse may indicate that she was a German who had stayed or visited England or other way around. All labels were cut off from the clothes. It is still an unknown matter where she had purchased the bag.
688UFFIN3.jpg
688UFFIN4.jpg
688UFFIN5.jpg
688UFFIN6.jpg
688UFFIN7.jpg

Victim's purse, sports bag, Mp3 player and clothing

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Finnish National Bureau of Investigation (Keskusrikospoliisi)
Email

You may remain anonymous when submitting information. Source Information:
identifyme.org

Mp3-player found on this woman might give us a clue to her identity. :waitasec:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Mp3-player+by+Thomson+Lyra

Thomson Lyra PDP2662S MP3 player review | T3.com

25 Oct 2007 ... Review of the Thomson Lyra PDP2662S MP3 player from T3 online. Add your own consumer review!
www.t3.com/.../mp3-player/thomson-lyra-pdp2662s-mp3-player-review - Cached - Similar
Thomson Lyra H208 MP3 Player - Portable - Music

6 posts - 2 authors - Last post: 10 Feb 2007
HI people!!!I bought a thomson LYRa H208 yesterday from dick smith in parramatta westfield. I'm just wondering has anyone heard of this mp3 ...
forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.../681038.html - Cached - Similar
Cheap Thomson Lyra 6652 player question - Portable - Music

4 posts - 2 authors - Last post: 12 Aug 2007
I just bought a 1GB Thomson Lyra model 6652 mp3 player from DSE. For under $40 it's great! After buying it I was surprised to see it has FM ...
forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.../796262.html - Cached - Similar
Thomson Lyra EM2601 1 GB - Portable MP3 Player with reviews and ...

Thomson Lyra EM2601 1 GB with consumer reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk.
www.dooyoo.co.uk/...mp3-player/thomson-lyra-em2601-1-gb/ - Cached - Similar
Thomson Lyra PDP2562 512 MB - Portable MP3 Player with reviews and ...

Thomson Lyra PDP2562 512 MB with consumer reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk.
www.dooyoo.co.uk/...mp3-player/thomson-lyra-pdp-2562-512-mb/ - Cached - Similar

I was living in London in August 2007, my husband and two young children and I took the train to Edinburgh for a holiday...we did not have to show any kind of ID. We did take our passports etc just to be on the safe side as the terrorist problem was still quite prevalent.

Maz

hi, Mazama--

I just meant I only had to show it at the train stations one time, which was during the G8 summit in Edinburgh in July 2005 (travelling from Newcastle to Edinburgh). I've not had to do it any other time for train travel.

Just flew from Glasgow Prestwick to Riga, Latvia & back--English husband and I had to show our passports a few times between checking one piece of luggage & boarding the aeroplanes, both ways. Lativia, btw, is now part of the EU. I'm not an EU citizen & the only difference was that my passport was stamped entering Latvia, leaving Latvia & re-entering the UK. Husband only had to show his in both places, both ways.

hi, Mazama--

I just meant I only had to show it at the train stations one time, which was during the G8 summit in Edinburgh in July 2005 (travelling from Newcastle to Edinburgh). I've not had to do it any other time for train travel.

Understandably so with the G8 Summit going on then. :smile:

Maz

Mp3-player found on this woman might give us a clue to her identity. :waitasec:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Mp3-player+by+Thomson+Lyra

<LI class=g>Thomson Lyra PDP2662S MP3 player review | T3.com

25 Oct 2007 ... Review of the Thomson Lyra PDP2662S MP3 player from T3 online. Add your own consumer review!
www.t3.com/.../mp3-player/thomson-lyra-pdp2662s-mp3-player-review - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Thomson Lyra H208 MP3 Player - Portable - Music

6 posts - 2 authors - Last post: 10 Feb 2007
HI people!!!I bought a thomson LYRa H208 yesterday from dick smith in parramatta westfield. I'm just wondering has anyone heard of this mp3 ...
forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.../681038.html - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g style="MARGIN-LEFT: 3em">Cheap Thomson Lyra 6652 player question - Portable - Music

4 posts - 2 authors - Last post: 12 Aug 2007
I just bought a 1GB Thomson Lyra model 6652 mp3 player from DSE. For under $40 it's great! After buying it I was surprised to see it has FM ...
forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.../796262.html - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Thomson Lyra EM2601 1 GB - Portable MP3 Player with reviews and ...

Thomson Lyra EM2601 1 GB with consumer reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk.
www.dooyoo.co.uk/...mp3-player/thomson-lyra-em2601-1-gb/ - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g style="MARGIN-LEFT: 3em">Thomson Lyra PDP2562 512 MB - Portable MP3 Player with reviews and ...

Thomson Lyra PDP2562 512 MB with consumer reviews and price comparison at dooyoo.co.uk.
www.dooyoo.co.uk/...mp3-player/thomson-lyra-pdp-2562-512-mb/ - Cached - Similar

After reading some of the reviews and looking at the dates, most of those people posted after her body was found. There were 2 or 3 people who posted comments about a similar MP3 player, not the same one that she had, those posts were dated Feb 2007 but the way they were written tends to make me think they were males writing them.

JMO

Maz

Just bumping her up..
This is quite heart-breaking and sad story for me..We don´t have many unidentifed persons in Finland..

Finnish sources say that the police may know who this Jane Doe is. It has not been definitely confirmed yet but they're suspecting it's a German woman from Braunschweig who is 40-50 years old. Her name has not been released but she hadn't been reported missing. The German police is helping to investigate further. The cause of death is not related to crime, according to the police.

Here's the source (unfortunately not in English and the Google translation was rather unreadable so I won't bother posting it here)
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2010011510933273_uu.shtml

Finnish sources say that the police may know who this Jane Doe is. It has not been definitely confirmed yet but they're suspecting it's a German woman from Braunschweig who is 40-50 years old. Her name has not been released but she hadn't been reported missing. The German police is helping to investigate further. The cause of death is not related to crime, according to the police.

Here's the source (unfortunately not in English and the Google translation was rather unreadable so I won't bother posting it here)
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2010011510933273_uu.shtml

great find, Donjeta--many thanks! Let's hope for the best.

Oriveden cope with the mystery of the deceased
Friday 15/1/2010 at 09.12 (update at 15.41)

Central Bureau of Investigation believes strongly that it had found Oriveden in 2007 found an unidentified deceased person's identity.

- It has to survive, establish a detective sergeant Ismo Kopra, but adds that there is no confirmation about it yet.

The deceased is believed to be a German who is from Braunschweig from 40 and 50 year old female. KRP was just before Christmas, the inquiries found that there were at the time of discovery of the body was that woman Oriveden Jämsä and regions. Now, the German police to find out whether it is the same woman, and what else he relates.

- Initial data indicate that a woman has not been found in Germany, "says Kopra.

A woman does not Kopran the missing person had been made.

To have been unknown to the woman's body found in woods near Orituvan Traffic Terminal in April 2007. Woman's bag found Oriveden bussikatoksesta station and there were fragments of the German passport.

The deceased's identity or nationality is not clear to the police investigation. Oriveden the deceased were buried in the cemetery in November 2008. Last December, the tomb was opened and the remains were recovered for examination.

To resolving the mystery of the first police told the TV website, and Thursday's program.

Woman's death not linked to the crime of Kopran

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back