First tornado death of 2013 ends record 220-day streak without a tornado death

Discussion in 'Weather' started by Reader, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Reader

Reader New Member

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2340

A powerful tornado ripped through Adairsville, Georgia, northwest of Atlanta, at 11:19 am EST this morning, killing at least one person in a mobile home park. The tornado caused major structural damage in the downtown district, and overturned approximately 100 cars on I-75 near Exit 306 (see eyewitness video here, with swear words.) Eight injuries, some serious, are also being reported from a tornado just southeast of Calhoun, GA around 11:30am EST. NOAA's Storm Prediction Center has placed most of the Southeast in their "Slight Risk" region for severe weather for Wednesday, a step down from the "Moderate Risk" potential issued on Tuesday for the Midwest. Three other tornadoes have hit Georgia today, and there were 79 reports of wind damage due to high winds as of 2 pm EST along the cold front that triggered today's severe weather, from Alabama to Pennsylvania. Tornado watches continue for a wide swath of the Southeast this afternoon, from Alabama to North Carolina.

Much more at link if you scroll down...video and picture of the tornado and damage, and reports....

2. Loading...

3. mysteriew

mysteriew A diamond in process

4. mysteriew

Isn't it early for tornados? I have a feeling this is going to be a bad weather year.

5. mysteriew

6. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

Yeah it is unusual for January but yesterday was an incredibly warm and stormy day (tornado weather, temps in the high seventies and high winds).

We lost power for 6 hours, fortunately I was so busy trying to get the generator to start (unsuccessfully) that I didn't have time to worry about tornadoes.

7. mysteriew

Looks like it isn't over yet

8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

I'm a severe weather spotter for the NWS and we learned that tornadoes can, and have, happened in every month on the calender, and also in every state in the U.S.

9. blue_the_puppy

blue_the_puppy Member