GUILTY FL – Chad, 59, Margaret, 61, & son, Cody Amato, 31, fatally shot by other son, Chuluota, 25 Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by SeesSeas, Jan 25, 2019.

1. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

2. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Grant Amato appeals murder convictions, life sentence for killings of parents, brother
    AUG 15, 2019 | 11:47 AM
    Grant Amato, the Chuluota man recently found guilty of murder in the killings of his parents and brother, is appealing his convictions and life sentence, according to court documents filed Thursday.
    [...]
    In a two-page notice filed Thursday, Seminole-Brevard Chief Assistant Public Defender Michael Mario Pirolo listed 10 decisions by Circuit Judge Jessica Recksiedler before and during the trial that will be the basis for Amato’s appeal.

Among those rulings were:

• Recksielder’s denial of defense motions seeking to suppress evidence. Amato’s lawyers had sought to prevent jurors from seeing his interrogation by Seminole County detectives and evidence found inside the family’s home, among other elements of the case.
    • The judge allowing testimony about an IWI Jericho 941 handgun that a friend of Grant and Cody, Blake Turpin, said went missing from his home prior to the killings. Prosecutors argued Grant Amato took the gun, which has not been found, and used it to kill his family.
    • That a forensic investigator who testified that Cody Amato’s iPhone was plugged into Grant Amato’s computer on the night of the killings was allowed to speculate that whoever connected the device to the computer was likely trying to erase its data.
    Amato’s appeal will be considered by the Fifth District Court of Appeal in Daytona Beach.

Marg from Oz, Gardenista and Niner like this.
  3. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

Snippets of jailhouse phone conversation included in video at link:
    Man found guilty of murdering parents, brother started working on appeal before sentencing
    Updated: Aug 19, 2019 - 8:04 PM
    SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. - For the first time since he was convicted of murdering his parents and brother in their Seminole County home, we are hearing from the killer.

The new jailhouse conversation comes as Grant Amato's appeal continues.

The phone call took place inside the Seminole County Jail after a jury found Amato guilty of the murders but before the sentencing phase started.

In the call, Amato -- who is talking to a man filming a documentary about the murders -- was already thinking about the appeals process.

Just five days after Amato was convicted of murdering his mother Margaret, father Chad and brother Cody in their Chuluota home in January, his first phone call was to a New York man making a documentary about his case.

Colin Archdeacon: "I feel bad about, uh, the state you are living in right now."

Amato: "Oh no, no worry about it. I mean, I'm just doing my thing you know, it's all good."

There was little emotion from Amato and nothing said about his family. There was also no concern over whether he could be sentenced to death for the crimes he was convicted of committing.

Archdeacon: "How are you feeling? Do you think you are kind of adjusting to the verdict still?"

Amato: "Yeah, still adjusting to it. Uh, you know it's not so much the uh, the verdict that came back. It's just you know, coming to terms with you know, the time I'm going to have to wait."
    [...]

Marg from Oz, Niner and Jewels53 like this.
  4. SeesSeas

SeesSeas FLORIDIAN

1. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 3h3 hours ago
      Grant Amato said he will take the stand for his appeal hearing if he needs to because he can’t be cross examined
    2. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 3h3 hours ago
      Prosecutors says Amato killed family after they put him in rehab: obsessed with “Silvie” adult website girlfriend
    3. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 3h3 hours ago
      Grant Amato sized up his fellow inmates saying some are “terrible people” and others like him are “innocent”
    4. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 3h3 hours ago
      Amato said he is calm because he doesn’t know what he’s up against: never been to prison before
    5. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 3h3 hours ago
      Producer was “flabbergasted” by how calm Amato sounded: facing life in prison or even death sentence
    6. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 3h3 hours ago
      Armani said he was less concerned about the guilty verdict and more about time he will have to wait in jail on appeal
    7. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 3h3 hours ago
      In jailhouse interview done by producer doing doc on case: Amato said he hopes to get out of jail in a year
    8. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 3h3 hours ago
      Amato was convicted of killing parents & brother after stealing around 200k to spend on adult website girlfriend
    9. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 4h4 hours ago
      In the interview Grant Amato: who was given a life sentence for the triple murder: says his appeal is “solid”
    10. Michelle Meredith‏Verified account @MichelleWESH 4h4 hours ago
      A recent jailhouse phone interview gives insight into mind of Seminole Co. man convicted of killing most his family

Marg from Oz, Niner and Jewels53 like this.
  5. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

COURT TV
    2h ·
    TONIGHT: #GrantAmato was convicted of killing his parents and brother over his obsession with a Bulgarian webcam model. Now, his legal team is appealing the conviction.

Plus, #TheKillerClown case finally goes to trial 30 years after the murder of 40-year-old Marlene Warren.

Watch #CourtTV LIVE tonight at 8/7c. court.tv/live

Marg from Oz likes this.
  6. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

@Gardenista - are you going to watch this CourtTV re Grant Amato? If so, can you give us a synopsis on what happened? I'm interested in the date of this appeal. TIA! :)

Marg from Oz and Alice253 like this.
  7. Niner

I just found my notes on his first appeal back on 8/16/19:

8/16/19 Update: Grant Amato is appealing his convictions & life sentence, according to court documents filed Thursday, 8/16/19. among those rulings were: *Recksielder’s denial of defense motions seeking to suppress evidence. Amato’s lawyers had sought to prevent jurors from seeing his interrogation by Seminole County detectives and evidence found inside the family’s home, among other elements of the case.
    *The judge allowing testimony about an IWI Jericho 941 handgun that a friend of Grant & Cody, Blake Turpin, said went missing from his home prior to the killings. Prosecutors argued Grant Amato took the gun, which has not been found, and used it to kill his family.
    *That a forensic investigator who testified that Cody Amato’s iPhone was plugged into Grant Amato’s computer on the night of the killings was allowed to speculate that whoever connected the device to the computer was likely trying to erase its data. Amato’s appeal will be considered by the Fifth District Court of Appeal in Daytona Beach.

Just wondering if the 5th District Court of Appeal in Daytona Beach ever came back with a resolution. I'm guessing they denied it - if he is appealing again?

Marg from Oz and Alice253 like this.
  8. Alice253

Alice253 Live Every Moment

Niner, do we have a case number for the COA? I can access the site, and the decisions are posted and just 239 pages for the past year! If I had a case # it would be so much easier LOL! Otherwise it will take me a while to go through all of them but I will if necessary! :)

Marg from Oz likes this.
  9. Niner

@Alice253 - sorry I don't have the COA case # - I do have the murder case #
    *Seminole County #2019CF000337A Don't know if that would help you?

Marg from Oz likes this.
  10. Le Singe

Le Singe Well-Known Member

I know there is a lot of information out there for this case are the full unedited copies of the phone calls available or a transcript of them?