Fire Rips Through Manhattan High Rise

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Blondie in Spokane, Jan 5, 2014.

  1. Blondie in Spokane

    Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,519
    Likes Received:
    246
    Trophy Points:
    63
    http://nypost.com/2014/01/05/fire-rips-through-manhattan-high-rise/

    "A furious blaze tore through a Manhattan high-rise Sunday morning, critically injuring at least two people and leaving desperate residents fleeing flaming balconies and smoke-filled hallways."

    "The fire erupted on the 20th floor of the 42-story apartment building at 500 43rd St. at about 11 a.m., authorities said."

    "One neighbor witnessed a resident pleading for help from his 20th-floor balcony.
    “I was in my living room, and I heard screaming,” said Eirik Mosveen, who lives down the block."

    “I came outside, and when I looked up, I saw a man on the balcony screaming. A short time later, the flames were covering the balcony. I hope he got out.”
     
  2. Loading...


  3. Blondie in Spokane

    Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,519
    Likes Received:
    246
    Trophy Points:
    63
    'Stuck on 26th floor': New York City father live tweets ordeal from burning luxury Manhattan skyscraper in fire that left two badly hurt"

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-takes-Twitter-reveal-family-stuck-fire.html

    "A New York City father began posting harrowing tweets online revealing how his high rise apartment building was burning below him - trapping him and his family inside."

    "Updating his Twitter account from the 26th floor of his Midtown apartment, scientist Gurinder Singh 'Mickey' Atwal tweeted that he was unable to escape with his wife and two-year-old son because the stairwells were blanketed with thick smoke."

    "As the fire raged, over 200 firefighters rushed to the 42-storey building at 500 West 43 Street in Manhattan to fight the blaze."

    "Atwal then dramatically revealed that he and his family had sought refuge on their balcony away from the suffocating smoke."

    "Eventually however, firefighters made it to Atwal after battling to reach them and others stranded by the fire which began on the 20th floor and escorted him and his family to safety."
     
  4. MamaJoJo

    MamaJoJo Where did you go?

    Messages:
    3,215
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    The two men who were hurt in the fire had been safe in their apartment. They left their unit to evacuate and were injured (smoke) once they entered the stairwell. This article suggests they weren't supposed to leave their apartment. Well, how in the world are you supposed to know which is the greater danger: staying put or running for your life? I hope they are okay.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...midtown-manhattan-high-rise-article-1.1566819
     
  5. Blondie in Spokane

    Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,519
    Likes Received:
    246
    Trophy Points:
    63
    "One man died and another was badly injured when a Hell’s Kitchen condo tower became a smoke-filled trap to residents weighing whether to stay or flee Sunday morning, residents and authorities said."

    "The blaze at the luxury Strand Condominium on W. 43rd St. broke out in an apartment on the 20th floor of the 41-story building around 11 a.m., killing resident Daniel McClung, 27, as he tried to escape from the 32nd floor, cops said."


    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...tan-high-rise-article-1.1566819#ixzz2paPwTugy
     
  6. txsvicki

    txsvicki Active Member

    Messages:
    14,189
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    How tragic and sad, and terrifying for the residents.
     
  7. wfgodot

    wfgodot Former Member

    Messages:
    30,162
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/01/05/3-alarm-blaze-breaks-out-on-west-side/
     
  8. Blondie in Spokane

    Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,519
    Likes Received:
    246
    Trophy Points:
    63
    Per Fox News.....allegedly the fire was started by overloaded electrical wires from Christmas tree.
     
  9. Blondie in Spokane

    Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    9,519
    Likes Received:
    246
    Trophy Points:
    63

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice