First US patient gets face transplant

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by JBean, May 6, 2009.

1. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

Surgeons have replaced 80% of a woman's face, transplanting bone, teeth, muscle and nerve in the first such operation in the United States.

They said the woman suffered severe trauma that cost her an eye, much of her nose and her upper jaw and left her unable to breathe, smell, taste or smile properly.

"You need a face to face the world," Dr Maria Siemionow, director of plastic surgery research at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, where the operation was performed, told a news conferenc

Picture at link

2. Loading...

3. MeoW333

MeoW333 New Member

4. Gozgals

Gozgals New Member

This is a true advancement for the medical world. What a miracle for the patient. I'm so happy to read about this. She now has another chance at a life. This is just amazing.

Thanks for the post

Always
    Gozgals

5. roller26

roller26 New Member

Omg! That is amazing & wonderful! Thank you for posting. Hope her recovery goes well- she's been thru SO much already.

6. sillygoose

sillygoose Member

Her nose is perfect! The surgeons did an incredible job. I can't imagine not having a nose to breathe and smell with. How wonderful to get that back. I wish her all the best! :)

7. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

Such a wonderful thing to see! Can you imagine what's in store for others over the next few years as this surgery advances? Absolutely incredible.

8. lizzybeth

lizzybeth Active Member

It IS amazing. Who would have ever thought, even five years ago, that this would be possible. I'm so glad the surgeons were able to help this lady. It looks like they've really done a good job too if the picture is only two weeks after the surgery. I'm sure she still has some swelling.

I wonder though, how it affects the patient when they look in the mirror. Sure, they're happy they no longer have to hide, but does it bother them that they no longer look like themselves; that they possibly look just like someone else?

9. Boyz_Mum

Boyz_Mum New Member

It is amazing. I hope with this case, doctors are able to go forward and utilize the knowledge to help in other cases where people are disfigured (burns, accidents, etc...)

I am praying this lady has happy years ahead of her, she's an inspiration.
    :blowkiss:

10. cinsbythesea

cinsbythesea Active Member

truly amazing what they can do these days medically and surgically. I have to wonder why the animal husband of hers only got seven years - doesn't seem right at all.

11. PattyCake

PattyCake Gypsy By Heart

What she originally looked like:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/MindMoodNews/Story?id=7511337&page=2

It looks so strange to me. Amazing medical feat although far from perfected. I have a hard time when I see what she looked like originally - to her new face.

But happy for her that she can have more of a life now with this surgery. Congrats to the docs.

12. jannuncutt

jannuncutt jannuncutt

I agree with you. She saw and heard her on one of the morning news shows. She said, "I am not a monster". How sad!

13. Gozgals

Gozgals New Member

I have to wonder too why his sentence was so short. :furious: He really is a monster this man.

I read she forgave him. I hope she did not take him back. What a tough lady and to forgive a monster takes a lot of guts. I admire her.

Always
    Gozgals

14. ziggy

ziggy New Member

Sadly I did hear a report on the Tele. that she was considering taking him back! Can't verify that, just heard it and thought, what????

15. lizzybeth

lizzybeth Active Member

:eek: I hope that's a rumor. Someone shoots you in the face with a shotgun, destroying your face and putting you through years of pain, and you take him back. Say it ain't so.

16. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

I caught the tale end of an old interview with her before her new face...she said she will always love him and didn't want to answer questions about what will happen when he is released from prison.:eek:

17. lizzybeth

lizzybeth Active Member

:banghead:

I hope with the new face she's getting counseling. The surgeons should make her sign a contract that she won't go back to him. They might not offer her this opportunity again.

[​IMG]

18. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

That's too bad and sadly not surprising. It's that type of relationship dynamic, that would lead to someone being in a relationship, that would end that way to begin with.

19. Boyz_Mum

Boyz_Mum New Member

I hope this isn't true about her wanting to be with this man. May she have the strength and courage to move on to a better life. The circumstance/outcome of the shooting wasn't the same, but Mary Jo Buttafuoco was able to overcome being shot by Amy Fischer (husband behind the act) and she is living a decent life from what I've read. Lots of prayers for this woman to do the same.

20. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

http://www.wowowow.com/relationship...rning-america-thomas-culp-diane-sawyer-290380

clip of interview with Connie at link. At bottom of article.

http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...-wife-in-face-by-accident/UPI-61791241836476/

I can't find an article that says she is the one that wants to reconcile but the above link says that he did say it.

http://www.wtov9.com/news/19409532/detail.html

When I first saw her picture after the surgery, I wondered if some of that was swelling and some might be caused by anti-rejection drugs. I think her appearance will be very different as time passes.

21. Recovering-Lurker

Recovering-Lurker I'm Back and on My Best Behavior

http://www.ecanadanow.com/curiosity...h-shows-face-on-oprah-before-and-after-photo/

**Warning: Graphic photos.** So sad. She is so much more positive than I could be. What a strong woman.